Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91906 Likes Search this Thread
07-27-2010, 11:27 AM   #796
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Spyder Quote
I'll echo what others have said, that's a mightily impressive collection you have CarbonR! Out of curiosity how long has it taken you to find all that?

I would probably feel a lot more jealous than I actually do if I hadn't literally just walked in the door with a new-to-me K500/4.5. Since I understand it's basically identical to the Takumar version you have, any tips you'd care to share?
When I bought my K100D, 3 years ago (16/07/10), I didn't know what a reflex is. I bought my first Takumar lens (was a Super Takumar 35/3.5 V1) in march 2008.

I present the Takumar (same optical formula than the K) here : Takumar 500/4.5 - Takumar - The eyes of the Spotmatic

07-27-2010, 12:50 PM   #797
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Enclosed a couple of shots (out of some 800) from my trip into the wilderness last week. Both with a K7+Sigma 500/4,5.
I think this lens is not receiving the attention it deserves, especially in the absense of long fast glass in the current Pentax range.

Last edited by PePe; 10-03-2011 at 01:08 PM.
07-27-2010, 01:12 PM   #798
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CarbonR Quote
I present the Takumar (same optical formula than the K) here : Takumar 500/4.5 - Takumar - The eyes of the Spotmatic
Thanks! I think I got the gist of what you were saying despite Google translate's best efforts (my favourite bit is "Weighing a result, it is clear that for use of hands, it will not be physically fragile").

Now I'm just hoping the weather clears up enough for me to actually go out and use it, even just for some moon shots so I can work out the 'new toy' feeling. Of course knowing my luck it's going to rain every day I'm able to go out just to spite me. Although before that I guess I have to work out how I'm actually going to carry it around. Although I got the leather hard case with the lens (which was a nice surprise since it was never mentioned) I'm not sure it's really the best thing for hour plus walks.
07-27-2010, 08:03 PM   #799
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spyder Quote
I'll echo what others have said, that's a mightily impressive collection you have CarbonR! Out of curiosity how long has it taken you to find all that?

I would probably feel a lot more jealous than I actually do if I hadn't literally just walked in the door with a new-to-me K500/4.5. Since I understand it's basically identical to the Takumar version you have, any tips you'd care to share?
I had the k500 f4.5 for a while and the main tip is make sure the rear bayonette mount (removeable for using filters) is mounted correctly and tight or your camera could fall off.

07-28-2010, 12:55 AM   #800
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PePe Quote
Enclosed a couple of shots (out of some 800) from my trip into the wilderness last week. Both with a K7+Sigma 500/4,5.
I think this lens is not receiving the attention it deserves, especially in the absense of long fast glass in the current Pentax range.
Nice shots! Did you just run into a bear or was this arranged? Attaching pics directly to the forum kills a lot of detail, so it'd be nice to see these not so much compressed.

Last edited by ovim; 07-28-2010 at 02:52 AM.
07-28-2010, 03:38 AM   #801
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ovim Quote
Nice shots! Did you just run into a bear or was this arranged? Attaching pics directly to the forum kills a lot of detail, so it'd be nice to see these not so much compressed.
I was shooting from a hide, so it was not entirely unexpected. However, the bears are wild and free to do whatever their want.
Shrunk-down pictures sure lose much of their details and tones! I am processing the pictures right now. Once I have them sorted out, I will add some of them to my picture gallery on this forum.
07-30-2010, 12:34 AM   #802
Site Supporter

Worthwhile at 952mm or just stick with 400-800mm?

I guess all of us at one time or another stacked multiple TCs just to make sure the IQ was as bad as we read. But this time I used my A*400/2.8 plus the A1.4xL and AF1.7xF because the A1.4xL does not seem to degrade the shot under normal viewing conditions. Seeing a GBH high in a tree about 55m away I took a couple shots not expecting much. To my surprise, the unPP'ed (is that now a word?) shot looked far better than I expected. So I downloaded the trial of LR3 to do recovery of the overexposed bill and a little clarity and sharpness. Did not know how to crop (never used LR before) so I exported and cropped in PE8 to 50%. It looks slightly better than a similar shot without the A1.4xL that is sized the same.

Hmmmm....is it really possible to get decent shots with this combo or was it just beginners luck? Yes, DOF stupidly shallow even at 55m. Anyone else tried this combo?

Added original for better review. note sharpness in camera turned down 2 clicks.

