Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2010, 04:14 AM   #526
Veteran Member

That Eurasian Jay is about perfect - it goes beyond just being technically correct.

Very well done.

05-08-2010, 12:02 PM   #527
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
kacansas03: Beautiful shot Jewelltrail! I am envious of that nice set up you have. I am still waiting for sunshine to last long enough for me to set up and take some shots. I have an aversion to getting my equipment rained on or having my tripod blown over by 50 mph winds. Ah, the plains states!
Hey, thanks for your kinds words, but no need for being envious. For very little $$ you can put one together too. I hope the weather improves for you.
05-08-2010, 12:26 PM   #528
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Hey, thanks for your kinds words, but no need for being envious. For very little $$ you can put one together too. I hope the weather improves for you.
I did price the components that you used and it is out of reach for me at this time. That has more to do with my budget than the prices although they seem to be higher than I expected. However the 6X7 lenses are a lot less expensive than say T-mount, M42 screw mount or high quality SP Tamron Adaptall lenses. Almost all the AF lenses that are close or over 300mm are out of reach. I could probably spend up to $150 but I also want to get a wider angle setup than the 18 to 55 kit lens. Since I have a selection of long lenses I will probably concentrate on the wide stuff. That is also hard to find in budget.
I think I am most envious of your have good light for the photo. I just read our forecast for the week and if I pray I might get sun about a week from now. In between we will have freezing temps, solid clouds except at night and rain or snow! I hate it when it snows and freezes in May here in MN. Hurts the plants so much not to mention the crops. I decided i will try to take come indoor shots of the lenses themselves and start with posting those today or tomorrow.
05-09-2010, 06:56 PM   #529
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
First Viv 500 @ f6.3(wide open),second @ f8, third @ f11, fourth @ f16. I didn't expect any others to come out what with the breeze and all but which one is the best??
They look the same, and a bit dark. I'd try a different subject.

05-09-2010, 07:20 PM   #530
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
They look the same, and a bit dark. I'd try a different subject.
Yes, quite right. I did the best I could given the conditions today. In a week or more I may have another day with sun. If the forecast is stable maybe I can pack up and haul everything to a better location with a long distance view.
05-09-2010, 08:03 PM   #531
Veteran Member

For a little comic relief...

Last year bought my 9 year old great niece a little astro scope for $54.95 I think it was from Walmart.

Anyway she was here this weekend with her little scope. It was overcast so we couldn't look at the night sky. This afternoon connected it to the camera to see what it could do on the feeder birds.

All it says on it is made in Vietnam 90X. Looks to me to be about a 500mm with an objective of about 70mm.

This is the best of the lot with a bit of PP. ISO 1600 1/80 sec. About 25 feet away.

Canon eat your heart out.

Last edited by wildman; 05-15-2010 at 06:59 AM.
05-10-2010, 03:26 AM   #532
Veteran Member

Tair 300 A and some grass parrots.
[IMGWIDELEFT]http://www.xjgarage.org/photos/may2010/slides/PICT3438.JPG[/IMGWIDELEFT]
[IMGWIDELEFT]http://www.xjgarage.org/photos/may2010/slides/PICT3445.JPG[/IMGWIDELEFT]
05-10-2010, 03:45 AM   #533
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Last year bought my 9 year old great niece a little astro scope for $54.95 I think it was from Walmart.

Anyway she was here this weekend with her little scope. It was overcast so we couldn't look at the night sky. This afternoon connected it to the camera to see what it could do on the feeder birds.

All it says on it is made in Vietnam 90X. Looks to me to be about a 500mm with an objective of about 70mm.

This is the best of the lot with a bit of PP. ISO 1600 1/80 sec. About 25 feet away.

Canon eat your heart out.
I can't think of a more effective demonstration of the relative importance of gear vs. skill. I'm here with my big expensive lenses snacking on my heart as well.

05-10-2010, 04:31 AM   #534
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I can't think of a more effective demonstration of the relative importance of gear vs. skill. I'm here with my big expensive lenses snacking on my heart as well.

I was thinking the same thing Dave. I wonder what he could do with a Coke bottle bottom? Seriously, virtually any lens can produc great images in the right hands.

Tom G
05-10-2010, 05:43 AM   #535
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
I was thinking the same thing Dave. I wonder what he could do with a Coke bottle bottom? Seriously, virtually any lens can produc great images in the right hands.

Tom G
It does have it's issues;

Focus mechanism is very light duty - with the k20 plus extension tubes plus battery pack it was at it's limits. As it was I think it was out of collimation a bit. If I used it much that way I think the focus mechanism would eventually fail.

It's a two element achromatic so it's prone to CA. Thankfully it was a soft over-cast day so CA wasn't too bad. Got rid of most of it in PP.

Tried it with a barlow (TC) and it was pretty muddy. This shot was at prime focus.

Tried it visually with the included 10mm EP and it was ok but nothing special. Tried it with my 9mm TMB planetary EP and both contrast and resolution was obviously better. That EP cost 4X what the scope cost however. So I think the basic objectives are ok but all the rest is pretty marginal as you would expect at this price.

Like most consumer level optics these days the glass was better than ever but built quality and QC was not so good.

Last edited by wildman; 05-10-2010 at 06:01 AM.
05-10-2010, 07:28 PM   #536
Pentaxian

Haven't seen any love for the FA 80-320 in the thread to date. IMO this is a much under rated lens, it gets you out to 300mm+ at a pretty reasonable price with acceptable results (although I have to admit the results are better if you don't rack it right out at the long end and if you stop down a bit).

Some samples

This one was shot at 260mm so you might have to pull my 300mm+ club membership

Lightly cropped

100% crop

Uncropped

100% crop
05-11-2010, 09:38 AM   #537
Veteran Member

Really sharp with nice color don't get much better than that.
Zooms have really gotten better since the bad old days.
05-13-2010, 07:59 AM   #538

I've been trying to catch this little guy for three weeks so I could contribute a pic.
Lens is Pentax "A" 400mm5.6. Shot was F8, ISO 100, 1/90.

05-13-2010, 08:33 AM   #539
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by opfor Quote
I've been trying to catch this little guy for three weeks so I could contribute a pic.
Lens is Pentax "A" 400mm5.6. Shot was F8, ISO 100, 1/90.
Nice! Somehow I imagine him thinking, "Man, it's a long way down!"
Pretty bird--what is it?
05-13-2010, 09:41 AM   #540
Pentaxian

I was wondering the same thing Dave.

In any case the nest is blocking the ventilation in the house. I've had that problem before.

Nice shot.

Tom G