Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2019, 10:03 AM - 11 Likes   #31291
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxfall Quote
Unusual subject shot using Z7 and 500mm PF lens. 1st one is in FX mode and second one is DX mode. In DX mode, 24x16 image gets stretched to full EVF

DX mode
How do you like the handling and IQ of the PF lens?

---------- Post added 06-10-19 at 01:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tscip22 Quote
Egret Family
Cool shot!. How did you manage to get it at nest level?

---------- Post added 06-10-19 at 01:12 PM ----------

It was a hot day here yesterday but sunny. So, what else to do but to go out?
All taken with DA*300mm F4.

06-11-2019, 12:20 PM - 9 Likes   #31292
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Today at the feeder, we are used to squirrels. We've never had these guys last more than a few weeks.
I'm pretty sure the wolves or fishers get them.

K-3 and Tamron 300 2.8 with HD DA 1.4 TC.

06-11-2019, 01:17 PM   #31293
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by riseform Quote
Great gray owl
K1 DA 560
Nice owl capture!

---------- Post added 06-11-2019 at 02:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stihlmania Quote
Same lens set up, different hummingbird!
Nice feather detail.

---------- Post added 06-11-2019 at 02:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kengoh Quote
Pin Tailed Whydah in flight
K3 + Sigma 500 F4.5

Amazing in flight shot!
06-11-2019, 03:06 PM - 12 Likes   #31294

Sigma 120-400 + Pentax Ks2

With the Pentax Ks2 and the sigma 120-400, I get a little more sharpness than with the K3II (Or so I think)

06-12-2019, 06:20 AM - 3 Likes   #31295
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by swip Quote
How do you like the handling and IQ of the PF lens?[COLOR="Silver"]
As you may already know it is light, that was the prime reason for buying it. Since it is light, you use it more. Pictures are sharp. Some of the credit for accuracy goes to body. As you may know there is long waiting list for PF lens. If you decide to purchase, pre-order with small retail store as their waiting list will be smaller compared to B&H or Adorama.

As you may know, yesterday Sony filled 200-600mm slot. I recommend checking out that too.

---------- Post added 06-12-19 at 07:25 AM ----------

Z7 and 500mm PF lens

06-12-2019, 06:30 AM   #31296
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alejandro Mark II Quote
With the Pentax Ks2 and the sigma 120-400, I get a little more sharpness than with the K3II (Or so I think)

The slightly larger pixels may make a difference. My impression before I returned mine was that the Sigma 120-400 was out resolved by the K-3 sensor. Dialing back to 20 MP may have improved the image. It's not completely improbable.

I also have my Tamron 2x TC, which works well on the K-1 with the Tamron 300 2.8 but produces soft and fuzzy on the K-3.

Last edited by normhead; 06-12-2019 at 06:49 AM.
06-12-2019, 12:11 PM   #31297

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I also have my Tamron 2x TC, which works well on the K-1 with the Tamron 300 2.8 but produces soft and fuzzy on the K-3.
Yes, the sensor of the K1 seems to have a pixel density similar to K5, I hope that the next full frame does not put more megapixels.

I find the K3II a very demanding camera with some lenses, it works very well (but very well) with my tamron 70-200, with the 90 macro, even with modern compromise lenses like the 18-200 sigma contemporary works well. But some slightly older lenses look as if they are not up to this 24 mpx sensor.
It's a pity that some modern lenses from manufacturers like Sigma and Tamron are not available ....

06-12-2019, 11:28 PM - 13 Likes   #31298
Pentaxian

Newbie shot taken last time - Oriental Magpie Robin shot with K5 + Sigma 500/4.5

06-13-2019, 06:00 AM - 7 Likes   #31299
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I got to the state duck blind just as a bunch of kids were leaving. They've done more damage to it and left more trash every time I go...The DEC doesn't seem to care that it's being used for hookups and drug dealing.

Secondary runway was being used at the airport. So landing planes were flying over the house I used to live in, and planes taking off were flying over the house I live in now...

First brood of Robins has fledged...

06-13-2019, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #31300
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

we just returned late last night from a " Cubs Destination " trip to Denver [ you get tickets to 2 games, on 2nd day a private tour of the ball park, a lunch and an appearance by a member of the Cubs with ability to get one autograph and a question and answer session ]

unfortunately Monday was a good game but Cubs lost by one and Tuesday they got blown out

this is from the second game, pick off attempt

first, SOOC except for crop

second, crop and pp

from row 35 Section 143 Coors Field
hand held

K 3 + HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
06-13-2019, 10:54 AM - 11 Likes   #31301
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

06-13-2019, 12:20 PM   #31302
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
we just returned late last night from a " Cubs Destination " trip to Denver [ you get tickets to 2 games, on 2nd day a private tour of the ball park, a lunch and an appearance by a member of the Cubs with ability to get one autograph and a question and answer session ]

unfortunately Monday was a good game but Cubs lost by one and Tuesday they got blown out

this is from the second game, pick off attempt

first, SOOC except for crop

second, crop and pp

from row 35 Section 143 Coors Field
hand held

K 3 + HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE

I am not a pro photographer. I am curious, that since you used aperture priority if there was a reason you chose aperture 6.3 and not a more fully open aperture for a baseball action photo?

