Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-x + DA*300

11-18-2021, 09:51 AM - 10 Likes   #37236
Pentaxian

K-1 and Tamron 300 2.8 AF with HD DA 1.4 TC

I got the blind repaired yesterday... finally. We spotted a lifer for up here , at least for us. A Rock Pidgeon.

Not the best image but good for ID.

And not our first but another surprise, a grackle, the flocks have left , I have no idea why this guy is still here.

The regular squirrels and Jays,

And real surprise, again, a first for our yard....an Ermine

He's very sneaky and hard to track. Hopefully I get a better image later.

I wondered where all the chipmunks went. It looks like most of them became this guy's dinners.
11-18-2021, 12:28 PM - 4 Likes   #37237
Pentaxian

If you set the camera at 55, to ƒ/4.5 when you zoom in and out it will maintain the accurate shutter speed throughout if in AV mode.

K-5 and DA 55-300 PLM

Is it the best light weight option for both the K-1 and K-5? Absolutely.

All images taken with the K-5 (original).

You have to be aware of what you're doing... even though it "doesn't work correctly" compared to manual focus it's awesome. Compared to screw drive noise it's awesome. The AF speed is 7 times the speed of DA 55-300- WR at 55mm and twice as fast at 300mm... it is still best in class, and best for the K-5 despite it's limitations.

If you are going to have no options for changing your f-stop, 55mm 4.5 and 300 mm ƒ/6.3 are great all purpose options.

If you have the lens and a K-5, it won't take you more than a few minutes to figure it out.
If you don't, you'll probably just keep spouting half truths.

And the big bonus, if you upgrade your body, you're all set.

Last edited by normhead; 11-18-2021 at 02:15 PM.
11-18-2021, 09:27 PM   #37238
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
K-1 and Tamron 300 2.8 AF with HD DA 1.4 TC

I got the blind repaired yesterday... finally. We spotted a lifer for up here , at least for us. A Rock Pidgeon.

Not the best image but good for ID.

And not our first but another surprise, a grackle, the flocks have left , I have no idea why this guy is still here.

The regular squirrels and Jays,

And real surprise, again, a first for our yard....an Ermine

He's very sneaky and hard to track. Hopefully I get a better image later.

I wondered where all the chipmunks went. It looks like most of them became this guy's dinners.
Norm - I loved all these pics, but really loved your capture of the ermine! What an exotic beautiful little critter to see out in the wild!

Re your comments re the 55-300mm PLM - I agree with all of them. When I first got mine, with my (then) new KP I was really impressed. And as you say, it is SO light. But since acquiring the 150-450kmm, I seem to have abandoned my 55-300mm PLM. But NOT forgotten it - every time I find myself labouring with lugging around the monster 150-450mm, I think of the PLM. But the extra reach is so good. And I have to justify the cost of it by favouring it!!!!!

Last edited by K2 to K50; 11-18-2021 at 09:34 PM.
11-19-2021, 05:51 AM - 10 Likes   #37239
Pentaxian

A few recent shots with my K3iii/FA*600mm F4 ED[IF] resting on the door mirror of my car.

I think I've been spotted. Female Kestrel in the hover.

K3iii/FA*600mm F4 ED[IF]/RRS BH-55/Eckla window mount.

K3ii/Sigma 300mm F2.8 EX DG/Gitzo 5532LS through double glazed window.

11-19-2021, 08:35 AM   #37240
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Norm - I loved all these pics, but really loved your capture of the ermine! What an exotic beautiful little critter to see out in the wild!

Re your comments re the 55-300mm PLM - I agree with all of them. When I first got mine, with my (then) new KP I was really impressed. And as you say, it is SO light. But since acquiring the 150-450kmm, I seem to have abandoned my 55-300mm PLM. But NOT forgotten it - every time I find myself labouring with lugging around the monster 150-450mm, I think of the PLM. But the extra reach is so good. And I have to justify the cost of it by favouring it!!!!!
I stlll use my DA*60-250 with the 1.4 TC when Tess has it, but it's so much easier to carry and stabilize. The ermine of course was a total surprise. The 150-450 is a lens I would love to use, but it's one of about 5 expensive items I don't own, that I'd use on a regular basis. Thee days, using a lens like the 150-450 would mean other great lenses would be sitting home more often.
11-19-2021, 09:22 AM - 6 Likes   #37241
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've got my 150-450 back up and running after I broke it almost immediately after getting it. The break was the foot and the plate the foot mounts to that is on the lens and that little plate took a while to get (from Pentax via KEH). I'm happy to be able to use it again!

