Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91790 Likes Search this Thread
09-20-2020, 12:24 AM   #34276
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
A couple years ago I tested my K-3 II + long tele lenses on a tripod and found that as long as my hands were on the camera, having SR=ON is better than SR=OFF.
If possible I try and shoot multiple images with SR off and on, have tried this at all shutter speeds. Jury is still out ( over 23,000 shutter count now on the K-3 II ) with the A * 400 but ISO 400 or less always produces the best images...SR on or off.

09-20-2020, 05:17 AM - 1 Like   #34277
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks Luftluss and Styhlmania

I suppose that bit of movement with the hand on the camera is enough for the SR to kick in. I'm trying to remember to reduce the shutter speed and the aperture to bring the ISO down for those slower moving birds.
09-20-2020, 03:13 PM - 7 Likes   #34278
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I tried my Nikon D300 and 500mm F4 P lens today. Seems my manual focus skills have suffered, and the camera was set to centre weight exposure which didn't help in some shots. I did enjoy not having to get within spooking distance of animals though.

I was photo-ing these guys when they got spooked by some walkers

Sitting so far away in the grass I waited forever for this guy to look up

I was taking photos of cows from a very safe distance hiding behind a log, only to see walkers practically brush up against them when walking through. I might try a 28mm for cow wildlife photos next time... but it seems they get spooked when you stop walking and pay attention. Nobody needs a spooked cow
09-20-2020, 03:33 PM   #34279
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RedRuff Quote
I tried my Nikon D300 and 500mm F4 P lens today. Seems my manual focus skills have suffered, and the camera was set to centre weight exposure which didn't help in some shots. I did enjoy not having to get within spooking distance of animals though.

I was photo-ing these guys when they got spooked by some walkers

Sitting so far away in the grass I waited forever for this guy to look up

I was taking photos of cows from a very safe distance hiding behind a log, only to see walkers practically brush up against them when walking through. I might try a 28mm for cow wildlife photos next time... but it seems they get spooked when you stop walking and pay attention. Nobody needs a spooked cow
Cows, generally speaking, are difficult to spook when calves are not around.

09-21-2020, 12:40 PM - 7 Likes   #34280
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tamron SP telephoto supertest

This is my first comparison of the three 300mm f2.8's, and the 400mm f4, alone and with the 014F 1.4x teleconverter (a lens p0rn pic here ). The DFA 150-450mm provides a point of further comparison.
The 107B and 360B are in very good condition, the 400mm 65B is a bit more worn but optically pristine, my 60B is a bit of a beater, it was very worn when I acquired it about 5 yrs ago, and then I dropped it (it slid out of a Lowe slingshot pack when the zip undid) onto the mount end, subsequently I have not been able to use PKA mounts and the aperture ring is stiff and doesn't click.
My usual test subject - a turret on Conwy castle with good bright sunlight. I used my K3-ii, M mode and manual focus with all lenses using 10x live view, manfrotto 055Xprob tripod with Slik 800 (~45mm) ballhead (all the lenses have plates to balance them), remote shutter cable. Actually I found this set up to be a bit prone to vibration, I ended up pressing a finger against the side of the camera a lot to try to supress that, and I had to switch off SR. I didn't end up with any images obviously showing shake (and I upped the ASA to 200 and 400 rather than dip the shutter speeds below 1/320th) but it's a potential source of inconsistency/error.
Cropped section was also approx the point of focus. 300mm pic 1. 400mm pic 2.

300mm lenses alone. "Filmstrips" by f stop.

300mm's + 014F tc = 420mm, and 400mm 65B.

Observations.
First thing I can say is that these are all very good lenses. Second, the DFA 150-450mm stands tall against some heavyweight vintage competition. However both the 60B and the 65B yield little/nothing to the DFA at optimum F stops: f5.6, f8. The "beater" 60B is the surprise front runner of the 300's. 107B is a tad softer at wider apertures, improving as its stopped down and eventually catching up at around f8. My 360B is a slight disappointment, it's possible I have a slightly "off" copy, it is also possible that this is a lens where you're always chasing critical focus without ever being sure you've actually nailed it, it's that ticklish! The 400mm 65B is impressively consistent, definitely holds an edge over the 300's+tc, although the 60B+tc is very close. Comparing wide open 65B image resolution with the DFA (I am using a hazro 27" IPS screen these days, a big upgrade over my old one), the DFA edges it but its very close. F5.6 vs f5.6, still DFA by a short nose imo. At F8 I can't put one ahead of the other. The DFA also has no purple fringing of reflections off the lightning conductor.
65B also performed well with the 1.4x tc at 560mm.
09-21-2020, 12:43 PM   #34281
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Cows, generally speaking, are difficult to spook when calves are not around.
Good to know, but in this instance there were very many calves, and one very observant bull
09-21-2020, 01:47 PM   #34282
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
my 60B is a bit of a beater, it was very worn when I acquired it about 5 yrs ago, and then I dropped it (it slid out of a Lowe slingshot pack when the zip undid) onto the mount end, subsequently I have not been able to use PKA mounts and the aperture ring is stiff and doesn't click.
If you're getting that kind for performance from a beater that is a well built beater. I kind of want one now but (un)fortunately what I would do with it I am better served by the A* 400/2.8.