We are going to a Yankees-White Sox night game Saturday. Game photos I take have no significant historical value, but if I take my camera, I still want the photos to be as good as I can make them, and am interested in any tips I can get.
06-13-2019, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #31303
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
I am not a pro photographer. I am curious, that since you used aperture priority if there was a reason you chose aperture 6.3 and not a more fully open aperture for a baseball action photo?

We are going to a Yankees-White Sox night game Saturday. Game photos I take have no significant historical value, but if I take my camera, I still want the photos to be as good as I can make them, and am interested in any tips I can get.

The DA 55-300 PLM is wide open at ƒ6.3 at the long end. It had to be smaller to accommodate the PLM and to accommodate it's very fast moving focusing module.
06-13-2019, 01:04 PM   #31304
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote

as Norm indicated, it wasn't a choice on my part, it is the limitation of the lens.

BTW, I am, in no definition of the word, a " pro "

I just post a lot and do my best to learn and improve

I normally use my Pentax-D FA 70-200mm F2.8 lens for my lens of choice for my attempts to take photos at a MLB game

however, the Rockies do not allow a lens longer than 6 inches into the stadium and the D FA is 8 inches

I was a little worried that the PLM would not be allowed but I locked it down to the smallest size and there was no question about it as I went through security.

I use a zippered clear plastic bag 16 x 16 x 8 inches to carry my stuff into the MLB stadiums

each club sets its own policy, the White Sox has no limit on size:

" Cameras

Guests are permitted to carry cameras into the ballpark though no oversized or hard-sided camera bags/tripods are permitted."

Guaranteed Rate Field Information Guide | Chicago White Sox

if you haven't done it before, I urge you to look at that guide.

good luck

hope you post a few of your photos

Last edited by aslyfox; 06-13-2019 at 01:33 PM.
06-13-2019, 10:49 PM   #31305
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
as Norm indicated, it wasn't a choice on my part, it is the limitation of the lens.

BTW, I am, in no definition of the word, a " pro "

I just post a lot and do my best to learn and improve

I normally use my Pentax-D FA 70-200mm F2.8 lens for my lens of choice for my attempts to take photos at a MLB game

however, the Rockies do not allow a lens longer than 6 inches into the stadium and the D FA is 8 inches

I was a little worried that the PLM would not be allowed but I locked it down to the smallest size and there was no question about it as I went through security.

I use a zippered clear plastic bag 16 x 16 x 8 inches to carry my stuff into the MLB stadiums

each club sets its own policy, the White Sox has no limit on size:

" Cameras

Guests are permitted to carry cameras into the ballpark though no oversized or hard-sided camera bags/tripods are permitted."

Guaranteed Rate Field Information Guide | Chicago White Sox

if you haven't done it before, I urge you to look at that guide.

good luck

hope you post a few of your photos
Thank you for your post, both camera setting-wise, and game-wise!

I am a long-time White Sox fan going back to the 1960s (but while I was in grad school and shortly after I drove a tour bus out of Dubuque and attended Cub games about every weekend the Cubs were in town - drivers got in free - standing room only pass); we now live about 240 miles out, and only see a White Sox game every 3-5 years. We have done some RTs in a day but I am too old for that now, so we booked an interesting B & B in Bridgeport, at the Polo Inn. I urge you to check it out. I was going to take the fam downtown and take the Redline to the park, until I started exploring online for neighborhood options, and this looked interesting and possibly better, and more economical with free parking and free breakfast and 5-star Trip Advisor user hotel reviews and 5-star Trip Advisor restaurant reviews.

I have a Tokina 70-200mm f/2.8 lens, but it hunts a lot with my K-5. I am keeping the lens in case I upgrade my camera body, but seldom use it. I have a Tamron 18-250mm f/3.5. So I am conflicted over which lens to take. After all it is baseball and if one focuses on the batter, it is a static focus. Hunting shouldn't be a factor. We are in club seating (I would call it mezzanine level) just about where the outfield grass starts on the first base side. The game is a near sell-out which is not the norm on the South Side. This team is young and becoming interesting. They beat those damned Yankees, tonight after being in a hole 4-0.

Last edited by mroeder75; 06-13-2019 at 11:01 PM.