Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2019, 10:23 PM - 19 Likes   #30916
Junior Member




Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Cherkassy
Posts: 31
Pentax KP + DA300* + kenko 1.5x









04-09-2019, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #30917
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 553
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I hope you get a chance to post some pics with the 400 DO II + 2x TC.
I got the EF2.0x III converter today. No birding yet, but a test shot. Coming from the DA560 + 1.4TC, this was going to be an important one, because the Canon 400DOII + EF2.0x at 800mm f8 is going to take the place of DA560 + 1.4TC at 784mm f8. For wading and perched songbirds, it has been an important combination of focal length and aperture for me. A 2.0TC is not generally part of a serious birding kit, only for the special shots, but I took a gamble that it would turn out right with the Canon EF2.0x III, which is regarded (with Sony's 2.0TC) as the best 2.0TC around, and would be at least as good as the 1.4TC on the DA560.

Here is a test shot on the 7DII at 2000 iso. I am pleasantly surprised to see no CA, either lateral or longitudinal, whatsoever in testing with the 400DOII + EF2.0x III, which was a bit of a problem with the DA560 + 1.4TC (mostly longitudinal, so impossible to clean up), and feel that it passes the critical detail test. Also, auto focus is still fast, responsive and mostly spot-on.
On the Sony A7rII, sharpness is even better, but auto focus is clearly not native, with quite a bit of travelling through the focus range, needing to set the limiter on the lens, and aid with manual forcus. Once in the region, it snaps into spot-on focus immediately.
Finally, the very, very good IS in the 400DOII really comes to aid handholding 800mm, making it almost cheatingly easy compared to the DA560+1.4TC, and the 7DII seems to get better at iso 800 to iso 2000 compared to the K3II, whereas the K3II is clearly better at iso 100- iso 200, and a tie inbetween. What the 7DII does very well, is hold colors at higher iso settings, where the K3 washes out above iso 1600.




Chris

Last edited by Chris Mak; 06-18-2019 at 12:29 PM.
04-09-2019, 10:22 AM   #30918
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
luftfluss's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,494
That's an impressive result. I was wondering about AF performance with the 2xTC, since more often than not they are coupled with 300/2.8's for wildlife shooting, but it appears that your heavy investment in lighter equipment [] is paying off. And, of course, getting that good detail shooting wide open is
04-09-2019, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #30919
Pentaxian
Jome's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 461
Manual and handled: During lunchtime (5 minutes walk away from my workplace) and all of this - K-3 and Tokina AT-X SD 100-300 / F:4 (I need to improve but this lens delivers 'painty' like results).


Last edited by Jome; 06-17-2019 at 02:12 PM.
04-09-2019, 12:37 PM - 12 Likes   #30920
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Mateo, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 162
Marine Mammals

Went on a whale watching tour off the SF Peninsula with my K3 and 55-300PLM:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-09-2019, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #30921
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,854
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
The first shot is top quality sports shooting! Well done!
Thanks, I get a lot of practice as I watch two games a week
04-09-2019, 02:26 PM - 15 Likes   #30922
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
jacamar's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,980
A little wave of Golden-crowned Kinglets in the park today. I spent a fair bit of time with them but even then I was fortunate to get just a few shots - they are so tiny and hyperactive just locking focus is a major feat!





K-3, DA*300mm, DA 1.4xTC

Last edited by jacamar; 04-10-2019 at 05:34 AM.
04-09-2019, 08:18 PM   #30923
Pentaxian
traderdrew's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Florida
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 619
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
I got the EF2.0x III converter today. No birding yet, but a test shot. Coming from the DA560 + 1.4TC, this was going to be an important one, because the Canon 400DOII + EF2.0x at 800mm f8 is going to take the place of DA560 + 1.4TC at 784mm f8. For wading and perched songbirds, it has been an important combination of focal length and aperture for me. A 2.0TC is not generally part of a serious birding kit, only for the special shots, but I took a gamble that it would turn out right with the Canon EF2.0x III, which is regarded (with Sony's 2.0TC) as the best 2.0TC around, and would be at least as good as the 1.4TC on the DA560.

