Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2019, 05:25 PM   #30721
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
@luftfluss, @zzeitg, @mstahulak, & @marcusBMG:

No question, the faster shutter speed makes an enormous difference.

Haven't experimented with the APS-C camera yet.
An old rule of thumb suggests the shutter speed should be faster than the reciprocal of the focal length. In your case, that would be about 1/560 ~ call it 1/800 ~ to "freeze" any movement. I tend to try for 1/800 with my 400 and I haven't used it hand held for decades. I must admit to using slower shutter speeds on occasion due to lighting conditions, but I notice the difference. As Luftfluss notes, it makes a huge difference when the shutter speed is increased. ISO 400 is about the minimum I use with the longer lenses, and I am not particularly fussy about anything under 1/1000 with the K-3. With APS-C, as I am using, it is better to go up another level because of the additional magnification of the movement on the sensor/film.

03-10-2019, 09:55 PM - 12 Likes   #30722
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A spiky neighbour, note the serious claws on this guy for ripping into ant and termite nests.

Last edited by Mike L; 03-11-2019 at 03:42 PM.
03-11-2019, 03:07 AM   #30723
dlh
F.O.G. (fat old geezer)
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
An old rule of thumb suggests the shutter speed should be faster than the reciprocal of the focal length. In your case, that would be about 1/560 ~ call it 1/800 ~ to "freeze" any movement. I tend to try for 1/800 with my 400 and I haven't used it hand held for decades. I must admit to using slower shutter speeds on occasion due to lighting conditions, but I notice the difference. As Luftfluss notes, it makes a huge difference when the shutter speed is increased. ISO 400 is about the minimum I use with the longer lenses, and I am not particularly fussy about anything under 1/1000 with the K-3. With APS-C, as I am using, it is better to go up another level because of the additional magnification of the movement on the sensor/film.
Good point, thanks!

I spent years (like, 20 some odd) with no lens other than a Canon 50mm f/1.4 (AE-1), and that was a step up from an Olympus fixed-lens point and shoot. So my habits are somewhat conditioned by that limitation. I became acquainted with Pentax when in college, my "work-study program" job was "photo-lab technician" serving the art school students' photography curricula. Later, as a software engineer sharing "inside jokes", my friends and I made up improbable error messages. My experience with this super-telephoto lens is beginning to remind me of one such: "IEX09554 - Probable User Error: Meditate and Resubmit".

Last edited by dlh; 03-11-2019 at 04:18 AM.
03-11-2019, 09:21 AM - 1 Like   #30724
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good point, thanks!

I spent years (like, 20 some odd) with no lens other than a Canon 50mm f/1.4 (AE-1), and that was a step up from an Olympus fixed-lens point and shoot. So my habits are somewhat conditioned by that limitation. I became acquainted with Pentax when in college, my "work-study program" job was "photo-lab technician" serving the art school students' photography curricula. Later, as a software engineer sharing "inside jokes", my friends and I made up improbable error messages. My experience with this super-telephoto lens is beginning to remind me of one such: "IEX09554 - Probable User Error: Meditate and Resubmit".
I know the feeling. My career ended up with DBMS and users who don't even notice minor errors. "IEXomygod - You are submitting a price list for 05/13/5013?" A client just spent quite a few hours of my time and their money to put traps in for this very error. It was the most egregious of 40+ miskeyed dates.

SET RED_FACE BRIGHT
I won't mention my own errors.
SET RED_FACE OFF

03-11-2019, 11:59 AM   #30725
dlh
F.O.G. (fat old geezer)
Loyal Site Supporter

... "IEX09554 - Probable User Error: Meditate and Resubmit".
Probably not user error. I've experimented with this lens on both the K-1 and the K-50, with filters on and off, at all sorts of combinations of different shutter speeds, ISO values, and aperture settings with exactly the same results. This particular implementation of this lens cannot take sharp pictures. I called Ricoh, they're supposed to get back to me with an RMA.

Whattapain. It's taken a lot of time and effort to figure out that the thing just don't work right.
03-11-2019, 03:26 PM - 21 Likes   #30726
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

03-11-2019, 03:48 PM - 8 Likes   #30727
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sutherland Quote

That's a cracking set of photos!

---------- Post added 12th Mar 2019 at 09:50 AM ----------

Great cormorants looking for a hand out from fishermen cleaning fish are an easy target

03-11-2019, 06:06 PM   #30728
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Probably not user error. I've experimented with this lens on both the K-1 and the K-50, with filters on and off, at all sorts of combinations of different shutter speeds, ISO values, and aperture settings with exactly the same results. This particular implementation of this lens cannot take sharp pictures. I called Ricoh, they're supposed to get back to me with an RMA.

Whattapain. It's taken a lot of time and effort to figure out that the thing just don't work right.
It seemed like your last set were better. Without being able to pixel peep, the dog seems fine, there were sharp things in the ground cover image, etc. The thing is, I think you have to shoot at something with detail in it to actually see detail.

