09-18-2012, 06:39 PM   #4441
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Downy

09-18-2012, 07:36 PM   #4442
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Oops - forgot to get the card out of her camera......I'll take a look see......
Ha ha - you're for it now ! Very interesting catch - migration is a great time and can throw up amazing sightings.

I have had a Blue & White Flycatcher and a Black Naped Oriole in my back garden this week (first sightings in 10 years in this house) ! We are out every weekend now, further up the coast hundreds of raptors of every hue have been logged heading South so we have everything crossed for this Saturday !

Last edited by Frogfish; 09-18-2012 at 08:12 PM.
09-18-2012, 08:03 PM   #4443
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
migration is a great time and can throw up amazing sightings.
Yep, we're getting into prime time.
09-18-2012, 08:20 PM   #4444
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Yep, we're getting into prime time.
Yes - one day last spring my wife caught these exotic-to-us ducks on the creek - only there for an hour or so then gone. We had never seen them before, or since. Another spring migration. After seeing these, I am keeping a more watchful eye on the creek as we might get some more travelers in the next couple days.

I haven't even tried to identify these guys yet:

Last edited by photolady95; 04-17-2016 at 01:25 AM.
09-18-2012, 09:09 PM   #4445

Stormtech,

Top photo looks like pair of Hooded Mergansers (male at top), and the green headed duck in the lower photo is a male
Shoveler.I can't make out the other.

Way to "grab and go".

JB
09-18-2012, 10:20 PM   #4446
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Take-5-JB Quote
Stormtech,

Top photo looks like pair of Hooded Mergansers (male at top), and the green headed duck in the lower photo is a male
Shoveler.I can't make out the other.

Way to "grab and go".

JB
Thanks for the info! I am assuming in the second pic the other would be the female Shoveler.

We're a bit better prepared this season with some faster glass and learning our stealth technique but still difficult even @ 300mm.
09-19-2012, 03:36 AM   #4447
Veteran Member

A few more Varied Tits shots can be found here (I have over 1,500 shots to process from my birding last Sat/Sun)

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/110876...ml#post2105476

09-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #4448
Veteran Member

Well, our rare Cormorant was back today. Funny because I sat down by the creek yesterday with the Tammy 300 2.8 on tripod most of the day and I never saw him. This afternoon we heard some loud splashing in the water, and found him just getting out of the water to dry himself. It was really a treat to see this - we did some research on the Cormorant and saw where he will get out of the water and dry his wings since his feathers aren't waterproof like a duck's and needs to get the water out once in a while.

I really hate to post these pics since the quality is bad because of the distance and heavy cropping, but I am so happy to see this guy again. This time he was over 125 yards away, and all I have is 300mm to work with. Hopefully that will change tomorrow with a new incoming lens...... of course I won't see him again once I have a longer lens........

And a question for those familiar with the Cormorant - what type of predators would come after this bird? While he was sunning/drying himself, a Red-tailed Hawk was nearby, and every time the Hawk screeched, the Cormorant would look around quite nervously.

Last edited by photolady95; 04-17-2016 at 01:27 AM.
09-20-2012, 06:34 PM   #4449
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

of course I won't see him again once I have a longer lens........
That's usually the way it works but I hope you get a break. That's pretty nice output from the Tamron, btw, (but it is too short.)
09-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #4450
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
That's usually the way it works but I hope you get a break. That's pretty nice output from the Tamron, btw, (but it is too short.)

Actually these are with the FA* 300 4.5 again (hand held). I sat down there most of the day yesterday with the Tammy on the tripod and never saw him. Today was just like the other day when we saw him - already had the FA on the camera and quickly grabbed it and headed down.
09-20-2012, 07:23 PM   #4451
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes - one day last spring my wife caught these exotic-to-us ducks on the creek - only there for an hour or so then gone. We had never seen them before, or since. Another spring migration. After seeing these, I am keeping a more watchful eye on the creek as we might get some more travelers in the next couple days.

I haven't even tried to identify these guys yet:

Just in case no one answered your query:

1. Hooded mergansers - couple
2. Northern shoveler, the larger one ... no idea about the smaller one at the bottom.

JP

P.S.: good shots! Just saw that someone did ID the birds ... sorry.

Last edited by jpzk; 09-20-2012 at 07:40 PM.
09-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #4452
Veteran Member

Thanks jpzk - it's actually quite phenomenal to me to have seen all these exotic-to-us ducks all in one day, and only for a couple hours. We are keeping a close eye on the creek right now since it seems we are getting into the prime migration season. And the Cormorant the past couple days is certainly an extra treat!

I am hoping a longer lens is going to help as most of the time I am 100+ yards away from the action.
09-20-2012, 08:15 PM   #4453
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am hoping a longer lens is going to help as most of the time I am 100+ yards away from the action.
A portable ground blind's a whole lot cheaper than long glass, Stan.
09-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #4454
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
A portable ground blind's a whole lot cheaper than long glass, Stan.
True, and a very good suggestion, but where I need to be is normally quite swampy and down a pretty steep bank, and most times lately I just can't get down there.
09-20-2012, 08:32 PM   #4455
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Just in case no one answered your query:

1. Hooded mergansers - couple
2. Northern shoveler, the larger one ... no idea about the smaller one at the bottom.

JP

P.S.: good shots! Just saw that someone did ID the birds ... sorry.
I agree that is definitely not a female shoveler and I have no idea what it is either.
« DA* Club | - »