Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2018, 12:06 PM - 19 Likes   #27691
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Blunsdon,Wiltshire, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,090
I watched this female Kestrel for about 3/4 of an hour before it caught a Mouse/Vole on the left hand side of my car, it then luckily for me, took off with it and then landed on a post on my side of the car enabling me to get a few pics.

K-3ii/FA*600mmF4 ED[IF]/Eckla window mount.








Last edited by Ducatigaz; 03-19-2018 at 04:22 AM.
02-26-2018, 12:24 PM   #27692
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,831
QuoteOriginally posted by Ducatigaz Quote
I watched this female Kestrel for about 3/4 of an hour before it caught a Mouse/Vole on the left hand side of my car, it then luckily for me, took off with it and then landed on a post on my side of the car enabling me to get a few pics.

K-3ii/FA*600mmF4 ED[IF]/Eckla window mount.





Very nice

Has the bird been tagged ?


There is what appears to be a band with numbers on the leg
02-26-2018, 12:28 PM   #27693
Pentaxian
littledrawe's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Red Rock
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,510
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Can I assume then that most people think TCs add any value would be correlated to the small number of people who can actually understand the above explanation?
I'm not really sure what you're asking here? If you're saying my mind can't understand it the emoji doesn't make it any less insulting. How can you say the DA 1.4x TC causes a 3% loss in image quality? Where did that figure come from? Since the variable of the lens it is being attached to exists and all lenses do not perform equally any perceived loss of image quality is also going to vary along with the capability of the sensor the image is being projected onto. The TC cant really add anything that isn't there, It can magnify something to the point where the sensor can then better resolve the information presented to it by the lens or lens/TC.
But yes it does come down to results which again vary wildly. If a person has good equipment, percentages aside, and good technique with favorable conditions then they should produce quality images. I've produced some and it looks like you have as well.
02-26-2018, 01:48 PM - 9 Likes   #27694
Pentaxian
ChipB's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Austin, TX area
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,208
Some really great shots - as usual.

I thought I'd add my shot of (what I think is) a Western Screech-Owl. This was taken about 9 years ago with my K200D and DA 55-300 at 300mm. Location was south Texas in the Bentsen-Rio Grande Valley State Park. I probably walked by that dead tree 3-4 times and never noticed the owl until someone pointed him out. By the time I'd taken a couple of pics - from quite aways away - about 15 other folks were taking photos also. He slept through it all!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
02-26-2018, 03:13 PM - 9 Likes   #27695
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Blunsdon,Wiltshire, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,090
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
Very nice

Has the bird been tagged ?


There is what appears to be a band with numbers on the leg
Yes the bird has been netted and ringed at some point. I have photographed this bird before, back in 2016



02-26-2018, 03:15 PM   #27696
Moderator
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,144
QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
Some really great shots - as usual.

I thought I'd add my shot of (what I think is) a Western Screech-Owl. This was taken about 9 years ago with my K200D and DA 55-300 at 300mm. Location was south Texas in the Bentsen-Rio Grande Valley State Park. I probably walked by that dead tree 3-4 times and never noticed the owl until someone pointed him out. By the time I'd taken a couple of pics - from quite aways away - about 15 other folks were taking photos also. He slept through it all!


Nice image Chip.


Great opportunity to capture wildlife.
02-26-2018, 08:08 PM - 6 Likes   #27697
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Eureka, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,051
QuoteOriginally posted by str8talk83 Quote
Excellent sharpness on this one. How do you like the 300 and TC combo?
The TC goes very well with the DA* 300 (it goes well also with the Tamron 70-200 and the DFA 100 Macro). My only issue is the TC can make the DA* 300 significantly more challenging to AF, particularly in not so good light (I've had issues with both the K-5iis and the KP).

QuoteOriginally posted by swip Quote
Exceptional! How did you train it to pose like that?
You need to establish who's the alpha male in the relationship. If that doesn't work, try to get a sense of the critters behavior and develop the skills necessary to anticipate special moments where you can take good pics of the rascal. And don't try to attract the animals attention by making noise. Mammals that are somewhat habituated to human presence know what you're up to and resent it. Let whatever happens unfold naturally.

Roosevelt Elk with DA* 300:

02-27-2018, 08:02 AM   #27698
Pentaxian
traderdrew's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Florida
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 619
QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
Some really great shots - as usual.

