Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2019, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #30601
dlh
F.O.G. (fat old geezer)
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Please forgive my correction, but that isn’t a calf.

It is a cow, an adult female. See the udder?

A calf is what cows give birth to.
All good advice, thanks. I suppose it's obvious by now that my total experience with seriously tele-photo lenses is limited to about six hours of fiddling. One thing's clear, though, this is going to have to be a "sniper" camera/lens - an 11 lb. lens on top of a K-1 w/battery grip on top of a tripod beefy enough to hold all that up in a strong wind - no way I'm going on extended hikes looking for the birds along the trail - the birds are going to have to come to me. Once I get set up, I ain't movin'.

The one in the picture isn't the calf I had in mind, however - I think that was his mom - I took a lot of cattle pictures that day.
Clearly, it's going to take more practice. (No one noticed that I used the plural form, "calves" rather than the possessive, "calf's", though, or they were too polite to bring it up.) As to the depth of field thing, it seems to me that it's not just the aperture that's controlling it, it's the combination of aperture and focal length. I had pictures where, at f/5.6, there was a space of about two feet or so that was in focus, and it wasn't where I'd told the autofocus button to look at.

Here's another example of the distances involved: the silo in the picture OF the silo is the same one located just to the left of the center of the wider-angle picture (24-70 set to 26mm). And the ridge-top picture posted earlier shows the crest of the right-most ridge, though a bit off to the right. The two lenses distort the distance in opposite ways, of course, but you get the drift, I reckon.

All criticism and advice is welcome, whether I accept it or not will be my own problem. And do be blunt; I am bad at interpreting polite speech. Thanks, again.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 

Last edited by dlh; 02-18-2019 at 03:21 PM.
02-18-2019, 03:27 PM - 2 Likes   #30602
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
it seems to me that it's not just the aperture that's controlling it, it's the combination of aperture and focal length.
And distance, have play around with this www.photopills.com/calculators/dof. Try 2640', 100' and 72 inches.

I had pictures where, at f/5.6, there was a space of about two feet or so that was in focus, and it wasn't where I'd told the autofocus button to look at
May be atmospheric as Racer said, may be front/back focus. You need to do some testing.
02-18-2019, 04:46 PM - 4 Likes   #30603
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A few Hare pictures from the car with my K-3ii/FA*600mmF4ED[IF]/Eckla window mount.

02-18-2019, 07:59 PM - 1 Like   #30604
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ducatigaz Quote
A few Hare pictures from the car with my K-3ii/FA*600mmF4ED[IF]/Eckla window mount.

It lasted long enough for you to grab 5 shots of them procreating Gary. You're pretty good, as I have observed that rabbits get it done very quickly.

cheesy

02-18-2019, 08:17 PM - 2 Likes   #30605
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

All good advice, thanks. I suppose it's obvious by now that my total experience with seriously tele-photo lenses is limited to about six hours of fiddling. One thing's clear, though, this is going to have to be a "sniper" camera/lens - an 11 lb. lens on top of a K-1 w/battery grip on top of a tripod beefy enough to hold all that up in a strong wind - no way I'm going on extended hikes looking for the birds along the trail - the birds are going to have to come to me. Once I get set up, I ain't movin'.

The one in the picture isn't the calf I had in mind, however - I think that was his mom - I took a lot of cattle pictures that day.
Clearly, it's going to take more practice. (No one noticed that I used the plural form, "calves" rather than the possessive, "calf's", though, or they were too polite to bring it up.) As to the depth of field thing, it seems to me that it's not just the aperture that's controlling it, it's the combination of aperture and focal length. I had pictures where, at f/5.6, there was a space of about two feet or so that was in focus, and it wasn't where I'd told the autofocus button to look at.

Here's another example of the distances involved: the silo in the picture OF the silo is the same one located just to the left of the center of the wider-angle picture (24-70 set to 26mm). And the ridge-top picture posted earlier shows the crest of the right-most ridge, though a bit off to the right. The two lenses distort the distance in opposite ways, of course, but you get the drift, I reckon.

All criticism and advice is welcome, whether I accept it or not will be my own problem. And do be blunt; I am bad at interpreting polite speech. Thanks, again.
Hey Dan.

Looking at the exif, a couple of things jump out.

