Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2019, 05:51 AM - 14 Likes   #31126
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,481
K3 and 150-450.

The alligator was getting some sleep just before the rain hit.



Found this Purple Gallinule while making my way back to the car during the rain.





05-09-2019, 06:53 AM - 12 Likes   #31127
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 35,122
New arrivals, a returning pair of Rose Breasted Grosbeaks, probably the ones that have nested just down the hill from us for the last few years.





One of 6 Blue Jays who will probably be with us for the summer now.


The neighbourhood Ruffed Grouse


Male Purple Finch


And we had a short visit to the park, yesterday. We went looking for a moose, and we found a moose. How rare is that?

DA* 60-250 with HD DA 1.4 TC

Last edited by normhead; 05-09-2019 at 07:14 AM.
05-09-2019, 12:14 PM - 8 Likes   #31128
Pentaxian
Eyewanders's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Olympia, WA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,062
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Starlings.

There is another invasive species we could do without.

Brought to North America by a British guy who thought they were pretty.

He released them on the East coast, and the starling has multiplied to a point where it has out competed other birds over the entire continent. They are greasy looking things, and gather in huge flocks of thousands of birds. Their droppings foul the places they choose to roost. They nest communally, some acting as sentries to guard the nest. They are really quite intelligent, and learn quickly to avoid any mechanisms that man puts in place to eradicate them.
Indeed. Luckily I get few of them in my yard at my feeders... have only seen 2 or 3 this season (and not a single House Sparrow which is miraculous - they're all hanging out at McDonald's) but I've a BB gun in the closet next to my patio slider. They seem to KNOW when I'm coming for them - I've yet to have one stick around long enough to be targeted.

---------- Post added 05-09-19 at 12:17 PM ----------

Something a bit different from the 67 300/4.0.... My landlord hard at work.

05-09-2019, 12:47 PM - 2 Likes   #31129
Moderator
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 21,815
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Indeed. Luckily I get few of them in my yard at my feeders... have only seen 2 or 3 this season (and not a single House Sparrow which is miraculous - they're all hanging out at McDonald's) but I've a BB gun in the closet next to my patio slider. They seem to KNOW when I'm coming for them - I've yet to have one stick around long enough to be targeted.
Years ago I had a small cabin with a wood stove. When autumn came I loaded some kindling and built a fire. The whole place filled with smoke.

Seems starlings had built a nest in the chimney, which had a horizontal run where it exited the cabin wall. On the outside, the elbow that turned the chimney upwards had rusted through, and the birds used the hole to access the pipe. Apparently they didn't mind the creosote and smokey environs.

So I cleaned out the chimney, and being too cheap to buy new chimney pipe, I took some chicken wire and baling wire, and fashioned a screen to keep them out.

A few months later, in the spring, those starlings were out there, ripping the wire off, and in no time had a nest built.

I tried to redo the screen, but they just ripped it open.

So I laid in wait with a shotgun. Only had one or two chances to shoot any though. There was always at least one bird sitting on the roof of the cabin, standing watch. Anytime I was present, the one guarding the chimney nest would make a racket, squawking and strutting back and forth. All the other birds would become wary and stay away until I would leave.

Nuisances!

05-09-2019, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #31130
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,559
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Years ago I had a small cabin with a wood stove. When autumn came I loaded some kindling and built a fire. The whole place filled with smoke.

Seems starlings had built a nest in the chimney, which had a horizontal run where it exited the cabin wall. On the outside, the elbow that turned the chimney upwards had rusted through, and the birds used the hole to access the pipe. Apparently they didn't mind the creosote and smokey environs.

So I cleaned out the chimney, and being too cheap to buy new chimney pipe, I took some chicken wire and baling wire, and fashioned a screen to keep them out.

A few months later, in the spring, those starlings were out there, ripping the wire off, and in no time had a nest built.

I tried to redo the screen, but they just ripped it open.

So I laid in wait with a shotgun. Only had one or two chances to shoot any though. There was always at least one bird sitting on the roof of the cabin, standing watch. Anytime I was present, the one guarding the chimney nest would make a racket, squawking and strutting back and forth. All the other birds would become wary and stay away until I would leave.

