12-03-2021, 08:59 AM   #37366
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
A great example of one of my favourite maxims,
“If your photographs aren’t good enough, you’re not close enough”
Robert Capa
That is one of the things I try and point out to the scouts when doing photography merit badge with them. The reverse can also be true if you have a strong enough subject where you can shoot it really wide.

12-03-2021, 10:02 AM - 6 Likes   #37367
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I thought you were going to say,

"That's why you use a zoom!"

It holds for both zooms and primes... I frequently shot wildlife at ~170mm with my DA*60-250, because walking in is better than standing back. Better to walk in and shoot with a shorter focal length than stay where you are and shoot 250mm.

DA* 60-250 @ 88mm

DA*60-250 @ 250mm

@118mm

The second one taken at 16:34:42
The first one taken at 16:34:16

26 seconds apart. For non zoom guys, do you want both images, or would you rather change lenses and miss one. Do you want to walk in with shorter lens for the 250mm shot?

The last question being a test of your sanity.
How crazy will you get to deny the advantages of zooms?

I'm always glad to give meeting someone's expectations shot.

I'm always happy to point out, if you don't shoot like I shoot, it's probably because you don't do what I do.
12-03-2021, 03:31 PM - 4 Likes   #37368
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It holds for both zooms and primes... I frequently shot wildlife at ~170mm with my DA*60-250, because walking in is better than standing back. Better to walk in and shoot with a shorter focal length than stay where you are and shoot 250mm.

DA* 60-250 @ 88mm

DA*60-250 @ 250mm

@118mm

26 seconds apart. For non zoom guys, do you want both images, or would you rather change lenses and miss one. Do you want to walk in with shorter lens for the 250mm shot?

I'm always happy to point out, if you don't shoot like I shoot, it's probably because you don't do what I do.
I would always recommend a zoom for general wildlife shooting. Heck, there's a reason even wealthy, hardcore enthusiasts with a megabuck prime often bring a zoom along, too.

That said, my Tamron 400/4 is an excellent lens and cost 1/6th the current price of the DFA 150-450... and the Tamron plays great with the Pentax A 1.4x-L and 2x-L converters. Having 560/5.6 and 800/8 at your disposal is pretty fun.

And when shooting in low light, as I often do, f/4 is very useful.

12-03-2021, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #37369
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
“If your photographs aren’t good enough, you’re not close enough”Robert Capa
Capa died aged 40 when he stepped on a landmine trying to get a perfect war shot. But packed a lot into his short life. Crazy brave. Jailed and beaten after demonstrating against a fascist government. Lots of famous war footage and stills. In the thick of the Spanish Civil War. Only civilian photographer on the beach on D-Day. Friendship with Hemingway, Steinbeck, Cartier-Bresson, Bogart. Lover of Elaine Justin and Ingrid Bergman. He sure practised what he preached about getting close to the action.

I frequently shot wildlife at ~170mm with my DA*60-250, because walking in is better than standing back. Better to walk in and shoot with a shorter focal length than stay where you are and shoot 250mm.
I've never had a bear encounter but if I did I doubt I would be game to get close enough to shoot at 60mm rather than 250mm ... a better shot, sure, but I'd feel like it might be my last. But then I don't know anything about bear behaviour, and you have a lifetime's experience Norm.

12-03-2021, 06:08 PM - 3 Likes   #37370
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I've never had a bear encounter but if I did I doubt I would be game to get close enough to shoot at 60mm rather than 250mm ... a better shot, sure, but I'd feel like it might be my last. But then I don't know anything about bear behaviour, and you have a lifetime's experience Norm.
I feel like most of the fauna in Australia is more dangerous than black bears

Black bears are often curious but usually conflict-avoidant. On numerous occasions I've been out in my yard or a field and found a bear just watching me. It's startling but also kind of cute.

As winter nears and hibernation time draws close, large males can be aggressive and dangerous. A few years ago a group of college students not too far away were dumb and careless and provoked a large male, who wound up eating one of them. Then the poor bear was killed by authorities for acting like a bear in his own home.

One time while traipsing through the woods I found this adorable fuzzy taking a nap. I snapped a few pics and then moved along, but kept a long distance eye on him to make sure he didn't seem ill or injured. After about 30 minutes he got up and walked away.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
12-03-2021, 08:26 PM - 9 Likes   #37371
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great story and pic @Luftluss
Yeah, even birds can kill you here: https://www.amazingaustralia.com.au/animals/cassowary-attacks.htm And occasionally the national symbol: Kangaroo attack: What do if you come face-to-face with a kangaroo And of course the spiders: Australian spiders: the 10 most dangerous - Australian Geographic But it's the fish and reptiles you really need to worry about. ;-) No way I'm going close to a Great White or a saltwater croc for a better shot.