Try using a higher ISO, the camera can handle a bump up from 100 to 200, 400, even 600 with little loss in image quality, in cloudy daylight conditions like you are shooting under here. I held back myself at first, but found pretty good results doing so. I don't have a K-50, but a K5IIs, and now the K-1. At first with the K5IIs I was reticent to do so, as with my old K10D I never got decent results doing that.

Bumping the ISO will enable you to stop the lens down some and still make a decent exposure. At 5.6 you are shooting wide open, and most lenses perform better stopped down some.

And as I mentioned earlier, try to catch a sunny morning or late afternoon, when the light is good (and over your right or left shoulder. That should produce better results on those long distance shots, and may even help the autofocus trouble you are having.

Better light makes better pictures.

nice
02-19-2019, 04:17 AM   #30606
dlh
F.O.G. (fat old geezer)
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the comments and observations - having experimented a bit more, I'm now convinced that part of my difficulty is just that this lens is not as sharp and crisp as others I'm using. I took a lot of pictures of the full moon early this morning, and the best of them aren't as sharp as someone else got with a 300mm lens with a 1.4 TC. Granted, I was comparing my "out of the camera" jpeg to his postprocessed version (in which he indicated that he'd sharpened it up a bit). But I figure you can't make something out of nothing, and while I could do some sharpening with software, I doubt that it would be the equal. Here's his picture:
Show me your ......MOON ! - Page 8 - PentaxForums.com

Given the expense of the thing, I confess to being somewhat disappointed. I knew from the reviews posted here that it wasn't going to be as sharp as the D FA 150-450, but I figured it would be better that it seems to be. Some of that's the dumb user, no doubt, but more than twice the bucks for more magnification, when I could have gotten better results with the zoom and a teleconverter. Here's the best I could do this morning:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by dlh; 02-19-2019 at 04:37 AM.
02-19-2019, 05:07 AM - 2 Likes   #30607
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the comments and observations - having experimented a bit more, I'm now convinced that part of my difficulty is just that this lens is not as sharp and crisp as others I'm using. I took a lot of pictures of the full moon early this morning, and the best of them aren't as sharp as someone else got with a 300mm lens with a 1.4 TC. Granted, I was comparing my "out of the camera" jpeg to his postprocessed version (in which he indicated that he'd sharpened it up a bit). But I figure you can't make something out of nothing, and while I could do some sharpening with software, I doubt that it would be the equal. Here's his picture:
Show me your ......MOON ! - Page 8 - PentaxForums.com

Given the expense of the thing, I confess to being somewhat disappointed. I knew from the reviews posted here that it wasn't going to be as sharp as the D FA 150-450, but I figured it would be better that it seems to be. Some of that's the dumb user, no doubt, but more than twice the bucks for more magnification, when I could have gotten better results with the zoom and a teleconverter. Here's the best I could do this morning:
Hello Dan! I'm here to ensure you that the DA 560 is a very sharp lens even wide open @5.6.

I'm using it on my K-1 and even from the first shots of the moon handheld and wide open I was impressed when reviewing the images! When I opened them up in the PC I was even more impressed!

Your image of the moon is at f45 and that ruins it (as diffraction kicks in and is strongly evident - check the in detail review and especially this part with the samples: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-da-560mm-f56-ed-aw/sharpness.html). The 1/90 SS also adds to the image deterioration as the moon slowly moves and I never try at speeds of less than 1/125. I understand that you took the pictures with a tripod, right? I would also recommend to try live view mirror up with timer to reduce any movement from you pressing the shutter button.

The lens is sharp even with the HD DA 1.4X TC and if you stop it down by 1 stop it becomes a razor!

Here is one of my attempts with a sturdy tripod and remote control on the K-1. The picture has a bit of sharpenning (the "higher definition" comes from downsizing) and no CA correction (it is visible around the edges). Too bad I can't show you a larger version.

PS: You said that you removed the rear filter completely from the lens? I'm not sure that the filter holder should be empty... Maybe this element also contributes to the IQ of the lens... Try and see.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by redpit; 02-19-2019 at 05:14 AM. Reason: additions
02-19-2019, 05:19 AM   #30608
dlh
F.O.G. (fat old geezer)
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
Hello Dan! I'm here to ensure you that the DA 560 is a very sharp lens even wide open @5.6.

I'm using it on my K-1 and even from the first shots of the moon handheld and wide open I was impressed when reviewing the images! When I opened them up in the PC I was even more impressed!