Here is a test shot on the 7DII at 2000 iso. I am pleasantly surprised to see no CA, either lateral or longitudinal, whatsoever in testing with the 400DOII + EF2.0x III, which was a bit of a problem with the DA560 + 1.4TC (mostly longitudinal, so impossible to clean up), and feel that it passes the critical detail test. Also, auto focus is still fast, responsive and mostly spot-on.
On the Sony A7rII, sharpness is even better, but auto focus is clearly not native, with quite a bit of travelling through the focus range, needing to set the limiter on the lens, and aid with manual forcus. Once in the region, it snaps into spot-on focus immediately.
Finally, the very, very good IS in the 400DOII really comes to aid handholding 800mm, making it almost cheatingly easy compared to the DA560+1.4TC, and the 7DII seems to get better at iso 800 to iso 2000 compared to the K3II, whereas the K3II is clearly better at iso 100- iso 200, and a tie inbetween. What the 7DII does very well, is hold colors at higher iso settings, where the K3 washes out above iso 1600.

Chris
Sounds like your analysis is believable. Canon has had enough time to work on their 7D and the 100-400. I didn't like the first versions of either of them. Sony has come along. If you ask me, I've spoken to a few people who have switched from Canon to Nikon or Sony. None of them regretted that decision. As for ISO 2000, that isn't a good enough reason for me to switch as I rarely use those high numbers. I don't need it. Any Canonite who is photographing birds who says "they have no noise at ISO 3200" is just a fanatic because we are always cropping when shooting birds.

04-10-2019, 04:18 AM - 10 Likes   #30924
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2015
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 658
Cattle Egret
K-1, DFA 150-450, handheld. See exif for shot details.

Cheers,
Terry
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
04-10-2019, 04:32 AM   #30925
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 553
QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
Sounds like your analysis is believable. Canon has had enough time to work on their 7D and the 100-400. I didn't like the first versions of either of them. Sony has come along. If you ask me, I've spoken to a few people who have switched from Canon to Nikon or Sony. None of them regretted that decision. As for ISO 2000, that isn't a good enough reason for me to switch as I rarely use those high numbers. I don't need it. Any Canonite who is photographing birds who says "they have no noise at ISO 3200" is just a fanatic because we are always cropping when shooting birds.
To be totally honest, I only got the 7DII because in the Canon 400DOII + camera bundle, I got a 600,- discount. I never really fancied Canon camera bodies simply because the Sony sensors are so much better. But I have to say that the 7DII has positively impressed me as a body, apart from the poor performance DR wise at iso 100-200.
The reason that the very good performance at iso 1600-2000 has a benefit for me, is purely the 400DOII+EF2.0x combo, which is F8 and drives up the iso outside of bright daylight. I had shots with the DA560+1.4TC with shutter speeds of 1/320s because I did not want to go above iso 1000, but 784mm handheld at 1/320s never gave really good results.
B.t.w. I am seriously venturing into using the 400DOII with both exenders adapted to my Sony A7rII, simply because IQ is at another level and the AF accuracy is astounding, so I have to admit that I am looking ahead at the EOS-R developments and just hope they will come along. The reason for many Canon users to switch to Sony will have been two-fold: a better sensor and the benefits of mirrorless. I hope the EOS-R models of the future will have sensors as good as the Sony sensors, of course... My last "plan" before deciding to switch to Canon, was getting a Pentax K1mkII for the DA560. Images that I have seen from that combo are first class.

Chris
04-10-2019, 04:43 AM   #30926
Pentaxian
Dan Rentea's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bucharest
Posts: 1,069
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
To be totally honest, I only got the 7DII because in the Canon 400DOII + camera bundle, I got a 600,- discount. I never really fancied Canon camera bodies simply because the Sony sensors are so much better. But I have to say that the 7DII has positively impressed me as a body, apart from the poor performance DR wise at iso 100-200.
The reason that the very good performance at iso 1600-2000 has a benefit for me, is purely the 400DOII+EF2.0x combo, which is F8 and drives up the iso outside of bright daylight. I had shots with the DA560+1.4TC with shutter speeds of 1/320s because I did not want to go above iso 1000, but 784mm handheld at 1/320s never gave really good results.
B.t.w. I am seriously venturing into using the 400DOII with both exenders adapted to my Sony A7rII, simply because IQ is at another level and the AF accuracy is astounding, so I have to admit that I am looking ahead at the EOS-R developments and just hope they will come along. The reason for many Canon users to switch to Sony will have been two-fold: a better sensor and the benefits of mirrorless. I hope the EOS-R models of the future will have sensors as good as the Sony sensors, of course... My last "plan" before deciding to switch to Canon, was getting a Pentax K1mkII for the DA560. Images that I have seen from that combo are first class.

