Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2020, 01:53 PM - 5 Likes   #33616
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I am seriously considering the 560mm Are these shots hand held or tripod or monopod?
These days the 560 is pretty much always on a tripod or bean bag. These were all on the tripod.

At the nest site I was really longing for a faster frame rate and buffer. Those little heads only dart out for a split second and I missed a lot of potential shots. Can't wait to see what the Knew has in store for us.

05-25-2020, 02:02 PM - 6 Likes   #33617
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by riseform Quote
These days the 560 is pretty much always on a tripod or bean bag. These were all on the tripod.

At the nest site I was really longing for a faster frame rate and buffer. Those little heads only dart out for a split second and I missed a lot of potential shots. Can't wait to see what the Knew has in store for us.
Years ago I took a similar shot with my sigma 70-200/2.8 plus 2x TC

But, I will admit I cheated. 2 shots, one with the chick one with the adult. The knot hole with its shadow made the perfect cut line , I cut the chick out of one photo and dropped it into the one with the adult at an otherwise empty hole.

The beaks just happened to allign
05-25-2020, 03:13 PM   #33618
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Beautiful, and the timing is very good...
Thank you very much.

reminds me of an ouroboros
Truth be known... think we're really talking two animals here.

05-26-2020, 01:08 AM - 8 Likes   #33619
Pentaxian

DFA 150-450

05-26-2020, 04:03 AM - 14 Likes   #33620
Pentaxian

Here are a few shots from another 5am start.
K-5/Sigma 800mm F5.5 APO EX/RRS BH-55/Kirk window mount.

K-3ii/FA*600mm F4 ED [IF]/RRS BH-55/Kirk window mount.

05-26-2020, 05:54 PM   #33621
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swip Quote
Are those snow geese on the background?
Possibly? Lots of geese, cranes, and other migratory birds this time of year.
05-26-2020, 07:12 PM   #33622
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@zzeitg might have quicker reflexes than I do but I've found the best way to photograph hummingbird moths is to study them for a bit before shooting. They seem to be pretty methodical as they go about feeding, and I've found I have a decent shot at predicting where they are going.

A 400/5.6

If I guess right and prepare, I can even shoot with my Tamron Adaptall 90/2.5 Macro...
Awesome! Iíve seen them feeding a few times in my life (usually on blooming lavender) but never had a camera with me at the time.
05-27-2020, 01:51 AM - 5 Likes   #33623
Forum Member

Pentax K5ii + Sigma 120-400mm

05-27-2020, 09:35 AM - 4 Likes   #33624
Pentaxian

These things are a real pain for us here... but I'm quite happy with the detail from the A 400...

05-27-2020, 10:13 AM - 5 Likes   #33625
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
These things are a real pain for us here... but I'm quite happy with the detail from the A 400...
When we had our last dog, Lady, those things saved her life.

Lady was a Smooth Collie bitch who had spent 5 years in an old folks home after an abuse filled puppyhood. She was 19 inches at the shoulder and weighed 52 pounds (24 Kg) when we picked her up. The old folks home, where my wife was a shift lead RN for 50 patients, was going to put Lady down because she was constantly ill. She would eat anything that hit the floor, and was given other things by the residents. The home was one floor, and outside was maybe 6 inches (15 cm) below the floor at the door where she was let out. My wife brought her home on a one month trial. 5 days later my wife bought a District of Sparwood dog license for her.

She couldn't climb into a car, so I lifted her in when we brought her home. She had to learn to navigate stairs to get to the doggy bathroom, and did fairly quickly. As to the original line in this old man's gabby post, we took her for walks in the fields which were full of ground squirrels. I only know of one person who claims her dog caught one -- she owned a German Shepherd and it is remotely possible that is true. The progress over three months can be boiled down to: Walk, Stroll, Trot, Run, Canter (do dog's canter?), gallop and RUN*. She also was reduced to 37 pounds of dog in very good health. She drove us insane for 6 years, as any dog will do. We both miss her.

*After the first year Lady caught up to a 15 year old on in line skates half way down the 7% four lane paved hill we live on in two houses down from a standing start in our carport. The teen was a good enough skater to just stop and glare at us without crashing. Needless to say, we needed CPR when Lady nipped at the heels trying to herd the teen.
05-27-2020, 10:28 AM   #33626
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DA* 300 on KP

BIG. C17 I think.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
05-27-2020, 11:03 AM   #33627
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote

Lady was a Smooth Collie bitch who had spent 5 years in an old folks home after an abuse filled puppyhood. She was 19 inches at the shoulder and weighed 52 pounds (24 Kg) when we picked her up. The old folks home, where my wife was a shift lead RN for 50 patients, was going to put Lady down because she was constantly ill. She would eat anything that hit the floor, and was given other things by the residents. The home was one floor, and outside was maybe 6 inches (15 cm) below the floor at the door where she was let out. My wife brought her home on a one month trial. 5 days later my wife bought a District of Sparwood dog license for her.

She couldn't climb into a car, so I lifted her in when we brought her home. She had to learn to navigate stairs to get to the doggy bathroom, and did fairly quickly. As to the original line in this old man's gabby post, we took her for walks in the fields which were full of ground squirrels. I only know of one person who claims her dog caught one -- she owned a German Shepherd and it is remotely possible that is true. The progress over three months can be boiled down to: Walk, Stroll, Trot, Run, Canter (do dog's canter?), gallop and RUN*. She also was reduced to 37 pounds of dog in very good health. She drove us insane for 6 years, as any dog will do. We both miss her.

*After the first year Lady caught up to a 15 year old on in line skates half way down the 7% four lane paved hill we live on in two houses down from a standing start in our carport. The teen was a good enough skater to just stop and glare at us without crashing. Needless to say, we needed CPR when Lady nipped at the heels trying to herd the teen.
Give us tales like this, and you can be as gabby as you like - and we will welcome it!
05-27-2020, 11:31 AM   #33628
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote

Great story - our old dog (a rottweiler/lab mix of sorts) caught a few on occasion, we were quite shocked when she turned up with one in her mouth. Later we saw her get one too. Our current Maremma will chase them all the time, and when they go down the hole, she'll lie there and whine as well as sometimes digging away. I wouldn't be too surprised if she got one someday, with the volume of them around...

The problem with them here is all the holes they put in the ground. Perfect for horses and livestock to break a leg in. Not to mention that they are very good at getting into gardens and eating everything.
05-27-2020, 03:18 PM - 4 Likes   #33629
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These are with the primitive tamron 400mm f7.5 (except #1 - sigma 18-125mm @ 30mm, Grand Hotel arrowed). #2 1:1 pixel peep crop (some atmospheric turbulance). #6 hand held.
A clumsy lens to use, the whole barrel rotates when focussing, no TM. I am making a custom plate to act as a palm rest, bean bag rest and provide a tripod mount point.
But of the t-mount 400's it's a sharp one.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
05-27-2020, 08:39 PM   #33630
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
These are with the primitive tamron 400mm f7.5 (except #1 - sigma 18-125mm @ 30mm, Grand Hotel arrowed). #2 1:1 pixel peep crop (some atmospheric turbulance). #6 hand held.
A clumsy lens to use, the whole barrel rotates when focussing, no TM. I am making a custom plate to act as a palm rest, bean bag rest and provide a tripod mount point.
But of the t-mount 400's it's a sharp one.
What inspired this acquisition?