Your image of the moon is at f45 and that ruins it. The 1/90 SS also adds to the image deterioration as the moon slowly moves and I never try at speeds of less than 1/125. I understand that you took the pictures with a tripod, right? I would also recommend to try live view mirror up with timer to reduce any movement from you pressing the shutter button.

The lens is sharp even with the HD DA 1.4X TC and if you stop it down by 1 stop it becomes a razor!

Here is one of my attempts with a sturdy tripod and remote control on the K-1. The picture has a bit of sharpenning (the "higher definition" comes from downsizing) and no CA correction (it is visible around the edges). Too bad I can't show you a larger version.

PS: You said that you removed the rear filter completely from the lens? I'm not sure that the filter holder should be empty... Maybe this element also contributes to the IQ of the lens... Try and see.

Thanks, that makes me feel better - I tended to go from one extreme to the other with the aperture. I was using a 2 second delay to elevate the mirror and a pretty beefy tripod/head. I've got a wired shutter release somewhere around here, but it's in a safe place (and safe even from me at the moment), otherwise I'd have used that as well.
Good question about the filter - I'll have to investigate that.
Is the 784mm focal length what you get from the 1.4 TC?

02-19-2019, 05:26 AM   #30609
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How are you focusing, manual or auto. Either way, are the critical aspects calibrated properly?
02-19-2019, 05:29 AM - 1 Like   #30610
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, that makes me feel better
You should feel happy with the DA 560! Give yourself some time to learn handle the beast

Is the 784mm focal length what you get from the 1.4 TC?
Exactly!
02-19-2019, 06:45 AM - 9 Likes   #30611
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
Str8talk83 I suspect you have been hanging out in Cape Coral as we did last year, but I didn't get Burrowing Owl shots as good as those.
I was actually in Marco Island, but I know there are lot of them in the cape as well.

---------- Post added 02-19-2019 at 07:47 AM ----------

02-19-2019, 07:30 AM - 7 Likes   #30612
Pentaxian

Dan. IMO, the 560 should be sharper than even 150-450. Please check for any front/back focus issues.
Here is one from my weekend trip. K-5IIS with 560
White bellied sea eagle

02-19-2019, 08:59 AM - 2 Likes   #30613
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dan, try f/11 @ 1/500. Use Tav and let the ISO float. Use tripod and delayed release. Use LiveView to focus. Take a picture of a house 300 ft away from you. I do not recall ever using an aperture smaller than f/11 with my 400. The most common is at f/8.

The Osprey is M400 alone on my K10D at about 200 ft. The two grebes are M400+AFA1.7x at about 300 ft. These were taken using a Manfrotto 055B tripod with Manfrotto 0168 ball head (I do get my exercise when birding), cabled release, no delay on the release.

You should be able to get much better quality with the 560 and better resolution sensor.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
02-19-2019, 09:55 AM   #30614
dlh
F.O.G. (fat old geezer)
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
How are you focusing, manual or auto. Either way, are the critical aspects calibrated properly?
tried both (phase AF only - don't much care for "live view"); and frankly, I have no idea - relying on Ricoh's assertion that the firmware upgrade takes care of that.

Btw, as to the question of whether the filter has to be installed - no information I could find on that anywhere, and the instructions are ambiguous. Under "features", it says, "The filter attachment which can be mounted on and removed from the lens is equipped. [sic] You can attach the supplied C-PL filter to adjust the polarizing effect with the operation ring." That seems to suggest that you can remove the filter optionally.

On the other hand, the instructions also say (under "Caution"): "To maintain the optical performance, be sure to attach a supplied filter when using the lens. Only the supplied filter can be used for the lens." That seems to imply that the presence of either supplied filter is required.

I sent Ricoh a request for "support" to clear up that ambiguity, as well as a question about the performance of the aperture. The instructions say you get a round aperture from f/5.6 through f/11, but the numbers go up to f/45 (must be a pinhole) - does that mean that the aperture is not round at smaller settings?

I'll update this thread if they come back with answers. In the meanwhile, I stuck the UV filter back in, and I'll experiment with it a bit more - it's a bright sunny day here right now, so I'll go out and see if the filters make any difference. The front of the lens is threaded, so I got a UV filter to go there, but may be that's a shouldn't-happen, too.
02-19-2019, 10:04 AM - 6 Likes   #30615
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

K-1 and DA*200 with F 1.7x AF Adapter. (340mm)