Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91879 Likes Search this Thread
09-11-2019, 08:18 PM - 13 Likes   #31636
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Shorebirds

Haven't posted for a long while. I am taking advantage of a very good location in my area for shorebirds this year.

semipalmated plover

Red neck phalarope

White rump sandpiper

Long billed dowitcher

09-11-2019, 08:22 PM - 1 Like   #31637
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ducatigaz Quote
Little Owl from the car with my K-3ii/FA*600mm F4 ED [IF]/Kirk window mount/RRS BH-55 ballhead.

Nice burrowing owl shots. I'm normally not a big fan of wildlife with manmade objects, but I think that the setting really adds to the image on these. Well done.
09-11-2019, 10:45 PM   #31638
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
Now you are just teasing me. I am eagerly awaiting the A* 400mm f/2.8 but it looks like rain is on the menu this week. I might have to take it for a road trip next weekend to find some clear skies.

Yeah, I had to do that for that shot... drove 1 3/4 hours (not too bad), to get to a mountain top far away from the big city lights...
But it was worth it!

Have fun with your new acquisition!
09-12-2019, 12:40 AM - 4 Likes   #31639
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by str8talk83 Quote
Nice burrowing owl shots. I'm normally not a big fan of wildlife with manmade objects, but I think that the setting really adds to the image on these. Well done.
+1

The Gray Heron was waiting in a oak tree for me until I had the picture in the box

and then he started

09-12-2019, 02:26 AM   #31640
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by str8talk83 Quote
Thanks Daniel. These are called Little Owls in the UK and they have made their home in a small derelict building
09-12-2019, 07:30 AM   #31641
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote

Yeah, I had to do that for that shot... drove 1 3/4 hours (not too bad), to get to a mountain top far away from the big city lights...
But it was worth it!

Have fun with your new acquisition!
I'm going to probably have to drive 1.5 hours to get some clear skies to a place I won't get bounced out of at 10:00PM but will still be fighting the moon. I do have the poor mans light pollution filter and got another one for the drop in filter holder so I'm less concerned about dark skies but the darker they are the better results. I will often shoot from my backyard which is a very light polluted spot , a bright bortle 8 with a large bortle 9 area about a mile away, so I am always impressed with what I manage to get. This has been a really bad year for astrophotography where I am because of weather and its love of being cloudy or raining when I have time to go out and try to do it. Hopefully it will be better this winter and I can go up to my lake property which is pretty dark and stand out in the middle of it and shoot all night some time.

There are lots of things up early in the night now that I can actually locate so I won't be lacking in targets in the sky. Andromeda is one I want to go after again but there are lots of others as well.
09-12-2019, 12:22 PM   #31642
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stihlmania Quote
PM me if you have questions about the A star 400 f 2.8 , it could take many posts to answer every question you will have! Haha!
Actually I lucked out and upon opening it's case I found that the original instructions were still in the little compartment. I sat and read through them and dorked around with the lens some last night to get the hang of things. This is a very different monster than anything else I have in my possession. As an example the ability to preset focus threw me for a loop. Apart from being rather filthy it was in good working order but didn't have any of the drop in filters. I put the red intensifier I got for it in once I cleaned the dust out of the back of it, there was a lot probably because the rear cap fell off in transit. A good blowing out, front element cleaning, and body wipe down did wonders and it is in better shape than claimed as most of the marks on the body from wear were actually dirt smudges. Now if it would just stop raining.

I guess my first real question is do I have to have a filter in it for it to focus correctly or can I get by without one? I did go and get a good UV filter to put in just to keep the dirt and dust out but if I don't need want a filter in can I take it out?

09-12-2019, 04:04 PM - 12 Likes   #31643
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Willy Wagtail.
K-3 II, DFA 150-450, handheld. See exif for shot details.

Cheers,
Terry
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
09-12-2019, 05:19 PM   #31644
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess my first real question is do I have to have a filter in it for it to focus correctly or can I get by without one? I did go and get a good UV filter to put in just to keep the dirt and dust out but if I don't need want a filter in can I take it out?
The short answer is YES.
09-12-2019, 08:03 PM   #31645
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mossy, which camera are you using?

