Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2018, 01:58 PM   #27226
Airplane Builder
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kombivan Quote
Good Morning everyone and thank you for your input, so if you overestimate the size of your lens basicly the shake reduction should work against you by over correcting so best to have the correct final size got it, I have been experimenting with the high iso might have to get myself a new fishing rod holder for my waist and get the old mono-pod out. I lost the comfortable one I had.
That's a decent result.

But since the lens was set at 28mm, wouldn't this be better shared in the 28mm lens thread here?

01-07-2018, 02:02 PM - 5 Likes   #27227
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
It's been my recent experience, shooting at focal lengths up to 700mm, that as long as your hands are on the camera - even when mounted on a tripod - SR ON is the way to go.

Having just migrated from a K-5 II (16 MP, AA filter) to a K-3 II (24 MP, no filter) I've found I need to increase shutter speed by 1/2 stop or so when photographing critters. When photographing something perfectly static, like a large tree, I can keep the shutter speed as low on my K-3 II as I did on the K-5 II, but once the birds are involved, the higher-specified camera is more demanding. Just my .02
Ok, time to muddy the waters. Just took some test shots with the A ☆ 400 and the AF 1.7, SR off. I did do one other thing after luftfluss mentioned his concerns high ISO, I re-set mine to Auto 100-6400, [I had the max set to 800] upped the shutter speed and f stop and now I have male cardinal pictures that I don't trash the second I see them! My photo lab background is still in my memory, I never shot ASA 800 film [or higher] unless it was infrared and then the grain did not matter. It seems the K-3II can do higher, than I am use to, ISO. Much more testing on my part is needed, again! The discussions here have been very informative and keep me testing to see what I can do with my gear and I do thank everyone who does offer an opinion on how to use our cameras! I also included 2 photos of a deer browsing on the juniper in my front yard. Only this one deer does this as junipers [cedars are what the locals call them] are not a good choice of food for deer.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
01-07-2018, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #27228
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stihlmania Quote
Usually the type of attention, birders and many photographers seem blissfully unaware that they do this, that scares everything away you have spent hours waiting to photograph! I try to hide my set up, as much is possible, behind a tree, a shrub or a bush. I can be an anti-social old fart when I am around my lens! Haha!
I come that way
but if a gigungo lens will justify it...i'll explain it to the treasury...i'm sure she'll understand
01-07-2018, 07:19 PM - 12 Likes   #27229
Pentaxian

Ok, time to muddy the waters. Just took some test shots with the A ☆ 400 and the AF 1.7, SR off. I did do one other thing after luftfluss mentioned his concerns high ISO, I re-set mine to Auto 100-6400, [I had the max set to 800] upped the shutter speed and f stop and now I have male cardinal pictures that I don't trash the second I see them! My photo lab background is still in my memory, I never shot ASA 800 film [or higher] unless it was infrared and then the grain did not matter. It seems the K-3II can do higher, than I am use to, ISO. Much more testing on my part is needed, again! The discussions here have been very informative and keep me testing to see what I can do with my gear and I do thank everyone who does offer an opinion on how to use our cameras! I also included 2 photos of a deer browsing on the juniper in my front yard. Only this one deer does this as junipers [cedars are what the locals call them] are not a good choice of food for deer.
Nice work! I wasn't happy with my Adaptall 300/2.8 + 1.7x AFA until the total aperture was down to f/8 (at least)... but your A* 400/2.8 is probably a bit sharper. IMO the biggest challenge is getting enough depth of field, since the TC does not help with that.

Here's a cardinal shot from last May, ISO 2200. K-5 II + Adaptall 200-500/5.6 @ 400mm + Tamron 1.4x TC:

One of the great things about digital is we get to experiment and push boundaries without it costing in film and developing.

01-07-2018, 07:21 PM - 1 Like   #27230
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Amazing what discussions on this forum can come up with!
Thank goodness. I need these discussions to keep learning.
01-08-2018, 03:56 AM   #27231
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Nice work! I wasn't happy with my Adaptall 300/2.8 + 1.7x AFA until the total aperture was down to f/8 (at least)... but your A* 400/2.8 is probably a bit sharper. IMO the biggest challenge is getting enough depth of field, since the TC does not help with that.

Here's a cardinal shot from last May, ISO 2200. K-5 II + Adaptall 200-500/5.6 @ 400mm + Tamron 1.4x TC:

One of the great things about digital is we get to experiment and push boundaries without it costing in film and developing.
With the 400 at f 2.8, the depth of field can be measured in inches when focused between 15 [minimum distance is 14] and 20 feet!! F/8 is where I normally want the f stop for depth of field. I am still learning to forget my film ways! Haha!
01-08-2018, 06:07 AM   #27232
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A phalarope - spastically busy little birds.
Attached Images

01-08-2018, 10:35 AM   #27233
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just 'cause some of you will want to peek...my FA*600/4 is posted in the marketplace for some lucky buyer! It's rare enough to be worthy of posting in the big lens club thread, I think...just for general interest...

01-08-2018, 04:26 PM - 4 Likes   #27234
Pentaxian

With the 400 at f 2.8, the depth of field can be measured in inches when focused between 15 [minimum distance is 14] and 20 feet!! F/8 is where I normally want the f stop for depth of field. I am still learning to forget my film ways! Haha!
Yup, the super-narrow DOF is brutal! A mental hurdle I had with the 1.7x AFA is the fact that it "translated" the aperture value; my other TC's are not AF and don't do that.

A cardinal shot yesterday, as I practiced with my K-3 II + Adaptall 200-500/5.6 + Tamron 1.4x TC.

01-08-2018, 05:00 PM - 5 Likes   #27235
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

K 3 + HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW

a visiting Immature Yellow Crowned Night Heron
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-08-2018, 07:20 PM - 4 Likes   #27236
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Defassa waterbuck. This make has a prominent ring of compressed hair at the base of his neck, and perhaps a fainter ring ahead of it.I wondered if he'd been fitted with a tracking collar at sometime.
Attached Images

01-08-2018, 11:31 PM - 4 Likes   #27237
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One from today, K3-Bigma.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-08-2018, 11:56 PM - 3 Likes   #27238
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Be careful you don't become reliant on guess work and never forget the film techniques as this system was built on top of the film system. You might be confusing different techniques for different types of photography eg this photo attached I use a totally different technique to the guys taking bird shots. I also see an over use in depth of field some photos require a story behind them such as landscape to tell more about the animal and some of these guys are amazing the way they get a photo together, there are some really exceptional photographers in here. I took over 100 shots this morning and only 3 wern't usable because I turned 90 degrees and shot 3 without checking my settings I could save the 3 but I haven't decided on that yet.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
01-09-2018, 03:02 AM - 3 Likes   #27239
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yellow-tailed Black-cockatoo feeding on cypress. Doesn't pay to be underneath when they abandon the cone. K-S2 + DA-L 55-300.

01-09-2018, 04:33 AM - 6 Likes   #27240
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Showing off for any passing female - - of course.
Attached Images