09-21-2020, 01:59 PM   #34283
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RedRuff Quote
Good to know, but in this instance there were very many calves, and one very observant bull
Aaaah -- you didn't mention the big guy! Very different circumstances.
09-22-2020, 12:07 AM - 1 Like   #34284
Pentaxian

Observations.
First thing I can say is that these are all very good lenses. Second, the DFA 150-450mm stands tall against some heavyweight vintage competition. However both the 60B and the 65B yield little/nothing to the DFA at optimum F stops: f5.6, f8. The "beater" 60B is the surprise front runner of the 300's. 107B is a tad softer at wider apertures, improving as its stopped down and eventually catching up at around f8. My 360B is a slight disappointment, it's possible I have a slightly "off" copy, it is also possible that this is a lens where you're always chasing critical focus without ever being sure you've actually nailed it, it's that ticklish! The 400mm 65B is impressively consistent, definitely holds an edge over the 300's+tc, although the 60B+tc is very close. Comparing wide open 65B image resolution with the DFA (I am using a hazro 27" IPS screen these days, a big upgrade over my old one), the DFA edges it but its very close. F5.6 vs f5.6, still DFA by a short nose imo. At F8 I can't put one ahead of the other. The DFA also has no purple fringing of reflections off the lightning conductor.
65B also performed well with the 1.4x tc at 560mm.
Thank you for your very interesting comparison Marcus! I really like these kind of fast tests and learning how some rare lenses perform.

I also have the 60B and is a great 300mm lens. If you stop it down to f3.2 you get rid of the CAs and the lens is sharp without doubt! I also have compared it to my DFA 150-450 both with and without a 1.4 TC. I found that at 300mm and the same aperture you can't tell the difference between the lenses in terms of sharpness and the 60B is a bit better at long distances (over 15m). At 420mm the lenses are performing very similarly too and you can tell which lens is which only by the color rendering, the DFA is clearly the winner with richer and saturated typical Pentax colors.

Another comparison you might want to know about is which 1.4X TC is better for the Tamron 60B. I made a lot of tests using the original Tamron 014F TC that came with the lens, against the HD Pentax DA 1.4X and I was surprised to find out that the Tamron is clearly better! The Pentax TC has more CAs when paired with th 60B and also the IQ is inferior outside the center of the image. The good thing is that vignetting is not a problem at all, but edge sharpness is poor. The Tamron 014F is really good from edge to edge and if you own the 60B I would recommend getting one if interested in going to 420/4.
09-22-2020, 04:36 AM - 1 Like   #34285
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for your interesting comments redpit.
I have experienced fringing with 60B (as the most used of these) at most f stops, but you're right, stopping down a bit is normally enough to minimise it, and lightroom does the rest.
With natural subjects like the castle tower, it can be a moot point whether you're seeing mainly a contrast difference or a resolution difference. Contrast is a strong point of the DFA 150-450mm. I now also have a set of close focus results from the same lenses, including a bit of test chart which highlights that. If people are keen I can present some crops, however the test didn't reveal anything different overall in the comparison.

You did notice the lower sets of "filmstrips" were with the 014F, right? I have previously tried the DFA with several 1.4x tc's (kenko, teleplus, tamron as well as the DFA 1.4x), all did pretty well, the main lesson for me was that if the lens is good, any decent tc will do ok. And that there is a bit of a mix-'n-match game to play with tc's. I did post some results here.
09-22-2020, 02:29 PM - 8 Likes   #34286
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been checking up on the seal pup. DFA 150-450mm, KS2.

Look at me, already so much bigger and fatter!

Gi' us kiss maaa!

The male seals are ready to mate again as soon as the pup is born, but she's not having any of it.

Way to go, Ma!

That's made me hungry.
09-22-2020, 03:00 PM   #34287
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been checking up on the seal pup. DFA 150-450mm, KS2.

Look at me, already so much bigger and fatter!

Gi' us kiss maaa!

The male seals are ready to mate again as soon as the pup is born, but she's not having any of it.

Way to go, Ma!

That's made me hungry.
I'm enjoying this series. Thanks!
09-22-2020, 03:18 PM - 10 Likes   #34288
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K5 with sigma 70-200/2.8 EX and sigma 2x TC

While I have used my new DA 560 a lot lately my old stand by for birding can still do the job, although I am getting spoiled with the precision of the AF with the DA560. I think it is largely the indecision and backlash in the screw drive of the old sigma ( I have owned it for 17 years after all
09-22-2020, 10:42 PM - 21 Likes   #34289
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

New Holland Honeyeater in the Grevillea.
K-1, DFA 150-450 handheld. See exif for shot details.

Cheers,
Terry
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
09-23-2020, 07:05 AM - 14 Likes   #34290
Pentaxian

A few recent pictures. Taken with my K-5/Sigma 800mm F5.6 APO EX/RRS BH-55/Kirk window mount.

« The M Club! | - »