Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2009, 08:29 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice, nice hummer shots...

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
Thanks guys! Luckily the poop is very dry...

The bokeh on the FA* 300/2.8 is very, very good, no question! Here are a few more... no TC in these shots either.

Bewick's Wren:

Not much cropping, and an intentional setup on this hummer shot:

Cheers,
Marc
Don't count yourself short, man - even setup, those are HARD to do, and you nailed them. Beautiful job. Didn't read the exif, but did you use flash? And you must have a MOTHER of a tripod...

Cheers,
Cameron

04-09-2009, 12:50 AM - 1 Like   #62
Veteran Member

May I join this club, please? Late to this club but an exccstatic owner of a F* 300 4.5 complete with triipod collar and original Pentax case since late 2006. I rememnber wishing then for a stable of "!" lenses, the ! being a grading given by J Colwell in his invaluable splosdb database. Well this was my first "!" lens, certainly not the last, but still my favourite. One shot from this lens of my better half left me with a license to pursue my ! grade lens collection dream, no questions asked. LOL

Now for the customary shot to prove that I actually use this lens sometimes, not just drool over it.

Last edited by selar; 04-09-2009 at 12:56 AM.
04-09-2009, 05:31 AM - 1 Like   #63
Veteran Member

Well heres a picture of my new purchase as taken by the seller (Camera not included).
Also includes a custom filter he had especially made for it.

It is apparently on its way as I type ....

04-09-2009, 09:27 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Nice lens set, man!

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
Well heres a picture of my new purchase as taken by the seller (Camera not included).

That 1.7 AF converter would be GREAT with that lens. Really nice set - what did you pay for it, now that the deal is locked up?

Cheers,
Cameron

04-09-2009, 12:00 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
That 1.7 AF converter would be GREAT with that lens. Really nice set - what did you pay for it, now that the deal is locked up?

Cheers,
Cameron
I am looking forward to trying it with the 1.7x I have on loan, I am currently looking for one myself but they are becoming very rare.
I actually got my Pentax F* 300mm f4.5 off the same seller.

Not saying how much until it arrives safe and sound .. don't want to jinx it
04-09-2009, 05:31 PM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
Don't count yourself short, man - even setup, those are HARD to do, and you nailed them. Beautiful job. Didn't read the exif, but did you use flash? And you must have a MOTHER of a tripod...

Cheers,
Cameron
Thank you Cameron - much appreciated! Those came from a day I took ~50 some shots, and I came away with 20-30 really nice ones.

My setup was embarrassing at the time: a very cheap carbon fiber tripod with a $65 Bogen/Manfrotto 804RC2 Pan Tilt Head. My new tripod is a Giottos MT9360 - ~$155, yet rated for 17 pounds. I wanted solid, but not a problem if it ever was damaged/lost, etc. I used natural lighting and shutter speeds of 1/500 sec. The sun is the specular highlight in the bird's eyes. The bottom image is the bokeh of the garden plants and grass.

It's all about technique and philosophy - mine is very old school, yet I always remain open to new ideas. I shoot lower shutter speeds than most recommend! Would you believe 1/90 of a second, reasonably sharp and taken just at sunset (I call it "breaking the rules"... in many ways).

Regards,
Marc
04-09-2009, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FA* 300/2.8 with 1.7 AF TC

It's a great combination in good lighting conditions!

PENTAX K20D (my "loaner")
1/4000
F/6.3
ISO 800
Photo Dimensions 4672 x 2494

K10D:

PENTAX K10D
1/350 sec.
F/6.7
ISO 200
Photo Dimensions 3544 x 2408

Now on to the lens details... first, in "bling" mode:

Now in it's regular work outfit - a nice neoprene LensCoat in RealTree Max4 HD (bought the Sigma 300/2.8 and it's just fine):

Cheers,
Marc

04-10-2009, 06:02 AM   #68
Veteran Member

That is one gorgous looking lens,there is no way I could justify the FA* version though ... to be honest my wife doesnt even know the metal cased monstrosity is on its way.

However she does know about the Bigma I commited myself to before Xmas which I was told last night that the seller is ready to get rid of it and they will be down Monday to do the deal .....

Are the strap clips on the mount standard on the FA*?
04-10-2009, 09:32 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Beautiful...

Cheers,
Marc
Great shots, and what a lens, man. Too bad Pentax doesn't make any 'Pro' stuff, eh?

If only their cameras were as great as their lenses, we'd be happening.

Cheers,
Cameron
04-10-2009, 09:38 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Old Skool is cool...