So I drove (pretty rough 4x4) up to this spot with my brother last night which was fun in itself. I was shooting the moon coming up using my fairly typical settings I use with a A* 300/4 or 70-200 for moon shots, bracketing and with an IR remote and noticed something. When I was looking through the viewfinder I could see visible vibrations after the mirror would go up and down. So I switched to mirror lockup mode and looking at the photos it seems to make a pretty big difference so I'll need to remember that in the future. Maybe I could also use some weight hanging from the tripod (which I don't usually bother with) or a beanbag too if I need to bracket like that in the future. I need to do some tests to see what my best solution would be.
So this shot is using the lockup function and it came out nice and sharp.

K-1ii & 150-450
11-19-2021, 09:27 AM   #37242
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I've got my 150-450 back up and running after I broke it almost immediately after getting it. The break was the foot and the plate the foot mounts to that is on the lens and that little plate took a while to get (from Pentax via KEH). I'm happy to be able to use it again!

So I drove (pretty rough 4x4) up to this spot with my brother last night which was fun in itself. I was shooting the moon coming up using my fairly typical settings I use with a A* 300/4 or 70-200 for moon shots, bracketing and with an IR remote and noticed something. When I was looking through the viewfinder I could see visible vibrations after the mirror would go up and down. So I switched to mirror lockup mode and looking at the photos it seems to make a pretty big difference so I'll need to remember that in the future. Maybe I could also use some weight hanging from the tripod (which I don't usually bother with) or a beanbag too if I need to bracket like that in the future. I need to do some tests to see what my best solution would be.
So this shot is using the lockup function and it came out nice and sharp.

K-1ii & 150-450
Excellent, the 150-450 is an awesome multipurpose lens for wildlife and landscapes! Do you use the electronic shutter as well mirror lock up? I'm trying to work on my long-lens landscape technique and work out a good system for myself when I have time to set up the tripod and all.
11-19-2021, 09:52 AM   #37243
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Excellent, the 150-450 is an awesome multipurpose lens for wildlife and landscapes! Do you use the electronic shutter as well mirror lock up? I'm trying to work on my long-lens landscape technique and work out a good system for myself when I have time to set up the tripod and all.
I haven't yet but I need to find my best technique for this beast and it might be another tool to help get maximum sharpness.
I'm also considering buying something like a Wimberley Arca Sidekick Ball to Gimbal Head Adapter or even just a traditional Gimbal head for increased stability over my Benro G3 ballhead (which is pretty nice but maybe not the right tool here).
11-19-2021, 02:50 PM - 2 Likes   #37244
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I haven't yet but I need to find my best technique for this beast and it might be another tool to help get maximum sharpness.
I'm also considering buying something like a Wimberley Arca Sidekick Ball to Gimbal Head Adapter or even just a traditional Gimbal head for increased stability over my Benro G3 ballhead (which is pretty nice but maybe not the right tool here).
The Jobu Jr is a really nice fit for the 150-450, but I can't say I'm experienced enough to offer insight into stability of that vs large ball head such as you're using now. However, I don't see the side-kick improving stability at all, because all you're doing is introducing another element into the system, still relying on the ball head for the stability and locking. That being said, fine composition may be much easier with that - I find it's much easier with a gimbal. For max stability, maybe look into a side-mount (but not ball head adapter one) gimbal?

Speaking of gimbals and such, it certainly isn't necessary for most 150-450 shots, I'm quite happy handheld. But it's nice to have to remain pointed at a certain spot without your arms dying:
11-19-2021, 03:21 PM   #37245
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
The Jobu Jr is a really nice fit for the 150-450, but I can't say I'm experienced enough to offer insight into stability of that vs large ball head such as you're using now. However, I don't see the side-kick improving stability at all, because all you're doing is introducing another element into the system, still relying on the ball head for the stability and locking. That being said, fine composition may be much easier with that - I find it's much easier with a gimbal. For max stability, maybe look into a side-mount (but not ball head adapter one) gimbal?

Speaking of gimbals and such, it certainly isn't necessary for most 150-450 shots, I'm quite happy handheld. But it's nice to have to remain pointed at a certain spot without your arms dying:
I like the look of the Side Kick because it looks like it would be a lot easier to carry and to put on or take off than a whole gimbal would be. And reviews are pretty positive. And the price looks pretty nice too. If I can avoid swapping tripod heads in the field I'd like to. But I need to research a little more and maybe find a video or two to demonstrate it in action. It looks like it would shift the center of gravity in a favorable way and that seems to be the main point of a gimbal.