Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91813 Likes Search this Thread
08-27-2010, 02:08 PM   #871
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
I've searched through a number of threads and as Astrophotography is new to me, I'm still not quite able to figure out what is needed and I hope someone doesn't mind pointing me in the right direction (and I thought this would be the right thread to ask).

I'm trying to figure out what is needed to attach a camera to a Pentax telescope (645 and 35mm) and found the following diagram, but it isn't clear to me what exactly is needed, and which items are optional. It is my understanding that telescope tubes are typically not a huge focal length, (using the eye piece for magnification).

I found the diagram but can't translate it and even if I could, it might still leave a few questions.

I am presuming;

I can attach the camera directly to the tube using a single adapter? This would limit pictures to the focal length of the tube but would give me the best quality?

I can attach the camera with lens attached via the filter thread using another adapter? This would give greater magnification but would reduce light and quality?

Thanks,
Steve
This site looks interesting:

Pentax Eyepieces and Telescopes

Phil.

08-27-2010, 07:51 PM   #872

Photos: Gallery
I can attach the camera directly to the tube using a single adapter? This would limit pictures to the focal length of the tube but would give me the best quality?

I can attach the camera with lens attached via the filter thread using another adapter? This would give greater magnification but would reduce light and quality?

Thanks,
Steve
It has been a while since I attached a camera to my telescope, but I have two adapters.

1) k-mount to telescope adapter: This looks like a thick k to m42 adapter for old lenses. (In fact, it works on m42 lenses, but like there is a short extension.) This can be screwed directly onto my telescope so the telescope becomes a lens. This may not work for all telescopes. Mine it a refractor telescope, which is just like regular camera lens. Reflecting (mirror) telescopes may be different.

2) Variable-projection camera adapter (according to the box): This screws into the adapter and then you can attach it to the telescope just like a regular eyepiece. You can also insert an eyepiece into the adapter for greater magnification.

Neither adapter is from Pentax. The first is unknown while the second is from Meade.

There are likely other adapters you can get as well; I am far from an expert. I did find this site: DIGITAL CAMERA ADAPTERS FOR TELESCOPES - Largest Selection!

Here is a sample picture of the moon with the camera directly attached to the telescope:

The telescope is 1000 mm and the picture taken with my k7.

Hope that helps.

Aaron
08-27-2010, 08:52 PM   #873
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
This site looks interesting:

Pentax Eyepieces and Telescopes

Phil.
Thanks Phil,

I did find this site that has the tubes to take the telescope from an eyepiece to a camera mount, but I am guessing that there is more to it than that;

Google Translate

If I pick one up I can bypass the mount and eyepiece (I think?) but will not have the multiplication of an eyepiece unless I add a lens. (?)
08-28-2010, 12:59 AM   #874
Veteran Member

SMC, the corellas keep you to a certain distance, they don't attack so much as move on if you intrude into their comfort zone. What I'm hoping to get a few pics of this September are our magpies in action. They do get seriously aggressive during their breeding period and with a lot of luck I should get some decent pics of them dive bombing cyclists and other members of the general public.

08-28-2010, 08:32 AM   #875
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 2aron Quote
It has been a while since I attached a camera to my telescope, but I have two adapters.

1) k-mount to telescope adapter: This looks like a thick k to m42 adapter for old lenses. (In fact, it works on m42 lenses, but like there is a short extension.) This can be screwed directly onto my telescope so the telescope becomes a lens. This may not work for all telescopes. Mine it a refractor telescope, which is just like regular camera lens. Reflecting (mirror) telescopes may be different.

2) Variable-projection camera adapter (according to the box): This screws into the adapter and then you can attach it to the telescope just like a regular eyepiece. You can also insert an eyepiece into the adapter for greater magnification.

Neither adapter is from Pentax. The first is unknown while the second is from Meade.

There are likely other adapters you can get as well; I am far from an expert. I did find this site: DIGITAL CAMERA ADAPTERS FOR TELESCOPES - Largest Selection!

Here is a sample picture of the moon with the camera directly attached to the telescope:

The telescope is 1000 mm and the picture taken with my k7.

Hope that helps.

Aaron

Thanks for the info Aaron! I picked up someone's old setup off fleabay and it comes with a "box of stuff", which the owner wasn't sure exactly what he had. He used a Nikon on it, but it might have additional adapters. I hope I can make sense of it...
08-28-2010, 09:29 AM   #876
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Phil,

I did find this site that has the tubes to take the telescope from an eyepiece to a camera mount, but I am guessing that there is more to it than that;

Google Translate

If I pick one up I can bypass the mount and eyepiece (I think?) but will not have the multiplication of an eyepiece unless I add a lens. (?)
Good luck on your search Steve, I’m sure you’ll find something that works.

I’m having similar issues myself. I just got the K series Microscope adapter and am in search of a microscope that it will fit on.

Phil.
08-28-2010, 10:01 AM   #877
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Good luck on your search Steve, I’m sure you’ll find something that works.

I’m having similar issues myself. I just got the K series Microscope adapter and am in search of a microscope that it will fit on.

Phil.

Thanks Phil. I'm looking forward to seeing some shots from a microscope when you figure it out. I'll search around a bit to see if I can dig anything up regarding the microscope....

Steve

08-28-2010, 11:08 AM   #878
Veteran Member

SMC Pentax M 400/5.6

Managed a few shots of a Cedar Waxwing today:

Intentionally underexposed but I like the effect.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 08-28-2010 at 11:15 AM.
08-28-2010, 12:37 PM   #879
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the effect, too--that first one is super!
08-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #880
Veteran Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one that likes to set the exposure back a bit. It adds a nice quality to the tones in the shot, especially the first one, and gives the shot a certain mood.
08-28-2010, 02:23 PM   #881
Veteran Member

Thanks Dave, SMC

Seems to give the image a painting type quality. I'll have to try this sort of thing more often.

Tom G
08-28-2010, 07:12 PM   #882
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Thanks Dave, SMC

Seems to give the image a painting type quality. I'll have to try this sort of thing more often.

Tom G
Maybe my K10d's metering isn't as far off as I thought! Great shots Tom.
08-28-2010, 07:55 PM   #883
Veteran Member

Thanks Albert

Tom G
08-28-2010, 09:17 PM   #884
Veteran Member

M400/5.6

shots below are from my m300/4, getting ready to "deploy" the 400 next few days,
finally found a great, packable stool, most important thing for me and that 400.

1st shot is egret that I knew well enough to bump up 2 stops on the shutter in addition
to -1EV and its still too hot, 400 will be in its comfort zone if I get another chance,
and I should.

2nd is stuff I'll be wading into, its everybit as miserable as it looks, but if you want to shoot it, its in there.

Really looking foward to it, weather should give great iso, apeture, speed combos
with the 400. Hope I learned something from guys like Tom, and Albert.
Cheers,
Bill
Attached Images

09-01-2010, 02:19 PM   #885
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Practikar Pentacon MC 500 f5.6????

I recently was outbid on this lens on eBay and I am beginning to think I will regret that a lot. I didn't find it early in the auction so I did not know a lot about it or have a lot of time to learn about it but I liked the look. I have done some online(google) research and learned where it was made and have seen a few images and reviews since then. Most were positive about the MC, multi coated, version of the lens and that one did have the MC on it. I am wondering if anyone has used this on either a 6x7 format or 35 mm or digital body?? It went for more than I felt I could afford but apparently about half of others ending bids. I also am wondering how many of you may have had success using long medium format lenses with a digital body? I am hoping I can stop kicking myself for not having bid higher. Oh Well.
Thanks in advance, Alan.