Last edited by imtheguy; 07-30-2010 at 01:52 AM. Reason: EDIT - add original
07-30-2010, 01:30 AM   #803
Veteran Member

Just got myself a Super Tak 300mm lens. I am rather pleased with it and it handles very well.
Here is one of my first shots with it.

07-30-2010, 02:39 AM   #804
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
I guess all of us at one time or another stacked multiple TCs just to make sure the IQ was as bad as we read. But this time I used my A*400/2.8 plus the A1.4xL and AF1.7xF because the A1.4xL does not seem to degrade the shot under normal viewing conditions. Seeing a GBH high in a tree about 55m away I took a couple shots not expecting much. To my surprise, the unPP'ed (is that now a word?) shot looked far better than I expected. So I downloaded the trial of LR3 to do recovery of the overexposed bill and a little clarity and sharpness. Did not know how to crop (never used LR before) so I exported and cropped in PE8 to 50%. It looks slightly better than a similar shot without the A1.4xL that is sized the same.

Hmmmm....is it really possible to get decent shots with this combo or was it just beginners luck? Yes, DOF stupidly shallow even at 55m. Anyone else tried this combo?

Added original for better review. note sharpness in camera turned down 2 clicks.
That looks really good Lee!
The bokeh is even not too bad considering 2 TC's stacked.
07-30-2010, 02:43 AM   #805
Veteran Member

While searching for a lens beyond 300mm, I hesitated to get the Sigma 500/4.5. I was a bit discouraged by the shop as they told me, the traditional AF will be too slow for such a lens, I should better wait and see if a HSM version is brought out on the market. The size and weight did also refrain me, as I will be mostly using it while on travel.

I finally found a FA*400/5.6:

07-30-2010, 04:43 AM   #806
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
I had the k500 f4.5 for a while and the main tip is make sure the rear bayonette mount (removeable for using filters) is mounted correctly and tight or your camera could fall off.
That sounds like you speak from experience.
The whole assembly screws in quite tightly, so other than some experimentation to see if it's one of those lenses that was designed in the expectation of a filter being installed I'll just screw it up tightly and leave it.

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Hmmmm....is it really possible to get decent shots with this combo or was it just beginners luck?
I think you've answered your own question there! The results are certainly good enough to warrant giving it a try when the situation calls for it.

QuoteOriginally posted by tcom Quote
While searching for a lens beyond 300mm, I hesitated to get the Sigma 500/4.5. I was a bit discouraged by the shop as they told me, the traditional AF will be too slow for such a lens, I should better wait and see if a HSM version is brought out on the market. The size and weight did also refrain me, as I will be mostly using it while on travel.

I finally found a FA*400/5.6:
Wow, great shots! Looks like that choice is definitely working out for you (and no doubt your shoulders thank you for not having to carry so much weight around all the time).

Personally I can only see Sigma releasing a HSM version of the 500/4.5 in K mount when they introduce an updated version of the lens, and who knows when that might be.
07-30-2010, 06:21 AM   #807
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tcom Quote
I find such comments about AF speed really surprising. My experience of Pentax and Nikon screw drive systems is that the main benefit of SDM/HSM is silent operation. In terms of speed there is very little difference - if any at all. Actually the only AF-related complaints I have heard about this lens are about compatibility with Canon bodies. And the Canon mount version has HSM !
This is also in line with the test reports I have seen about this lens.
I cannot help questioning whether the salesman really knew what he was talking about.
Size and weight are obvious drawbacks of a fast 500mm lens. Whether one needs the speed, and is willing to accept these penalties, is something everyone has to judge by himself.
07-30-2010, 04:08 PM   #808
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm really impressed, Lee! I've resisted the temptation to stack (to date) but you've convinced me it's a viable option if there's sufficient light.

And what can I say, Tcom? Those are beautiful photos and so sharp!
07-30-2010, 07:35 PM   #809
Veteran Member

Been stuck at the house. So I took some pics of the backyard flower bed from the deck. Not so bad. Stayed in the shade with a glass of iced tea and watched the creatures come and go. Bright daylight - not my favorite light but there you are.

About 100mm of extension to bring focus close. 560mm at prime focus.
All are cropped a bit.

Last edited by wildman; 08-08-2010 at 03:37 AM.
07-30-2010, 07:46 PM   #810
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Stayed in the shade with a glass of iced tea and watched the creatures come and go
That's the ticket and they're very nice The first has a very special quality to it--just lovely!