Here's some of our deadly fauna. Drop dead cute anyway. KP + DA 55-300 PLM at 300mm.

Last edited by Des; 12-04-2021 at 04:09 PM.
12-04-2021, 03:45 AM - 1 Like   #37372
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Black bears are often curious but usually conflict-avoidant. On numerous occasions I've been out in my yard or a field and found a bear just watching me. It's startling but also kind of cute.

As winter nears and hibernation time draws close, large males can be aggressive and dangerous. A few years ago a group of college students not too far away were dumb and careless and provoked a large male, who wound up eating one of them. Then the poor bear was killed by authorities for acting like a bear in his own home.

One time while traipsing through the woods I found this adorable fuzzy taking a nap. I snapped a few pics and then moved along, but kept a long distance eye on him to make sure he didn't seem ill or injured. After about 30 minutes he got up and walked away.
Great story telling, and a great shot!!

12-04-2021, 03:50 AM   #37373
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great story and pic @Luftluss

Yeah, even birds can kill you here: https://www.amazingaustralia.com.au/animals/cassowary-attacks.htm And occasionally the national symbol: Kangaroo attack: What do if you come face-to-face with a kangaroo And of course the spiders: Australian spiders: the 10 most dangerous - Australian Geographic But it's the fish and reptiles you really need to worry about. ;-) No way I'm going close to a Great White or a saltwater croc for a better shot.

Here some of our deadly fauna. Drop dead cute anyway. KP + DA 55-300 PLM at 300mm.
Great comments there Des! The old stonefish and blue box jellyfish are not for playing with. Then again, some of our reptiles ditto.

Anyway, great shot of Mom and Baby Koala!
12-04-2021, 04:09 AM - 1 Like   #37374
Pentaxian

I frequently shot wildlife
good series of shots
interesting film:
12-04-2021, 04:46 AM   #37375
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

DA* 60-250 @ 88mm

DA*60-250 @ 250mm

@118mm

These are some great shots, Norm! Now I wonder what is more brave: to share these in the 300mm+ thread or to get so close to that bear? I guess that with a lifetime experience around these animals, it can be done safely, but I wouldn't feel comfortable at all.
12-04-2021, 07:19 AM - 9 Likes   #37376
Veteran Member

I normally shoot with a Sony a9 and 200-600mm these days but I managed to get hold of a Sigma 500mm APO DG EX f/4.5 the other day for a reasonable price so I have been using it with my K-1. It nearly went back as the pictures were a bit on the soft side to begin when compared to my 150-450mm with but after a bit of focus adjustment it seems spot on now. Enjoying my K-1 again, despite it being in a totally different league focus wise compared to the Sony.

IMGP5936
by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

IMGP6069

IMGP5877
12-04-2021, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #37377
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
I normally shoot with a Sony a9 and 200-600mm these days but I managed to get hold of a Sigma 500mm APO DG EX f/4.5 the other day for a reasonable price so I have been using it with my K-1. It nearly went back as the pictures were a bit on the soft side to begin when compared to my 150-450mm with but after a bit of focus adjustment it seems spot on now. Enjoying my K-1 again, despite it being in a totally different league focus wise compared to the Sony.

IMGP5936

IMGP6069

IMGP5877
Nice Pictures, worth the effort with the K1 and the Sigma. Love the colorful bird.
12-04-2021, 08:55 AM   #37378
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here some of our deadly fauna. Drop dead cute anyway. KP + DA 55-300 PLM at 300mm.
That's soooo cute!
12-04-2021, 09:22 AM   #37379
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Martin Stu Quote
good series of shots
interesting film: The Man Who Lives With Bears - YouTube
Better than Timothy Treadwell...
12-04-2021, 10:09 AM - 5 Likes   #37380
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Still waiting for my DA560 to come back from the wobbly barrel repair (warranty job) so I am back using my Sigma APO 70-200/2.8 EX and 2X TC

A new bird for me, after years of walking in this park with the dogs and never seeing an owl even though others claim them all the time.

Getting focus was a pain through the branches. This is a full frame on the K5