Nuisances!
We had a two story house we built with a tile roof (Wet coast) and had to do a lot of work with foam guns to keep them out. Your chimney friends are reminiscent (and not pleasantly). We managed to keep them out of the chimneys because they were metal, and their nests wouldn't stick. We welded heavy hog wire to reinforce the chicken wire in the top of the double chimney. Before we got the trick, we had six come down the chimney and end up in th fireplace. It took days to get rid of the soot after we shooed them out (with extreme difficulty!)
05-09-2019, 06:29 PM - 3 Likes   #31131
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,488
Eared Grebe Podiceps nigricollis

male in breeding plumage

Eared Grebe Overview, All About Birds, Cornell Lab of Ornithology
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-09-2019 at 06:40 PM.
05-10-2019, 08:39 AM - 20 Likes   #31132
Pentaxian
zzeitg's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South Bohemia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,793
DFA 150-450







05-10-2019, 10:19 AM - 4 Likes   #31133
Pentaxian
Eyewanders's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Olympia, WA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,062
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
We had a two story house we built with a tile roof (Wet coast) and had to do a lot of work with foam guns to keep them out. Your chimney friends are reminiscent (and not pleasantly). We managed to keep them out of the chimneys because they were metal, and their nests wouldn't stick. We welded heavy hog wire to reinforce the chicken wire in the top of the double chimney. Before we got the trick, we had six come down the chimney and end up in th fireplace. It took days to get rid of the soot after we shooed them out (with extreme difficulty!)
I am fairly certain now that my local starlings read Pentax Forums; must have seen me bad-mouthing them here and gloating that they'd not been around much....because since literally one hour after that post I've had a foursome of them making feeder raids every hour or two. I *nearly* got a shot off on one of them but the other saw me and spooked him the moment of, and he took flight so I missed. I can't do anything in the morning hours because the sun comes in our east windows making any movement inside apparent and they take off quick ..... But once Noon rolls around the reflection/glare is good enough that I can creep to the sliding door. Now it's a mission, but maybe I shouldn't have said anything to begin with.

Conversely, we've our yearly pair of Violet-green swallows nesting in a ventilation hole up in the eaves of our house. I'm happy, far more than happy, to have them there. Here's is the soon-to-be-papa, as of just 10 minutes ago, guarding the flight path to the nest entrance.

P K-3 | DA*300




Last edited by Eyewanders; 05-10-2019 at 10:32 AM. Reason: make the typos go away
05-10-2019, 10:37 AM - 19 Likes   #31134
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
jacamar's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,364
Some migrant warbler shots from Rondeau and Point Pelee on the north shore of Lake Erie over the last few days.

Palm Warbler



Nashville Warbler



Black-and-White Warbler



A good year for Hooded Warblers. It's been several years since I was able to get an image of one.



Black-throated Blue Warbler



Prothonotary Warbler



K-3, DA*300 - it was gloomy at times so some were taken without the 1.4 x TC.
05-10-2019, 06:22 PM   #31135
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
WPRESTO's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,291
QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
DFA 150-450
Beautiful group of images
05-10-2019, 10:24 PM - 17 Likes   #31136
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2015
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 808
Black-winged Stilt.
K-3II, DFA 150-450, handheld. See exif for shot details.

Cheers,
Terry
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
05-10-2019, 10:34 PM - 13 Likes   #31137
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2015
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 808
Great Egret.
K-3II, DFA-150-450, Handheld. See exif for shot details.

Cheers,
Terry
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
05-11-2019, 09:11 AM - 12 Likes   #31138
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,481
K3 + 150-450

Juvenile Pied-Billed Grebe



Brown Thrasher



05-11-2019, 10:43 AM - 17 Likes   #31139
Pentaxian
zzeitg's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South Bohemia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,793
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Beautiful group of images
Thanks, WPRESTO!

DFA 150-450





05-11-2019, 12:39 PM - 28 Likes   #31140
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 220









Last edited by sutherland; 05-12-2019 at 03:16 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
300mm, 300mm plus lens, 560mm, beach, birds, canada, chickadee, club, coast, couple, dogs, feb, flickr, friend, gulf, half, lens club, lenses, love, moon, pentax lens, pm, post, scene, sea, series, shore, shot, sigma, sunset, wife
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Sigma Lens Club- All lenses Blue Lens Clubs 2527 2 Days Ago 09:20 AM
Soviet lenses club Voe Lens Clubs 3958 5 Days Ago 07:30 PM
Wanted - Acquired: Long lens >300mm in K-mount pop4 Sold Items 1 10-03-2010 03:03 AM
Pentax DA 55-300mm vs Tamron 70-300mm at long end (brickwall) tcdk Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 17 11-15-2009 12:52 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:26 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top