Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2014, 01:46 AM   #12121
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
That's an often overlooked factor in tele lens performance -- especially the older M42, K-, M-, A- version lenses.
Thank you for that info pacerr, it makes alot of sense but I'm still a bit disappointed that my "new" A*300 is not as good as I had hoped. so I have decided to buy another lens (not right away though) I have been looking (online) at some Sigma reviews and Pentax reviews,
I would like something close to 300, I think a zoom would be more versatile for me So I'm thinking I'll probably go with a DA*60-250 f4. I would like an f2.8 aperture though which seem to be more common to the Sigmas.
I'd be interested to hear peoples opinions on which lens would be the better lens to go with (I know you are all bias! haha), I have to say I'm pretty blown away by the quality of alot of the photos on here, some are super sharp, that's what I want to acheive. anyway, I'm keen to hear your thoughts.. thank you!

04-29-2014, 07:29 AM   #12122
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
The flash definitely brings out more feather details. Using my Pentax flash on TTL and underpowering it on that setting works pretty well. I suspect using multi white balance on flash seems to help keep that flash look down. If the steely eye bothers you, I use the burn highlights & midtones and cloning tools in combination in Photoshop Elements. Enlarge the eye until it fills up a good part of the screen and operate with the tools on various strengths. Other people have ways of dealing with the steely eye in the field.

Here is a shot I edited:

K-3 with a Pentax flash and beamer
Very nice.

---------- Post added 04-29-14 at 10:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dane.dawg Quote
A few more from today.
Nice series.

---------- Post added 04-29-14 at 10:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Cold Iron Quote
Very nice. I have been researching adding a beamer and flash. Right now I only have on board flash of my K-3. Interesting enough I shot a Ruby crowned kinglet also, but with the on board flash and DA*300 with DA 1.4tc earlier this week when it was grey and cloudy to see if it would help. My first shot worked well

And it really brought out the color of the eyes and I believe feather detail. Most of my other shots were over exposed, it is going to take some work. It is something that I am definitely interesting in pursuing now.
These little birdies are very difficult to capture. Good job.
04-29-2014, 08:13 AM   #12123
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6878dodge Quote
Thank you for that info pacerr, it makes alot of sense but I'm still a bit disappointed that my "new" A*300 is not as good as I had hoped. so I have decided to buy another lens (not right away though) I have been looking (online) at some Sigma reviews and Pentax reviews,
I would like something close to 300, I think a zoom would be more versatile for me So I'm thinking I'll probably go with a DA*60-250 f4. I would like an f2.8 aperture though which seem to be more common to the Sigmas.
I'd be interested to hear peoples opinions on which lens would be the better lens to go with (I know you are all bias! haha), I have to say I'm pretty blown away by the quality of alot of the photos on here, some are super sharp, that's what I want to acheive. anyway, I'm keen to hear your thoughts.. thank you!
I agree about the A*300: it's very compact but not * good, imho. Obviously, you should get an FA*300/2.8 or (if you don't have that sort of cash lying around) maybe a Tamron Adaptall 300/2.8. If you're willing to sacrifice the f2.8 (and with advances in NR technology, it's reasonable to do so), the DA*300/4 is your best bet. In the zoom category, the Sigma 100-300/4 is also great but they're scarce (I'm getting unsolicited offers for mine--which is not for sale, btw)

That's what I think.
04-29-2014, 10:58 AM - 9 Likes   #12124
Pentaxian

Here are some shots from today

04-29-2014, 02:00 PM   #12125
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ducatigaz Quote
Impressive!
04-29-2014, 02:09 PM   #12126
Veteran Member

Great shots Ya'll !
04-29-2014, 02:35 PM   #12127
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sigma EX 100-300mm f4 APO in the Marketplace...

QuoteOriginally posted by 6878dodge Quote

You may be in luck, there is a Sigma 100-300mm f4 that just appeared in the marketplace right now....
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/259359-sal...00-f4-apo.html
04-29-2014, 04:35 PM   #12128
Veteran Member

Amazing Gary, I need to start using a Flash for wildlife!
The last photos background is surreal.
Does anyone know which Better Beamer fits Metz af50 or af52?

04-29-2014, 06:23 PM - 1 Like   #12129

I can not directly answer your question but have been reading quite a bit about them. One of the resources I have been using is Secrets of Digital Bird Photography by W.H. Majoros of Duke University. He has a good read on flash extenders. Further in to the online book he has an article on how to make a monster and supposedly an even better beamer.

Which is the way I will likely go. Once I purchase a Sigma 500mm, gimbal head, sturdier tripod, external flash, sighhh.....

Rainy mixed with snow cold grey day here today. Once again learning how important light is, the blue and stripped squill in my yard is starting to push through and flower.

DA*300 with DA 1.4tc.
04-29-2014, 07:47 PM   #12130
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Managed to get out at the end of the day today.

04-29-2014, 08:01 PM   #12131
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Managed to get out at the end of the day today.

That last shot is really funny!! I do hope he is really sleeping!!?? Never seen a bird do that.
04-29-2014, 08:11 PM   #12132
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
That last shot is really funny!! I do hope he is really sleeping!!?? Never seen a bird do that.
Looks like the bird is wiping its beak on the branch. I've seen quite a few birds do that.
04-29-2014, 08:39 PM   #12133
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ducatigaz Quote

Another great set. I am truly envious.
04-30-2014, 02:10 AM   #12134
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Impressive!
Thanks Dave

Thanks Travis,these shots were taken from the passenger seat of a car parked down my driveway near some bird feeders and were taken in fairly good light with no flash.
The Bokeh in the last shot is one of my garage doors.

QuoteOriginally posted by swip Quote
Another great set. I am truly envious.
Thanks Swip

Thanks everyone for your feedback and keep up the great work
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
FinePix4700 ZOOM  Photo 
04-30-2014, 03:46 AM - 2 Likes   #12135
Pentaxian

Pentax K5IIs - Sigma 100-300mm f/4 APO EX DG