Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91796 Likes Search this Thread
12-09-2017, 08:54 AM   #26986
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Cape May = Exit Zero, I was there once as a wee lad, some 40 years ago, on Family Vacation. Don't remember a darn thing about it other than I got car sick on the way down. I'm sure a great place for photography, though, if one can dodge the tourists.
I also remember visiting Cape May as a child. What I remember most was the sunken cement ship off the coast. Yes indeed, it was a ship made out of concrete, of all materials. Don't know if it's still there since that was many decades ago.

12-09-2017, 09:12 AM   #26987
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
OOPS! I made a mental typing error. Cape May was the location of the ferry dock before the bridge-tunnel complex was built. I have been there a few times doing some beach combing, and Audubon back then used to set up mist nets during migration season to do a bird count (Cape May is a bit a of a funnel-neck along the Atlantic flyway),

BUT, Cape May isn't where my mother grew up. That is the much more out-of-the-way, cannot-get-there-unless-you-try-really-hard town of Port Norris. It is sufficiently off the beaten track that we got lost twice trying to get there, including doing one classic complete circle and winding up back where we started (a consequence of a tiny bridge, shown on our map, that had been totally dismantled). It is an interesting little town, with several Victorian-era houses still standing, including the one where mom grew up - I think (50 + year gap in my visits, and five-six year old kids don't necessarily make detailed mental images of a building). The aunts who raised her also had a summer place in Wildwood, which mother sometimes spoke of fondly, but SFAIK I never visited that house. They called it "Greystone" because, I think, of the decorative stone or molded cement pillars that supported the front porch roof, visible in a poor photo of mother when a teenager.
I know that some wildlife photogs like to go to Cape May for birds - not too many places here in Joisey to get snaps of snowy owls.

I'd never heard of Port Norris until you just mentioned it, but I live near a town called Port Morris, on the edge of Lake Musconetcong.

"Greystone" gave me a chuckle. About a half-hour drive from me is the former Greystone Psychiatric Hospital, which has since been shut down and partially demolished. Periodically the local newspapers would alert us to an escapee. Probably safest to photograph said escapee with a 600/5.6.

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
I also remember visiting Cape May as a child. What I remember most was the sunken cement ship off the coast. Yes indeed, it was a ship made out of concrete, of all materials. Don't know if it's still there since that was many decades ago.
That ship's a relic of WW1. I'd imagine it's well-disintegrated by now.
12-09-2017, 09:21 AM   #26988
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some years ago on the Wet (sic) Coast of Canada there were a few concrete boats made, commercial and pleasure. My family was a wooden hull family:
commercial fishermen. I remember dreading spring. It was time to stand in the mud and caulk the seams at low tide with the boat on supports ...
12-09-2017, 09:42 AM   #26989
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
time to stand in the mud and caulk the seams at low tide with the boat on supports ...
Ah, yes: good times, I imagine.

12-09-2017, 11:35 AM   #26990
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote

That ship's a relic of WW1. I'd imagine it's well-disintegrated by now.
QuoteQuote:
The wreckage of SS Atlantus (commissioned in 1919, sunk in 1926), is visible off Sunset Beach near Cape May, New Jersey. 38.944322°N 74.972083°W[22]
Concrete ship - Wikipedia
12-09-2017, 11:48 AM   #26991
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I posted a link in the Pentax Price Watch section but thought I'd give everyone here a heads-up on a trio of interesting Tamron teles on ebay, if interested.
12-09-2017, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #26992
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This might be a cement-hulled ship. Photographed up the Sacramento River about 1963-64. Scanned from a chrome, cropped, converted to B&W

Attached Images

12-09-2017, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #26993
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxians Quote
Very fortunate that this little gem (measuring around 18-20cm) visiting the local park on 1st of December few weeks ago. Missed it last year due to some irresponsible paparrazi (calling them as paparrazi instead of wildlife photographer) shaking the tree (just wanna to get the big eye shot) while he's resting, end up he didn't stay long... I hope that this year ALL the photographers behave and be responsible, let him take a rest after the long haul..
Luis, these are wonderful captures. Enjoying all your shots.
12-10-2017, 05:09 AM - 1 Like   #26994
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Luis, these are wonderful captures. Enjoying all your shots.
Thanks for the encouragement quotes Des!
12-10-2017, 09:18 AM - 11 Likes   #26995
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Some more birds. This time with 150-450 lens.

Ashy drongo

Grey francolin

Blue-tailed bee-eater
12-11-2017, 03:20 AM   #26996
Veteran Member

Their sharp shots
12-11-2017, 05:23 AM - 7 Likes   #26997
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tamron 400mm f4. Oldie but goodie.
Attached Images

12-11-2017, 07:18 AM - 8 Likes   #26998
Forum Member

DA* 300mm + 1.4x

12-11-2017, 08:06 AM   #26999
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
All my posts these days are on flickr, so you can see the info by clicking on the photo and scrolling down the page. The problem being I have two ways to get to 500mm, the Tamron 300 2.8 and 1.7x AF Adapter or the DA*200 with the 1.4 and 1.7x stacked. The first two are the DA*200 and stacked TCs, the third is the DA*200 with the 1.4, all on the K-3.
For teleconverters they are excellent I couldn't pick it looks like I'll be taking mine out next time. I'll have to find a 1.7 as well. Well I better get back into this K-5ii and see if I can get control of this iso. Have a nice evening, one other thing your shots reminded me of a documentary on a colour blind photographer, He shot for the contrasts instead of the colour and aspects of your shots remind me of him (thats a compliment) as he was good.
12-11-2017, 08:22 AM   #27000
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kombivan Quote
For teleconverters they are excellent I couldn't pick it looks like I'll be taking mine out next time. I'll have to find a 1.7 as well. Well I better get back into this K-5ii and see if I can get control of this iso. Have a nice evening, one other thing your shots reminded me of a documentary on a colour blind photographer, He shot for the contrasts instead of the colour and aspects of your shots remind me of him (thats a compliment) as he was good.
Having had the opportunity to hang out with many working pros, my preference is a little to the higher end of the contrast scale than most. I don't mind losing shadow detail or detail in highlights is it gets me more subject contrast. More typical of most of the pros I've worked with is a commitment to preserving all possible detail. Of course with photoshop (or in my case Aperture) you can do both things, but, my main focus has always been contrast in the subject.
« Lens Fetish Club | - »