Actually I lucked out and upon opening it's case I found that the original instructions were still in the little compartment. I sat and read through them and dorked around with the lens some last night to get the hang of things. This is a very different monster than anything else I have in my possession. As an example the ability to preset focus threw me for a loop. Apart from being rather filthy it was in good working order but didn't have any of the drop in filters. I put the red intensifier I got for it in once I cleaned the dust out of the back of it, there was a lot probably because the rear cap fell off in transit. A good blowing out, front element cleaning, and body wipe down did wonders and it is in better shape than claimed as most of the marks on the body from wear were actually dirt smudges. Now if it would just stop raining.

The 400 with my K3-II I can use or not use the drop in filter, just a slight re-focus if you take a. picture then remove/ install the filter. With the AF 1.7 just a half press and it is in focus. On a full frame camera there may be issues that I have not seen with the K3-II. In the past using film cameras I never shot without the drop in filter in. That was the law!!!!! I have a Pentax skylight and Pentax UV filters for the drop in, normally the UV is installed, mainly to keep dust from getting deeper into the lens! To date the lens has never needed service or internal cleaning. Use the focus preset with care as the focus is very smooth but very strong and I worry about possible internal damage if you fast focus and hit the focus stop hard. As the drop in is 49mm, you should have no problems finding any filter you need for Astro... The front filter is 145mm X 1.5mm thread if you are wondering, it's easier to find the Lost Dutchman mine.....which no one has ever found....than to find the screw in front filter...If one came with your lens, treasure it! Haha....
09-13-2019, 05:36 AM   #31646
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stihlmania Quote
The 400 with my K3-II I can use or not use the drop in filter, just a slight re-focus if you take a. picture then remove/ install the filter. With the AF 1.7 just a half press and it is in focus. On a full frame camera there may be issues that I have not seen with the K3-II. In the past using film cameras I never shot without the drop in filter in. That was the law!!!!! I have a Pentax skylight and Pentax UV filters for the drop in, normally the UV is installed, mainly to keep dust from getting deeper into the lens! To date the lens has never needed service or internal cleaning. Use the focus preset with care as the focus is very smooth but very strong and I worry about possible internal damage if you fast focus and hit the focus stop hard. As the drop in is 49mm, you should have no problems finding any filter you need for Astro... The front filter is 145mm X 1.5mm thread if you are wondering, it's easier to find the Lost Dutchman mine.....which no one has ever found....than to find the screw in front filter...If one came with your lens, treasure it! Haha....
I don't think I'm going to ever be using the prefocus since most of the time I will probably pointing this thing up at infinity with a very fine focus done. That was just a feature I hadn't ever seen or knew existed. It is nice that should I want to take the drop in filter out for those rare times when I won't need the red intensifier, poor man's light pollution filter, when I find a real dark spot well away from the glow of cities. I am planning on leaving that or the UV filter in it the rest of the time just to keep the dust out though. The drop in filter being 49mm is actually really nice as those filters are inexpensive easy to find.

Thanks for the answer. I might be able to make it out tonight so hopefully saturday I can start posting some pictures from the lens.
09-13-2019, 02:39 PM - 4 Likes   #31647
Pentaxian

K-5/A*1200mm F8 ED[IF]/Gitzo 5532LS

The Principality of Sealand, commonly known as Sealand, is a micronation that claims Roughs Tower, an offshore platform in the North Sea approximately 12 kilometres off the coast of Suffolk. as its territory.

This will give you an idea of the distance.

09-13-2019, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #31648
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The Principality of Sealand, commonly known as Sealand, is a micronation that claims Roughs Tower
I wonder how many countries have recognised it? ;-)

I see that Sealand will bestow titles such as baronies, knighthoods and duchies. One can become a Duke for only $US734.99: Products | Principality of Sealand
09-14-2019, 02:31 AM   #31649
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I wonder how many countries have recognised it? ;-)

I see that Sealand will bestow titles such as baronies, knighthoods and duchies. One can become a Duke for only $US734.99: Products | Principality of Sealand

I'm going to see if I can get a boat trip out to it, so I can get a closer look
09-14-2019, 04:06 AM   #31650
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm going to see if I can get a boat trip out to it, so I can get a closer look
CAREFUL! They might send out their navy to intercept you. Do you have a Sealand Visa?, A green card? Have you made reservations for a place to stay during your visit? Deck space for your sleeping bag is available at reasonable rates, extra charge if you bring a self-supporting tent (pegs to anchor a tent are against federal Sealand law). Make sure to register at your embassy when you arrive. etc, etc. etc.