Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91810 Likes Search this Thread
09-29-2014, 07:24 AM   #13621
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by daytona9 Quote
I can see 3 eggs in the nest, so I'll check every weekend until they hatch - hopefully I'll be able to get photos of the hatchlings.
Cool!

09-29-2014, 09:49 AM   #13622
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does anyone have any recommendations for a replacement case for my Tamron 300mm f/2.8? After one near disaster where I saved my lens from hitting the ground with my foot, I need a better case (less likely to pop open) than the one that came with the lens.
09-29-2014, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #13623
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Designosophy Quote
Does anyone have any recommendations for a replacement case for my Tamron 300mm f/2.8? After one near disaster where I saved my lens from hitting the ground with my foot, I need a better case (less likely to pop open) than the one that came with the lens.
I keep my (Adaptall) Tamron 300mm f/2.8 in a ThinkTank Sling-O-Matic10. It was expensive but it's secure and easy to carry.
09-29-2014, 10:43 AM - 1 Like   #13624
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm using a lowepro slingshot 100 - its a good size for the lens. But I had a similar experience! Just got to be religious about pulling the zip pulls right round to the end of the zipper not leave them in the middle somewhere because they WILL come undone with the weight of the lens

Last edited by marcusBMG; 09-29-2014 at 04:01 PM.
09-29-2014, 10:50 AM - 1 Like   #13625
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use the Lowepro Flipside 400AW. It accommodates my A*300/2.8 with the AF1.7X TC and K-5 attached.
09-29-2014, 11:58 AM   #13626
Veteran Member

Wow, multiple suggestions - thanks, folks!
09-29-2014, 12:09 PM   #13627
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I suggest the Lowepro Lens Case 13 x 32 cm. I use this (or an even bigger size, cannot remember the exact name) for my Tamron 150-600mm. Very well padded and constructed. Multiple ways of attaching this to your body with the SlipLock system or by a shoulder strap. I'm replacing the thin shoulder strap with a contoured padded one.

M

09-29-2014, 04:43 PM - 6 Likes   #13628
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by daytona9 Quote
I can see 3 eggs in the nest, so I'll check every weekend until they hatch - hopefully I'll be able to get photos of the hatchlings.
never seen anything like that..cool!!

---------- Post added 09-29-14 at 06:44 PM ----------

yellow billed cuckoo and her breakfast , lunch and dinner for a long time

09-29-2014, 05:36 PM - 2 Likes   #13629
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cotton tail rabbit taken on my workplace this noon... Still with the K-3+DA300mm+HDTC1.4x... (420mm)

Lapin à queue blanche / Eastern Cottontail [Sylvilagus floridanus]
by Curculion, on Flickr

I LOVE this kit more and more! I always carry it with me!
this make my FA*250-600mm less used these times unfortunately! (I am getting lots of good shots without using the BIG/Heavy arsenal).
I Also wonder if I wouldn't sell my F*300 too... hummm...
09-29-2014, 06:11 PM   #13630
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
Cotton tail rabbit taken on my workplace this noon... Still with the K-3+DA300mm+HDTC1.4x... (420mm)

by Curculion, on Flickr

I LOVE this kit more and more! I always carry it with me!
this make my FA*250-600mm less used these times unfortunately! (I am getting lots of good shots without using the BIG/Heavy arsenal).
I Also wonder if I wouldn't sell my F*300 too... hummm...
From the picture, I have to say that is a terrific lens+TC combination.
09-29-2014, 07:29 PM   #13631
Veteran Member

Tripod or Monopod is a must for me.

I don't have a clue how you guys get some of the razor sharp images you do shooting hand-held with these big lenses! I make it a habit to use AT LEAST a monopod for just about all my shooting, long lens or otherwise. I have a moderate amount of hand tremors due to a brain injury a while back and it is very problematic for me. I detest an image that is less than optimum sharpness... and I don't bother saving a single one of them. I tried shooting a few test shots, hand-held, off the front porch with the K-400mm and it was quickly apparent that it was a lost cause. The monopod helped a great deal, but as a general rule, I always shoot off of a tripod with it. But, I'm willing to do what ever it takes to get what I want in the way of sharpness. Life's too short to live with a blurry, soft image! It's like slow-dancing with an ugly woman!

