Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2018, 03:54 PM   #27511
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
Don't forget to take your camera - you never know when something interesting will make an appearance!
Good thought, but I drove at 40 Km/h because of visibility problems .... "blowing snow" ....

02-08-2018, 07:43 PM - 12 Likes   #27512
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I moved my blind back 15 feet on the deck, the fox just came in closer, no fear but the shutter does get his attention. I need to put my 55-300 back on. No crop, at least I got a good look in his ear.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
02-08-2018, 07:52 PM   #27513
dbs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Stihlmania

Nice fox shots ,take the 1.7 off and you might see a bit more of the fox
Your foxes seem a bit tamer than ours.

Dave
02-09-2018, 12:56 PM   #27514
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

VERY nice detail and sharpness! Great images!

02-09-2018, 01:16 PM   #27515
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Stihlmania

Nice fox shots ,take the 1.7 off and you might see a bit more of the fox
Your foxes seem a bit tamer than ours.

Dave
I have tried that but the fox moves around very quickly and I have a hard time keeping him in focus manually! I will see what the 55-300 does this weekend.
02-09-2018, 02:24 PM   #27516
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stihlmania Quote
I moved my blind back 15 feet on the deck, the fox just came in closer, no fear but the shutter does get his attention. I need to put my 55-300 back on. No crop, at least I got a good look in his ear.
Amazing shots!! Lucky you.
02-09-2018, 05:22 PM - 4 Likes   #27517
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swip Quote
Amazing shots!! Lucky you.
The fox family is what I have here, and they like my cat so they come right up on the deck and look for her. I did watch carefully when I first noticed the fox hanging around my large wood pile, it was then I saw the 2 young fox hiding in the wood pile. After observing them and my cat in the yard walking about, I can say that they are not a threat to my cat at all as she will chase them if she gets mad. The deer get along with the fox also...everyone likes the sunflower seeds on the ground under the bird feeder.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
02-10-2018, 04:06 AM - 6 Likes   #27518
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
But they are lovely for just being sparrows.
That's right. I can only be glad that they visit me and allow me to photograph 'em.

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
And lovely sparrows they are, too.
Lovely and sometimes they can be pretty noisy, too (when they start to quarrel)

DA560

DA*300 @ 420mm

02-10-2018, 10:06 PM - 1 Like   #27519
Veteran Member

Tawny Frogmouth
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
02-11-2018, 06:03 AM   #27520
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kombivan Quote
Tawny Frogmouth
S/he's so ugly s/he's cute.
02-11-2018, 12:42 PM - 5 Likes   #27521
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ultimate Backyard Birding Lighting?

Before busting this kit into pieces in the marketplace I wanted a final picture of the whole set-up. We "300 plus Clubbers" may be some of the few who can appreciate the insanity! (BTW what I'm busting up is the lighting system, not body, lens or tripod.)

Originally ran this set-up in the film era when lighting presented even more problems than today...With the FA*250-600 (and it's 10 ft. minimum focus distance) this could very well have been the ultimate backyard birding semi-studio set-up. I do have slides of that rig...it was cool! This pic is with the F*300/4.5 and HD 1.4X and K3II giving me frame filling on par with what some would call 630mm on my old film rig.

What you see is an aimable RRS Flash Arm with Extender Post and Twin Flash Bar. The two flashes are my old legacy 500 FTZ's with Fresnel flash projectors. (I more commonly use a 540 and a 360 but I wanted vintage in the photo). The idea is to generate enough light and enough reach without creating eyeshine/redeye in the critter. By moving the strobes a distance off the lens centerline, eyeshine is greatly reduced and usually avoided. Same rig without the extension and just one diffused flash is the ultimate aimable telemacro light set up, and in-fact, I have another smaller Flash Arm permanently affixed to my 200 macro QD plate. The Flash Arm is quite robust and can be used as a handle to lift the whole rig onto the tripod.

Juice comes from the full-sized "shoot all weekend and next weekend too" Quantum Turbo Battery running through a splitter to the two strobes.

OK, I actually took the time to look up original costs on this whole kit...oh, never mind...I eventually got out of the straight jacket!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
02-11-2018, 12:48 PM   #27522
Pentaxian

One heck of a rig, Ron!! I bet it'll "light up the night"!!
02-11-2018, 01:07 PM   #27523
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Before busting this kit into pieces in the marketplace I wanted a final picture of the whole set-up. We "300 plus Clubbers" may be some of the few who can appreciate the insanity! (BTW what I'm busting up is the lighting system, not body, lens or tripod.)

OK, I actually took the time to look up original costs on this whole kit...oh, never mind...I eventually got out of the straight jacket!
SWMBO gave you an earful did she? Nice rig.
02-11-2018, 01:59 PM - 8 Likes   #27524
Pentaxian

K-3ii/FA*600mmF4ED[IF]/Gitzo 1348

1/50 sec

02-11-2018, 03:03 PM - 2 Likes   #27525
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice pics Ducatigaz...just sold my FA*600/4 to a forum member in Australia. It just cleared customs and he should get it tomorrow! Several years ago when I chose to let either the 250-600 or 600/4 go, I kept the 600/4. It's the best Pentax supertelephoto period! Unless you prefer the F*600/4 with double length hood. Calling the 250-600 the ultimate backyard birding lens is not a slur on the 600! And didn't mean to bristle you. But between the shorter minimum focus and the ability to zoom as needed, the 250-600 was pretty awesome for those close quarters/yard distance opportunities. Kind of "backyard safari" setup and 5 pounds lighter than my beloved 600/4. Plus the 250-600 had a preset zoom and focus point that could be preprogrammed onto two different bird perches, and then a single or double push of a button set the lens to the presets for you...just had to point it in time! Nothing else in the industry even similar. (of course those trick zoom functions are no longer supported by our new camera bodies...only power zoom without presets.) Forum member in Canada has the zoom and a buddy in San Diego has my old F*600...

And no Canadian Rockies, no fight-back from any side whenever I've indulged myself! That's why I've owned whatever Pentax gear I've desired...no moderator! Just the bank account remorse!