Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2012, 10:23 PM   #2821
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Skog Quote
I guess that would be very nice, however there is also the weight to consider. I agree on your view on the sigma, it seems to be a very nice combination of weight and quality, and the aperture is also pretty decent. I would prefer f4 though, for use with a TC at least. The sigma being such a good option is why I argue that the Pentax would have to beat it somehow, or else whats the point?
When I was using the K-7, I didn't want to shoot with any lens slower than F/4. This was taken with my K-5, Sigma 500 F/4.5 and the kenko 1.5x teleconverter. Keep in mind, I still cropped this image:

02-07-2012, 11:19 PM   #2822
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Don't look like a mirror to me.

Pentax better release a final white edition k-5 for me to match with this lens.
That is an awesome, refreshing picture especially after all the fires that have been fueled on this forum for the last year or so that I have been participating and watching @Clinton buy up all the superteles that have come on the market I am going to print a lifesize picture and put it in my house so my wife can get used to it and we can get the "so what can that one do that your other ones can't do?" debate out of the way early!

With the 400mm f4 + 1.4x converter I have I end up with the same specs as the planned lens and it is a very practical length but still requires you to use some of your stalking/hiding skills to get close enough for frame filling shots of smaller subjects and easily get bigger animals in the frame!
02-07-2012, 11:25 PM   #2823
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Skog Quote
The sigma being such a good option is why I argue that the Pentax would have to beat it somehow, or else whats the point?
To put a Pentax lens on my Pentax camera and have our brand have some legs to stand against the competitors.
02-08-2012, 03:10 AM   #2824
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
A mirror lens? Oh crap, that doesn't sound good to me.
no, that pic of the lens posted by jin desu the lens is just way too big for it to be a mirror lens, and the switches on the side appear to be focus limiters - which is great news: the Pentax DA*300mm f/4 doesn't have focus limiters which is what steered me clear of that lens - though the Sigma 100-300mm f/4 doesn't have a focus limiter, as a compensation for this the Sigma 100-300mm f/4 APO EX DG just focuses very quickly.

02-08-2012, 04:43 AM   #2825
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just needs a little silver paint and some corporate pride.
02-08-2012, 05:54 AM   #2826
Inactive Account

Ah well.. Now I can only hope that it will destroy the sigma in the price department. Already inferior aperture to the sigma, and I have to doubt it can do much better optically than the sigma. The argument of putting a pentax lens on a pentax body just to "have some legs to stand on against the competition" does not make sense to me if our "legs" are worse than the competition. Who would buy an inferior lens just because it had pentax written on it? I can only assume that this lens will be a lot more affordable than the alternatives.

I am also very curious about if this lens is meant to work with the new TC. A 1,4tc on this lens would give f 7,84, which I guess translates to f8 in camera. Todays TC wont operate properly at those apertures. My own 1,7AF would give +- f10, which is pretty unusable for me, and definitely wont AF correctly/reliable on the K-5.

Even though I am a bit disappointed in the aperture spec, it does not mean I think it will be a bad lens. I am looking forward to the release with great curiosity and anticipation regarding price/IQ/weight etc.

The info did not say anything about the focus motor. Do you think it will be screw drive, sdm or dc?
02-08-2012, 06:14 AM   #2827
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
t also looks sharp <G>
Yep, tack sharp!

So while we're drooling over the photo, I've got a question: "Why white?" I mean, I know it's good camo for you Canadians when you go out shooting snowflakes (cabin fever is a cruel mistress) but for the rest of us (and the two-week Canadian summer) a big white lens would seem to announce your presence to all the wildlife in a three mile radius.

02-08-2012, 06:22 AM   #2828
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
So while we're drooling over the photo, I've got a question: "Why white?" I mean, I know it's good camo for you Canadians when you go out shooting snowflakes (cabin fever is a cruel mistress) but for the rest of us (and the two-week Canadian summer) a big white lens would seem to announce your presence to all the wildlife in a three mile radius.
Hey, easy on the Canuck jokes.

Canon says white reduces thermal effects of the sun. This is a lonnnngggg lens, maybe that's it.
Speaking of scaring critters, I really hope it's not screw drive.
02-08-2012, 06:32 AM   #2829
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So while we're drooling over the photo, I've got a question: "Why white?"
Canon uses similar colouration to make the body of the lens reflective to heat - to prevent the lens barrel from heating up too much and expanding beyond the tolerances the lens is built to.The A*645 600mm f/5.6 is also a very light colour as well.
02-08-2012, 07:13 AM   #2830
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Second the motion on lens barrel being a lighter color.

Having used both the Sigma 500/4.5 and the light silver FA * lenses: the Pentax lens was much better to handle under the baking hot sun. The black camera body still had to be covered though. It became too hot to comfortably handle - even minor movements on a tripod - and sometimes the LCD panel on top acted up. That's in the 115F range though.
02-08-2012, 08:04 AM   #2831
Veteran Member

+1 for the white! I've never had issue with them scaring off wildlife and I could always get some camo for it if I was concerned.

I love pulling out a big white lens in a school of black conikon wildlife photogs. I enjoy the looks of confusion that me and my white Pentax lens shouldn't exist. A local "telephoto photo club" wandered up to where I was last Saturday and I someone commented to me that my lens was taking up too much room and it could be in the way of other photographers. More colourful statements came to mind but I ended up saying "I know...isn't it great!" which seemed to shut him up.

Last edited by SteveM; 02-08-2012 at 08:16 AM.
02-08-2012, 08:08 AM   #2832
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
A local "telephoto photo club" wandered up to where I was last Saturday and I someone commented to me that my lens was taking up too much room and it could be in the way of other photographers.
LOL! Definitely lens envy.
02-08-2012, 08:42 AM   #2833
m8o
Veteran Member

"Why white?" I mean...
Technically, isn't it off-white / gray-ish / silver-ish? Could just bee the lighting, but I think the item was pretty well / professionally lit in that photo and it looks that way to me.
02-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #2834
Veteran Member

What about the silver trunks, will that standard continue?
02-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #2835
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by G_Money Quote

Just needs a little silver paint and some corporate pride.
+1 on the logo. Puts right in there with those gorgeous FA* lenses.