Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91913 Likes Search this Thread
10-23-2019, 01:27 PM - 3 Likes   #31921
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I know you have moved on, Chris, but I wonder if you still use this lens?
I sold the DA560 when I moved to Canon, because it seemed to make no sense to have two of these expensive super telelens systems. I would not sell it as easily again though. The DA560 is a highly specialized lens and not appealing to the vast majority of Pentax shooters, but it enables a system with the very good IQ of the K3 and the 1.4TC, that can keep the iso down in lesser light and that at the same time performs exceptionally well in harsh very bright light. The DA560 has only few lens elements, and perhaps that is what contributed to the relatively low iso values when eg. compared to my new Canon set-up, and also the special type of clarity in the DA560 shots. So as a system it enables me to keep from going to the very expensive 500/4 and 600/4 lenses, and still get images in all types of light that are rewarding, despite it only being a F5.6 lens.

When you easily get forced into iso 1600-3200 in lesser light, the images quickly loose their appeal. In situations where you are reach limited, and I almost always am because I don't shoot from hides or cars, but always hike and cycle, the DA560 with the 1.4TC on a very good APS-C sensor ends up on the right side of a delicate balance.

10-23-2019, 01:32 PM   #31922
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
I sold the DA560 when I moved to Canon, because it seemed to make no sense to have two of these expensive super telelens systems. I would not sell it as easily again though. The DA560 is a highly specialized lens and not appealing to the vast majority of Pentax shooters, but it enables a system with the very good IQ of the K3 and the 1.4TC, that can keep the iso down in lesser light and that at the same time performs exceptionally well in harsh very bright light. The DA560 has only few lens elements, and perhaps that is what contributed to the relatively low iso values when eg. compared to my new Canon set-up, and also the special type of clarity in the DA560 shots. So as a system it enables me to keep from going to the very expensive 500/4 and 600/4 lenses, and still get images in all types of light that are rewarding, despite it only being a F5.6 lens.

When you easily get forced into iso 1600-3200 in lesser light, the images quickly loose their appeal. In situations where you are reach limited, and I almost always am because I don't shoot from hides or cars, but always hike and cycle, the DA560 with the 1.4TC on a very good APS-C sensor ends up on the right side of a delicate balance.
Interesting observations. Thanks for taking the time to respond so fully.
10-23-2019, 01:56 PM   #31923
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentikonian Quote
That's a nice series of photos.
Thank you.
10-23-2019, 03:02 PM   #31924
Unregistered User

560mm focus problems

Y'all may recall I'd bought one and ended up sending it back because it couldn't focus on anything. Then I bought another one (this time from THE local authorized Pentax dealer's brick and mortar storefront) having tested it before I bought it. Then the adventures began. Found that although it was sharp enough, it was front-focusing something fierce. Couldn't adjust the K-1 enough to compensate, it was beyond "-10". Did get the KP to work but only at minus-ten.

Being a glutton for punishment, I went out in the yard today to try it some more. After a couple hours' tedium consisting of focus, shoot, adjust, focus, shoot, adjust, etc., with no real results, something seemed to pop loose. It's like it had been sleeping and suddenly woke up. I suspect it had sat on the dealer's shelf in one position for too long, and some grease had become too viscous or something.

Anyway, I suddenly found that it was back-focusing with the adjustment set to the minus-max. Then I was able to make progress. Ended up at -6 on the KP and -7 on the K-1. Seems to work fine, pictures sharp enough ( I reckon it will never be as sharp as, say, the DA 55*). It's like it had to be "broken in" or something. I figure rotating the focus ring all the way one way alternating with all the way the other way in between shots (I always run the autofocus from one extreme and the other when calibrating lenses) must have loosened it up sufficiently. I wonder whether it will keep changing over time.

As Gomer (Jim Nabors) said, "Surprise, surprise, surprise!"; or as Vizzini (Wallace Shawn) said, "Inconceivable!". I don't have to pay another $275 in shipping alone to get the dern thing fixed by Precision (assuming Ricoh would authorize warranty service something in the next year). Plop, plop, fizz, fizz...

10-23-2019, 03:33 PM - 11 Likes   #31925
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sulphur-crested Cockatoo.
K-3 II, DFA 150-450 handheld. See exif for shot details.

Cheers,
Terry
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
10-23-2019, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #31926
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
Y'all may recall I'd bought one and ended up sending it back because it couldn't focus on anything. Then I bought another one (this time from THE local authorized Pentax dealer's brick and mortar storefront) having tested it before I bought it. Then the adventures began. Found that although it was sharp enough, it was front-focusing something fierce. Couldn't adjust the K-1 enough to compensate, it was beyond "-10". Did get the KP to work but only at minus-ten.

Plop, plop, fizz, fizz...
Wow, what a nightmare.

What I have learned so far is working with a lens longer than 500mm will require another level of skill to capture good sharp pictures successfully. I am still learning.

Last edited by swip; 10-23-2019 at 08:00 PM.
10-23-2019, 11:17 PM   #31927
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote

Cheers,
Terry
Just wow! TFS.
Best.

10-24-2019, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #31928
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote

Cheers,
Terry
Gorgeous bird well shot. Thanks for posting it.

---------- Post added 2019-10-24 at 10:17 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote

Being a glutton for punishment, I went out in the yard today to try it some more. After a couple hours' tedium consisting of focus, shoot, adjust, focus, shoot, adjust, etc., with no real results, something seemed to pop loose. It's like it had been sleeping and suddenly woke up. I suspect it had sat on the dealer's shelf in one position for too long, and some grease had become too viscous or something.

Anyway, I suddenly found that it was back-focusing with the adjustment set to the minus-max. Then I was able to make progress. Ended up at -6 on the KP and -7 on the K-1. Seems to work fine, pictures sharp enough ( I reckon it will never be as sharp as, say, the DA 55*). It's like it had to be "broken in" or something. I figure rotating the focus ring all the way one way alternating with all the way the other way in between shots (I always run the autofocus from one extreme and the other when calibrating lenses) must have loosened it up sufficiently. I wonder whether it will keep changing over time.

As Gomer (Jim Nabors) said, "Surprise, surprise, surprise!"; or as Vizzini (Wallace Shawn) said, "Inconceivable!". I don't have to pay another $275 in shipping alone to get the dern thing fixed by Precision (assuming Ricoh would authorize warranty service something in the next year). Plop, plop, fizz, fizz...
My super duper is 680 mm (M 400/5.6 + 1.7X AFA). That gives me f/9.5 and focusing is an absolute nightmare, but when I get it, the combo is gorgeous. I'm sure your 560 is even better.
10-24-2019, 09:45 AM - 4 Likes   #31929
Pentaxian

Caught a male Gila Woodpecker at the Hummingbird feeder just a few minutes ago. I was about 7 feet away, standing at the patio door. Bird is in shadow. Shot handheld, K-1, DA*300, 1/125s, f/8, ISO400. No crop, just resized for web.

10-24-2019, 09:54 AM   #31930
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great catch!
10-24-2019, 09:58 AM   #31931
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Great catch!
Thanks!
10-24-2019, 10:22 AM   #31932
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Caught a male Gila Woodpecker at the Hummingbird feeder just a few minutes ago. I was about 7 feet away, standing at the patio door. Bird is in shadow. Shot handheld, K-1, DA*300, 1/125s, f/8, ISO400. No crop, just resized for web.
Top notch.
10-24-2019, 11:50 AM   #31933
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So cool you were able to get that!
10-24-2019, 12:12 PM   #31934
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Top notch.
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
So cool you were able to get that!
Thanks!
10-24-2019, 02:24 PM   #31935
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Charlie Victor Quote