Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2019, 08:15 PM   #31321
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
While missing my former DA560 for its solid long distance performance and its top-level detail and clarity, I have found myself a new hobby: BIF
Seriously, in hindsight I would not have sold my DA560. I woúld have gotten the Canon 400DOII as I did, but would have saved up a bit longer, and would have gone in against my principle that I can only own óne 4000,- + lens.

Let's see what the Pentax new APS-C flagship will be next year. If it is very good, I will re-purchase the DA560 with the new Pentax flagship. The Canon 400DOII is a great lens, but very different from the DA560, which still remains a "600mm-light" prime. I know Sony has its new 200-600 zoom, but IQ will be so-so at 600mm compared to the DA560, and Pentax remains the only brand to make a top level detail 600mm'ish prime lens. It could not do shots like this one though, which is also at 560mm with the 1.4TC.

Chris
I'm find this and your commentary in a previous post very interesting. Do you feel that the DA 560 excels at long distance shooting because it is somewhat of a telescope design? How far is "long distance"?

I recently acquired an old SMC Pentax 500mm F4.5 which is very large and obviously there was no attempt by the lens designers to make it compact in any way, and while futzing around with it I shot trees at least 300m distant and I was surprised at how decently sharp it rendered the foliage. Perhaps a degradation of distant quality is the price to be paid for more compact tele lens design?

06-19-2019, 03:12 AM - 4 Likes   #31322
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I'm find this and your commentary in a previous post very interesting. Do you feel that the DA 560 excels at long distance shooting because it is somewhat of a telescope design? How far is "long distance"?

I recently acquired an old SMC Pentax 500mm F4.5 which is very large and obviously there was no attempt by the lens designers to make it compact in any way, and while futzing around with it I shot trees at least 300m distant and I was surprised at how decently sharp it rendered the foliage. Perhaps a degradation of distant quality is the price to be paid for more compact tele lens design?
I used the DA560 quite a bit for shooting at greater distance and using the cropping power of the K3, in all sorts of light. In comparing with my current lens, it strikes me how well the DA560 performed in e.g. harsh light. Very little "glow", blooming or haziness. Very good fine detail, contrast and color in types of light where my current lens simply struggles. Light had to get really merciless for the DA560 to give in to atmospheric distortions. I am sure the Canon and Nikon 10.000,- 500mm guns will also perform well here, but I now know that such performance is not a given.
The image below may not look like it was taken in very bright light, because I adjusted the exposure in raw, but it was nonetheless, and if you look at the fine and subtle details in the legs and the beak for instance, and the color and contrast that were not adjusted but default, then I can only say that no way that I am going to get that level of detail and contrast in crops from the Canon 400DOII+1.4TC at this distance and in this light, while in good light and at medium distance, it can keep up with the DA560 despite the converter. And other things it does so much better, like longitudinal CA correction and AF speed. It may be though, that the use of diffractive optics takes it toll regarding handling of difficult light. The new Sony 200-600mm, with its surgeon like mirrorless AF precision, would be an interesting comparison...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by Chris Mak; 06-19-2019 at 03:21 AM.
06-19-2019, 03:33 AM   #31323
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The 500mm f4.5 Takumar/Pentax is a really old design, and relatively simple, four elements in four groups. The only long tele I know of that has a simpler design is the 560mm f6.8 Leica/Novoflex which is a simple cemented doublet. For comparison, the 560mm Pentax has seven elements in six groups, and Sigma's 500mm APO EX has a whopping 12 elements in nine groups. The simple designs, even just a doublet, can be very sharp at the center*, but tend to be poor at the edges and are more prone to aberrations than modern complex designs.

*Very high quality astronomical apochromatic refractors are commonly cemented or air-spaced doublets or triplets.
06-19-2019, 07:36 AM   #31324
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
The 500mm f4.5 Takumar/Pentax is a really old design, and relatively simple, four elements in four groups. The only long tele I know of that has a simpler design is the 560mm f6.8 Leica/Novoflex which is a simple cemented doublet. For comparison, the 560mm Pentax has seven elements in six groups, and Sigma's 500mm APO EX has a whopping 12 elements in nine groups. The simple designs, even just a doublet, can be very sharp at the center*, but tend to be poor at the edges and are more prone to aberrations than modern complex designs.

