Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2013, 08:49 AM   #8641
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow, absolutely stunning, frogfish, your post and mine must have crossed each other...
I do love the colours - which 600mm was that?

Angus

08-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #8642
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Page Not Found
Thanks Dave - it works now !
08-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #8643
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Greyser Quote
Wow, Kevin, what are the colors!
Gorgeous birds aren't they. More to come with the Stork Billed, Blue Eared and Collared Kingfishers when I get a chance to process them (100GB to sift through) !

A big part of going to Borneo was to shoot some of their amazingly colourful birds (Trogons, Barbets, Broadbills, Malkohas and Kingfishers especially). I wasn't that successful but I learnt a lot about shooting in very tough conditions.

Last edited by Frogfish; 08-03-2013 at 09:26 AM.
08-03-2013, 09:22 AM   #8644
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by angus Quote
Wow, absolutely stunning, frogfish, your post and mine must have crossed each other...
I do love the colours - which 600mm was that?

Angus
Thanks Angus. I cheat - the guys on here let me post Nikon shots (300/2.8 VRII with the TC20EIII) as a former Pentaxian

That's great detail you got out of 1,200mm !! I'd kill for that reach

08-03-2013, 11:14 AM   #8645
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Gorgeous birds aren't they. More to come with the Stork Billed, Blue Eared and Collared Kingfishers when I get a chance to process them (100GB to sift through) !

A big part of going to Borneo was to shoot some of their amazingly colourful birds (Trogons, Barbets, Broadbills, Malkohas and Kingfishers especially). I wasn't that successful but I learnt a lot about shooting in very tough conditions.
Nice series Frogfish, the kingfisher looks like Oriental Dwark KF aka Black Backed KF.

08-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #8646
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Introduction & Days 1 & 2 of my recent Sabah, Borneo Trip Report
I suspect I'm not the only one here that's insanely envious.
08-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #8647
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At least you can say that, I'm still in denial.

A boat party on a beach about a Km away from us.... A-400

08-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #8648

Rain-forest photography / birding is the toughest I've yet encountered ! With trees up to nearly 90m high (almost 300ft) and with very little light penetrating the canopy it makes both very difficult, especially shooting canopy/sub-canopy feeders ! The Bornean Rain-Forest is amongst the oldest in the world (along with both the Tasman Negara, Malaysia and North Queensland, Australia), all more than 120 million years older than the young whipper-snapper of the 10 million yrs old Amazon.

#3 below is a perfect example of what shooting in Rain-Forest conditions can do to your shots

#1 : ISO 800 - f5.6 - 1/250 sec - 600mm (flash used)
#2 : ISO 800 - f6.3 - 1/320 sec - 600mm (flash used)
#3 : ISO 3,200 - f5.6 - 1/50 sec - 600mm (no flash)
#4 : ISO 3,600 - f5.6 - 1/200 sec - 600mm (no flash)
#5 : ISO 900 - f5.6 - 1/200 sec - 600mm (no flash)

Oriental Pygmy Kingfisher (actual size on most screens)

Oriental Pygmy Kingfisher

Oriental Pygmy Kingfisher

Chestnut-Breasted Malkoha (M)

Chestnut-Breasted Malkoha (F)

Introduction & Days 1 & 2 of my recent Sabah, Borneo Trip Report is now up here :

Sabah, Borneo : July 2013 - BirdForum
Frogfish,

Appears the KF in the first photo has a parasite on his right wing. Life is tough in the jungle. All kinds of things want to eat you.

JB
08-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #8649
Veteran Member

...I learnt a lot about shooting in very tough conditions.
Kevin, would you please elaborate on this. I've been to Penang, Malaysia a few times for business. Shooting conditions are tough: overcast, almost 100% humidity, haze, etc. However, I never been to Borneo. What did you learn?
08-03-2013, 03:06 PM   #8650
Veteran Member

Beautiful birds Kevin and Ken..
08-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #8651
Veteran Member

GHB from today...
08-03-2013, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #8652
Veteran Member

Northern Mockingbird

when singing around, especially at night, this bird reminds me Nightingales from my youth. Northern Mockingbird is almost unknown in Europe, the same way as Nightingales are not well known in Northern America.
There are a few quotes from Wiki:

A 2009 study showed that the bird was able to recognize individual humans, particularly noting those who had previously been intruders or threats. Also birds recognize their breeding spots and return to areas in which they had greatest success in previous years. Urban birds are more likely to demonstrate this behavior.
Northern Mockingbirds are socially monogamous.
Both the male and female are involved in the nest building. The male does most of the work, while the female perches on the shrub or tree where the nest is being built to watch for predators.
The birds aggressively defend their nests and surrounding areas against other birds and animals. When a predator is persistent, mockingbirds that are summoned by distinct calls from neighboring territories may join the attack. Other birds may gather to watch as the mockingbirds harass the intruder. In addition to harassing domestic cats and dogs...

The bird is not rare at all. However, it is not really easy to get a decent shot of it. Mockingbird is smart, but aggressive and skittishly quick at the same time. You see them often, but can't make closer when you wish. Despite the fact that I've been hosting the mockingbird's nests inside my front yard olive tree for the last 4-5 years I was not able to obtain a decent picture of the bird.
They brutally attack my feijoa tree flowers in spring and now take advantage of ripened figs. Thanks to the figs that is what I got today in the morning:

Last edited by Greyser; 08-03-2013 at 05:00 PM.
08-03-2013, 05:44 PM   #8653
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kengoh Quote
Nice series Frogfish, the kingfisher looks like Oriental Dwark KF aka Black Backed KF.
That is indeed the same bird Ken ... Oriental Dwarf Kingfisher AKA Black Backed (three sub-species ; Sabah, Sarawak/Kalimantan and a vagrant from India/Thailand/South China - which is the version you see in Singapore/Peninsular Malaysia).
08-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #8654
Veteran Member

Thanks Dave There are some special deals flying around at the moment ...... US$100 return to Kota Kinabalu from Hangzhou (close to Shanghai) so I may go back there earlier than planned (I've offered to take the wife this time but she's umming and aaahing !
08-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #8655
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Take-5-JB Quote
Frogfish,

Appears the KF in the first photo has a parasite on his right wing. Life is tough in the jungle. All kinds of things want to eat you.

JB
Well spotted JB ! I hadn't noticed that, thinking it was just colouration. I've been back to the original so I can zoom in more and you are absolutely correct.