I'm still an F128 buff from way back ;>) I remember literally being brought to tears upon seeing my first real Ansel Adams print in San Francisco - the depth and clarity of his prints were just startling, the blacks were so deep and yet retained the finest details, and the depth of field was seemingly infinite - you could look into the vanishing point in his images. I still strive towards his ideals and towards the standard he set.

And he was a musician, too.

Cheers,
Cameron

Thank you Cameron - much appreciated! Those came from a day I took ~50 some shots, and I came away with 20-30 really nice ones.

My setup was embarrassing at the time: a very cheap carbon fiber tripod with a $65 Bogen/Manfrotto 804RC2 Pan Tilt Head. My new tripod is a Giottos MT9360 - ~$155, yet rated for 17 pounds. I wanted solid, but not a problem if it ever was damaged/lost, etc. I used natural lighting and shutter speeds of 1/500 sec. The sun is the specular highlight in the bird's eyes. The bottom image is the bokeh of the garden plants and grass.

It's all about technique and philosophy - mine is very old school, yet I always remain open to new ideas. I shoot lower shutter speeds than most recommend! Would you believe 1/90 of a second, reasonably sharp and taken just at sunset (I call it "breaking the rules"... in many ways).

Regards,
Marc
04-10-2009, 12:00 PM   #71
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just aquired this lens.

Mind you, I traded in a Tamron 60B 300mm f/2.8 to help fund this lens.

I plan on posting more substantive impressions later, but for now, let me just say: I'm shocked at the size of this lens. Stupefied would be more correct. That's a 12oz can -- not a tall-boy. Amazing.

And I did some cursory trials with the 1.7x F AF, and the autofocus was precise in overcast and raining conditions.
04-10-2009, 01:57 PM   #72

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote

It looks great! congratulations!

Now in it's regular work outfit - a nice neoprene LensCoat in RealTree Max4 HD (bought the Sigma 300/2.8 and it's just fine):

Cheers,
Marc
Im totally impressed by the quality of your pictures...

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
Mind you, I traded in a Tamron 60B 300mm f/2.8 to help fund this lens.

I plan on posting more substantive impressions later, but for now, let me just say: I'm shocked at the size of this lens. Stupefied would be more correct. That's a 12oz can -- not a tall-boy. Amazing.

And I did some cursory trials with the 1.7x F AF, and the autofocus was precise in overcast and raining conditions.
Congratulations... I will be waiting for your impressions once you start shooting with it.
04-10-2009, 01:59 PM   #73

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
May I join this club, please? Late to this club but an exccstatic owner of a F* 300 4.5 complete with triipod collar and original Pentax case since late 2006. I rememnber wishing then for a stable of "!" lenses, the ! being a grading given by J Colwell in his invaluable splosdb database. Well this was my first "!" lens, certainly not the last, but still my favourite. One shot from this lens of my better half left me with a license to pursue my ! grade lens collection dream, no questions asked. LOL

Now for the customary shot to prove that I actually use this lens sometimes, not just drool over it.
Of course you can join!! It is good to know more people having these wonderful lenses. Nice shot!
04-10-2009, 09:02 PM - 1 Like   #74
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, I too have finally acquired this lens, F* 300/4.5. Received it yesterday (along with an A* 300/4) and took them both out today to try them out. I was definitely impressed with the F* 300, super sharp right from f4.5 and very nice bokeh. The A* will require more practice on my part as it requires MF and it doesn't really balance that great on my plain K200D. Anyways, enough about that A*. Here a shot of the lens and a few shots I got today at a nearby lake park. Common animals, I know, but easiest to photograph when you get a new tele!

The handling of this lens is top notch (except maybe for the fact that you need to disable AF on the body before you can MF...but OK), and it feels great for both MF and AF. I love that it has virtually no CA or PF, which is great for a tele as such.

1. Lens!

2. beautiful duck, f4.5

3. Does pretty well at close focus, f4.5

4. Crazy bird, f4.5

5. Reaching out, f4.5

6. Far off strangers. with SMC 1.7x AF TC for a cumulative 510mm f8 (wide open)...still awesome!
04-11-2009, 03:57 AM - 2 Likes   #75
Veteran Member

Well it arrived, all checked over .. looks good.
A couple of marks here and there on the body but considering it was used by a pro doing the racing circuit I have to say not bad at all.

Bloody heavy though ...

Anyway, price paid ... for the lens, custom filter and both teleconverters converted to $ = $1500.00