*Very high quality astronomical apochromatic refractors are commonly cemented or air-spaced doublets or triplets.
Oh sure, the K 500/4.5 is a CA monster, but its surprisingly sharp performance at very long distance - better than the Tamron Adaptall 400/4 65B, which has a more complex optical formula and ED glass - in addition to the commentary by @Chris_Mak simply had me musing on the very large lens/very long performance correlation. Obviously there's a very small sample size at play, but I do find it interesting.

06-19-2019, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #31325
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Oh sure, the K 500/4.5 is a CA monster, but its surprisingly sharp performance at very long distance - better than the Tamron Adaptall 400/4 65B, which has a more complex optical formula and ED glass - in addition to the commentary by @Chris_Mak simply had me musing on the very large lens/very long performance correlation. Obviously there's a very small sample size at play, but I do find it interesting.
I'll again point out that refractors designed for astronomy that have exceptional optical quality commonly a doublet or triplet design. What they lack for normal photographic purposes is a field flattener, and once that extra glass is added, other aberration may (or might not) appear. Center sharpness can be achieved relatively easily, but corner-to-corner sharpness without color fringing and other image-degrading problems is difficult
06-19-2019, 02:18 PM   #31326
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote

I did consider the 500PF + D500, but it did not help that prospect for delivery of the 500PF was not that good. I believe that is still the case.
Nikon may yet make a 600PF yes, but I am not sure if any PF or DO lens would excell in far distance performance, because the Nikon 500PF and 300PF also seem at their best with close to mid distance shooting. Perhaps there is after all no way around a good old large and cumbersome lens for that.
I’ve heard mixed reports about the PF issues at distance or in challenging light. I know that the original 400 DO from Canon has some issues and challenges in backlighting. I would guess that the non-diffractive objects would have a slight advantage in the circumstances you have described. The 500 PF is indeed a unicorn right now as well.
06-19-2019, 03:17 PM - 4 Likes   #31327
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Two kingfishers were being very obliging at the Spinnies. Big crops, small resize, icky light (1600asa).
K3, Tamron 300mm f2.8 (60B) + sigma apo 1.4x tc. egret and heron with newly acquired tamron 1.4x tc.

06-19-2019, 05:47 PM - 16 Likes   #31328
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wild Turkey

I have not posted in some time and in the last few months I decided to move to the D500 - it was a difficult decision as I have shot Pentax for 40 years but bottom line the camera is just a tool and Pentax has been very slow to provide an upgrade to the K3. So for my wildlife shooting I have made the change. Feeling like a traitor

Male turkey looking for a friend

Attached Images

06-20-2019, 07:57 AM   #31329
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rkappleby Quote
I have not posted in some time and in the last few months I decided to move to the D500 - it was a difficult decision as I have shot Pentax for 40 years but bottom line the camera is just a tool and Pentax has been very slow to provide an upgrade to the K3. So for my wildlife shooting I have made the change. Feeling like a traitor

Male turkey looking for a friend
WONDERFUL IMAGE!
06-20-2019, 06:06 PM   #31330
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
WONDERFUL IMAGE!
Thank you the light just hit him perfectly
06-21-2019, 03:39 AM   #31331
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rkappleby Quote
Thank you the light just hit him perfectly
The bird also struck a dramatic full-frontal pose, something you cannot make happen, but you can be prepared for, see and capture such an opportunity when it arises. And BINGO! You did it. I have a lot of wild turkey imaes, none come close to that one.
06-21-2019, 07:46 AM - 15 Likes   #31332
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Looking at me? Punk?

Social weaver

African Fish eagle

Pale winged starling

06-21-2019, 08:20 AM   #31333
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FreeSpirit9 Quote
My understanding is that it is best that the bones should be raw and not cooked as they splinter when they are cooked. A vet told me not to give dogs cooked bones.
That's what I've heard for years, too. Besides, were in the wilderness do wild carnivores go to get cooked bones if they are the only ones safe for them to eat? It seems to me that they are adapted to eating only raw bones.
06-22-2019, 04:29 AM - 14 Likes   #31334
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here are a few recent pictures taken with my K-3ii/FA*600mm F4 ED [IF]/ Eckla window mount.

I am still amazed at the sharpness of the old FA*600mm F4 ED [IF] definitely my favorite lens.

06-23-2019, 01:36 AM - 1 Like   #31335
Pentaxian

Wow, great shots.