03-11-2019, 06:16 PM   #30729
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
If the EXIF is correct...
- ISO800
- f/10
- 1/500s

I'd suggest to set f5.6 or f/6.3 and higher ISO, which would lead to faster shutter speed.
Agreed.

f/5.6 to f/6.3 is plenty.

With a stationary subject like a perched Cormorant, I would still like to strive for a shutter speed that matches the effective focal length of the camera. If the exif is correct, 1/1000s would have been easy to achieve without any introduction of noise.

Also important to note that some AF systems struggle after f/8.

---------- Post added 03-11-19 at 06:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike L Quote
That's a cracking set of photos!

---------- Post added 12th Mar 2019 at 09:50 AM ----------

Great cormorants looking for a hand out from fishermen cleaning fish are an easy target

Thanks! Likewise on the Cormorants. They are very misunderstood in the Pacific Northwest. Unfairly blamed for the decrease in the salmon population when a large Army Corps of Engineer managed dam is the culprit.
03-11-2019, 11:56 PM - 7 Likes   #30730
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sutherland Quote

Quite a bit of me hopes that those are your best shots from the last two years.

Hidden in plain sight at eye level.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
03-12-2019, 05:09 AM   #30731
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote

What kind of birds are they? What size?
03-12-2019, 05:52 AM   #30732
dlh
F.O.G. (fat old geezer)
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mstahulak Quote
It seemed like your last set were better. Without being able to pixel peep, the dog seems fine, there were sharp things in the ground cover image, etc. The thing is, I think you have to shoot at something with detail in it to actually see detail.
Thanks for that observation. Well, someone suggested shooting at a tree for detail-capture, but I figured a tree is a curved surface, so I used the neighbor's fence. Lots of detail in that; also on the dog. Clearly in the earlier attempts, the wind was a big factor. So I corrected for that, took a lot of pictures indoors, both at things in the house as well as outside through an open door (eliminating wind as a factor). Using a ten-foot extension cord on my shutter release cable so that inadvertent tugging on that wouldn't be a problem. Using a method of shooting that caused the mirror to flip up three seconds prior to the shot. Standing dead still for ten seconds prior to pushing the shutter release button (so that shifting my weight wouldn't cause vibrations in the floor - I'm pretty good at that being-still thing, being a NRA certified pistol and rifle trainer). Tried it with a K-1 and a K-50 with the same results (translated from DNG by Affinity, unprocessed, uncropped). It don' get no better'n that, I reckon.

These are the best I was able to achieve, and the all still seem have a creamy texture, to me. As if there were a thin coating of mineral oil on a lens somewhere. Nowhere near the quality of the bird pictures.

I did take a picture of a small tree, upon which I had centered the autofocus; but you'll notice that there's brush at all distances from front to back within the field of focus, and none of it is sharp.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 

Last edited by dlh; 03-12-2019 at 05:59 AM.
03-12-2019, 06:08 AM   #30733
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is it possible to conduct a lens calibration test and share your results?

Typically, lens calibration is conducted by being a certain distance away from the calibration target: focal length * n (n is typically a value between 25-50). Since you have a 560mm, I would not expect for you to stand 90 feet away from a target. Instead, I would just choose a 'working' distance. I selected 40 feet when I calibrated my 500mm.

Some additional tips:
- lens on a tripod
- target must be well lit
- turn OFF image stabilization
- shoot at the widest aperture available (in your case, 5.6)
- shoot at a lower ISO (I would aim for 800 or lower)
- shoot with a shutter speed equal to or GREATER than the max focal length to mitigate shake and increase sharpness
- use single point focus

The printout target should be fine, but I would find an image that has a ruler positioned next to the center target. The ruler is used to show degrees of front or back focus.

---------- Post added 03-12-19 at 06:10 AM ----------

Those were some of my favorite shots from February and March. Birding is near approaching addiction status.
03-12-2019, 09:06 AM - 4 Likes   #30734
Pentaxian

Hiding so very well I can't tell if I am seeing the birds Two birds?

few more practice at the park

03-12-2019, 01:06 PM   #30735
dlh
F.O.G. (fat old geezer)
Loyal Site Supporter

..Hidden in plain sight at eye level.
That could be a test for color-blindness. people who ignore color as contrast data focus instead on the texture (complexity of the waveform) of the reflected light instead - and feathers don't look anything like bark from that perspective. So people who can see the birds right off are probably color-blind (as well as resolution-enhanced).

When I was in high school, they told the Army I was color blind. So the Army started twisting my arm to quit school and go to be a point-man on infantry patrols in VietNam; they figured I wouldn't be fooled by the color-camouflage (right on that point) and that I'd be able to spot the snipers in the trees long enough to shoot 'em down. Yeah, right. I figured my life-expectancy once in that job would be about fifteen minutes. That war was a big reason for my having been the first of my family to attend college (that and Lyndon Johnson's "great society" program - they were generous with student aid at that time).
« Mamiya Lens Club | - »