I thought I'd add my shot of (what I think is) a Western Screech-Owl. This was taken about 9 years ago with my K200D and DA 55-300 at 300mm. Location was south Texas in the Bentsen-Rio Grande Valley State Park. I probably walked by that dead tree 3-4 times and never noticed the owl until someone pointed him out. By the time I'd taken a couple of pics - from quite aways away - about 15 other folks were taking photos also. He slept through it all!
Nice find. I would go back with a tripod and a remote to photograph it in low light.

02-27-2018, 08:45 AM   #27699
Pentaxian
ChipB's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Austin, TX area
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,208
QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
Nice find. I would go back with a tripod and a remote to photograph it in low light.
Yeah, I hear you! Unfortunately, I was with some other folks and *they* had places to go, people to see. And, to top it off, we were in their car. Oh well - at least I got to see him!!
02-27-2018, 10:16 AM - 9 Likes   #27700
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 408
the mighty burrowing owl
02-27-2018, 10:44 AM - 1 Like   #27701
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,792
QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote
the mighty burrowing owl
He/she looks marvelously fierce: a great capture. For those who aren't familiar with the burrowing owl, it is 19-28 cm (8-11 in) tall, slightly larger than an American robin (Thanks Wikipedia). That might be a big mouthful for a great horned ...
02-27-2018, 11:00 AM   #27702
Pentaxian
str8talk83's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Naples, FL
Photos: Albums
Posts: 618
QuoteOriginally posted by Ducatigaz Quote
Yes the bird has been netted and ringed at some point. I have photographed this bird before, back in 2016



How do you like that Eckla mount? It must work well to hold a beast of a lens like that!
02-27-2018, 12:33 PM   #27703
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Blunsdon,Wiltshire, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,090
QuoteOriginally posted by str8talk83 Quote
How do you like that Eckla mount? It must work well to hold a beast of a lens like that!
I also have the first version of the Kirk window mount.

I think the Kirk gives a more steady platform.

The reason why I had to get an Eckla mount is because the platform can be lowered [ the FA*600mm would not go through the drivers window when fitted to the Kirk in a Vauxhall Insignia]

We have just changed our daily driver for a Toyota Auris hybrid [great for creeping up on wildlife in electric mode] and the roof is slightly higher on this car and the FA*600mm will go through the window when fitted to the Kirk, but only just.

Last edited by Ducatigaz; 02-27-2018 at 01:54 PM.
02-27-2018, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #27704
Pentaxian
str8talk83's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Naples, FL
Photos: Albums
Posts: 618
QuoteOriginally posted by Ducatigaz Quote
I also have the first version of the Kirk window mount.

I think the Kirk gives a more steady platform.

The reason why I had to get an Eckla mount is because the platform can be lowered [ the FA*600mm would not go through the drivers window when fitted to the Kirk in a Vauxhall Insignia]

We have just changed our daily driver for a Toyota Auris hybrid [great for creeping up on wildlife in electric mode] and the roof is slightly higher on this car and the FA*600mm will go through the window when fitted to the Kirk but only just.
Thanks for sharing. I have a spot that is perfect for "from the car" shots. My gear is light enough to shoot handheld, but I dream of owning one of the super-telephoto lenses someday.
02-27-2018, 01:30 PM   #27705
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,831
jumped out to the Topeka Zoo and Conservation Center's Rain Forest to quickly try out my newly acquired SMC Pentax DA * 300mm F4

I like it
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-27-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
300mm, 300mm plus lens, 560mm, beach, birds, canada, chickadee, club, coast, couple, dogs, feb, flickr, friend, gulf, half, lens club, lenses, love, moon, pentax lens, pm, post, scene, sea, series, shore, shot, sigma, sunset, wife
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Soviet lenses club Voe Lens Clubs 3739 2 Hours Ago 05:28 PM
The Sigma Lens Club- All lenses Blue Lens Clubs 2256 4 Days Ago 04:20 PM
Wanted - Acquired: Long lens >300mm in K-mount pop4 Sold Items 1 10-03-2010 03:03 AM
Pentax DA 55-300mm vs Tamron 70-300mm at long end (brickwall) tcdk Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 17 11-15-2009 12:52 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:46 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top