Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91898 Likes Search this Thread
06-23-2020, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #33781
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
Goglu des prés / Bobolink [Dolichonyx oryzivorus] ♂

Un oiseau qui devient difficile à observer dans notre région puisque les champs incultes sont de plus en plus rares. Ils fréquentent les champs de foin cultivés, mais lorsque ceux-ci sont fauchés en début de saison, leur nid qui est au sol est détruit avec leur petits. Il faut ici sensibiliser les cultivateurs pour repousser la coupe le plus tard possible en juillet pour sauver les nichées.

This bird is getting hard to see in our region because their breeding spaces, the wild meadowlands, are getting scarce. In the absence of wild meadowlands, bobolinks nest in farm fields where the young fall prey to the combine. We need to leave them some hayfields that aren’t harvested until mid-July... Please pass the word on farmers!

ref: Bobolinks and Meadowlarks in search of Grasslands (2015)

The Bobolink is a bird that should be common in Illinois, and was when most farms were small and diversified and included significant proportions of pasture and hay meadow. I remember reading about them around 1980, when they were already about 97% reduced from their former population levels here.

With annual migrations extending from as far north as prairies in central Canada to grasslands in southern Argentina, the Bobolink is the farthest migrating land bird of the Americas.

Thanks for letting me see a recent picture of one. I've only seen them in books and magazine articles.

06-23-2020, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #33782
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
Thanks for letting me see a recent picture of one. I've only seen them in books and magazine articles.
We look for them in a couple of "alvar" areas in southern Ontario - undisturbed meadow/ranchland because the soil is so thin over a limestone base that not many trees or shrubs can grow, and the land can't be ploughed. We see them at a distance and they have a nice bubbly song but getting close enough for a photo is difficult. This was from last year.

06-23-2020, 02:31 PM - 6 Likes   #33783
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A dog, not in its natural habitat

Pentax K1, Nikon 500mm F4 P, TC-301 teleconverter, Luck
06-23-2020, 02:53 PM   #33784
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
We look for them in a couple of "alvar" areas in southern Ontario - undisturbed meadow/ranchland because the soil is so thin over a limestone base that not many trees or shrubs can grow, and the land can't be ploughed. We see them at a distance and they have a nice bubbly song but getting close enough for a photo is difficult. This was from last year.

There is a very large open grass field south of the Ottawa airport that usually attracts a relatively large number of them to breed in the summer.

However, the city is doing construction in the area right now putting up a new light rail line. And I think house construction will be coming to the area soon.

I surely hope they don't destroy this rare habitat so we can continue to see these beautiful birds come back in future years.

06-23-2020, 04:15 PM   #33785
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Are you sure it is warmer up there at those places?

Nice area. I worked a summer at Leigh Creek, in the coal mine (if it breaks it is coal, if it doesn't it is rocks - 'coal' so defined was shipped tot he power station). After that I had sme money and bought my first Pentax, MX with M50/2. Nice bit of kit.
That would have been around the time they moved the town to dig under the old one then I guess? About 0C last night.... cold for us Aussies.... but seems a bit wimpish for the Northern Americans I guess.... lovely blue skies.
06-23-2020, 11:30 PM   #33786
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
Look like the European Tree Sparrows we have a small population of here in Western Illinois.

That fits. Is it known how did they get to IL?
06-24-2020, 06:24 AM   #33787
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
That fits. Is it known how did they get to IL?
Several decades ago a few were accidentally released in the St. Louis area, and they have slowly expanded their range. They are more slowly invasive than the English Sparrow.

06-24-2020, 07:29 AM - 20 Likes   #33788
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by swip Quote
Very impressive, Gary.
I guess there is no need for tripods for you.
Thanks. I always have a tripod with me in case I have to go on foot after something.

These juvenile Kestrel shots are from another 04:45 morning. K-3/FA600mm F4 ED [IF]/RRS BH-55/Kirk window mount.

06-24-2020, 08:32 AM - 8 Likes   #33789
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

...but getting close enough for a photo is difficult.
Yes they are ...
I was lucky to be able the same subject at approx 50 ft in an open field, with some patience...

so here's another shot of the same individual that was quite cooperative compared to the others in the vicinity...

06-24-2020, 10:35 AM - 8 Likes   #33790
Pentaxian

First outing since I acquired the DA*300 +K-3 all handled.

Last edited by Jome; 08-30-2020 at 08:46 AM.
06-24-2020, 11:50 AM - 2 Likes   #33791
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jome Quote
First outing since I acquired the DA*300 +K-3 all handled.
Yes this is a nice combo! I got one of my friends get a used K-3ii, and I have laoned him my DA*300 + HDTC to tease him, and he seems well served and suprised of the image quality he can get... he's now a new pentaxian !
06-24-2020, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #33792
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
he's now a new pentaxian !
That's the ticket - bring 'em in by stealth!
06-24-2020, 07:55 PM   #33793
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's the ticket - bring 'em in by stealth!
I converted a Canon user that way after a night of astro shooting.
06-25-2020, 01:53 AM - 14 Likes   #33794
Veteran Member

A bit tight up here buddy...

Thats a bit better champ...

06-25-2020, 02:01 AM - 1 Like   #33795
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
A bit tight up here buddy...

Thats a bit better champ...
Hi Noel

A local dust storm blowing through........

Nice shots Noel

Dave
« The Tammy Club! | - »