Chris
If I were you and given the fact that you have that beautiful 400mm lens, I would have sold A7R II and 7D Mark II (it's a fast camera but in terms of IQ the 80D is much better than 7D Mark II) and I would have bought a 5D Mark IV. It has similar dynamic range as Sony A7R II at base ISO and better dynamic range than Sony above ISO 800 and 5D Mark IV is also optimized for shooting at f8 with your lens and 2x TC.

Not to mention the difference in terms of ergonomy between Canon and Sony with that big lens.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 04-10-2019 at 04:51 AM.
04-10-2019, 07:08 AM   #30927
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
swip's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,234
QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
A little wave of Golden-crowned Kinglets in the park today. I spent a fair bit of time with them but even then I was fortunate to get just a few shots - they are so tiny and hyperactive just locking focus is a major feat!





K-3, DA*300mm, DA 1.4xTC
What you got looked excellent.

---------- Post added 04-10-19 at 10:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
Cattle Egret
K-1, DFA 150-450, handheld. See exif for shot details.

Cheers,
Terry
Nicely done.
04-10-2019, 07:17 AM   #30928
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
jacamar's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,980
QuoteOriginally posted by swip Quote
What you got looked excellent.
Thanks Swip - one of the more difficult birds to photograph, for sure!
04-10-2019, 07:29 AM   #30929
Pentaxian
traderdrew's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Florida
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 619
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
B.t.w. I am seriously venturing into using the 400DOII with both exenders adapted to my Sony A7rII, simply because IQ is at another level and the AF accuracy is astounding, so I have to admit that I am looking ahead at the EOS-R developments and just hope they will come along. The reason for many Canon users to switch to Sony will have been two-fold: a better sensor and the benefits of mirrorless. I hope the EOS-R models of the future will have sensors as good as the Sony sensors, of course... My last "plan" before deciding to switch to Canon, was getting a Pentax K1mkII for the DA560. Images that I have seen from that combo are first class.

Chris
One reason one switched to Sony is because of their 400mm F/2.8 flourite lens. It's a beauty but I would cost me.
04-10-2019, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #30930
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 553
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
If I were you and given the fact that you have that beautiful 400mm lens, I would have sold A7R II and 7D Mark II (it's a fast camera but in terms of IQ the 80D is much better than 7D Mark II) and I would have bought a 5D Mark IV. It has similar dynamic range as Sony A7R II at base ISO and better dynamic range than Sony above ISO 800 and 5D Mark IV is also optimized for shooting at f8 with your lens and 2x TC.

Not to mention the difference in terms of ergonomy between Canon and Sony with that big lens.
I know, I never seem to take the logical path
No, seriously, I considered that of course. But I already own and use the A7rII for all shooting other than birding/wildlife, and I was not ready to spend 3000,- on the 5DIV, simply because I am positive that within a few years, Canon will have an EOS-R ready that is a match for the Sony bodies. Also, the 5DIV is "only" 30.4 MP, and the A7rII is 42mp BSI. The lenses using refractive or diffractive optics b.t.w. are really, really small. The 400DOII is 23cm long.

Chris
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
300mm, 300mm plus lens, 560mm, beach, birds, canada, chickadee, club, coast, couple, dogs, feb, flickr, friend, gulf, half, lens club, lenses, love, moon, pentax lens, pm, post, scene, sea, series, shore, shot, sigma, sunset, wife
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Sigma Lens Club- All lenses Blue Lens Clubs 2316 1 Day Ago 07:29 PM
Soviet lenses club Voe Lens Clubs 3760 5 Days Ago 03:53 PM
Wanted - Acquired: Long lens >300mm in K-mount pop4 Sold Items 1 10-03-2010 03:03 AM
Pentax DA 55-300mm vs Tamron 70-300mm at long end (brickwall) tcdk Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 17 11-15-2009 12:52 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:42 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top