...... but, oh how I envy you guys (and gals) who can shoot these long lenses, standing on your hind legs and getting these wonderful images! Envy hell, I'm jealous!

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
09-29-2014, 07:44 PM - 1 Like   #13632
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
It's like slow-dancing with an ugly woman!
Ahh....I see you've met my sister
09-29-2014, 07:46 PM   #13633
Veteran Member

I'm with you Dewman - tripod always for me. A few years ago I could get away shooting 300mm (AF) at times, but since now having RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis) there is no way. Even shooting with my DFA 100 WR with close ups - not even macro - I find that I seem to suffer from front to back movement somehow which of course SR can't help me with. Once I got used to using a tripod I actually find it quite liberating. But what makes it easy for me is I do all my shooting on my own property so there are no transporting issues.

I've seen some members here who claim to shoot their 500mm (750mm equivelant) hand held. I just find it hard to fathom without at least some kind of bracing.

And like you, anything less then stellar sharpness is not a keeper. Weevil's image above is what I strive for as far as sharpness myself.
09-29-2014, 08:24 PM - 1 Like   #13634
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I don't have a clue how you guys get some of the razor sharp images you do shooting hand-held with these big lenses! I make it a habit to use AT LEAST a monopod for just about all my shooting, long lens or otherwise. I have a moderate amount of hand tremors due to a brain injury a while back and it is very problematic for me. I detest an image that is less than optimum sharpness... and I don't bother saving a single one of them. I tried shooting a few test shots, hand-held, off the front porch with the K-400mm and it was quickly apparent that it was a lost cause. The monopod helped a great deal, but as a general rule, I always shoot off of a tripod with it. But, I'm willing to do what ever it takes to get what I want in the way of sharpness. Life's too short to live with a blurry, soft image! It's like slow-dancing with an ugly woman!

...... but, oh how I envy you guys (and gals) who can shoot these long lenses, standing on your hind legs and getting these wonderful images! Envy hell, I'm jealous!

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I'm with you Dewman - tripod always for me. A few years ago I could get away shooting 300mm (AF) at times, but since now having RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis) there is no way. Even shooting with my DFA 100 WR with close ups - not even macro - I find that I seem to suffer from front to back movement somehow which of course SR can't help me with. Once I got used to using a tripod I actually find it quite liberating. But what makes it easy for me is I do all my shooting on my own property so there are no transporting issues.

I've seen some members here who claim to shoot their 500mm (750mm equivelant) hand held. I just find it hard to fathom without at least some kind of bracing.

And like you, anything less then stellar sharpness is not a keeper. Weevil's image above is what I strive for as far as sharpness myself.

Thank you Stormtech...

but I have no merit... I used post processing in Lightroom 5 to improve the overall quality...
I did not mention that I did in fact used a monopod for this last image, I was on my knees and not the most stable as I could be... Thank you for the Pentax SR though!

For example, this photo was "slightly" adjusted in term of Presence (Clarity & Vibrance +15), Saturation (+10), exposure (+0,5), Cropped (~1:3.5), Sharpening (Amount:100; Radius 2.0, detail 42, masking 20) and Noise reduction was also applied at the end (luminance 25, other NR settings not used)...
I could also be using highlights and shadows improvements, but did not do that this time...

Yeah! and also here are some exif settings: 1/800s, f5.6(completely open), ISO800, no flash. The sky was pretty overcast too...

to give you an idea, here is the original photo (but cropped the same way)... saved at 102 pixels wide (the same size as the one exported from Flickr above)...

So you see it was not that sharp direct from the camera, and that some PP improves them quite a lot!

BUT! I have to add, that the sharpest images I got so far were because I was pretty close to the subject... in this case, I was maybe 30 feet from the rabbit, and he was still... the closest yo get, the better the chances to get tac-sharp images !

by Curculion, on Flickr
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by Weevil; 09-29-2014 at 08:31 PM.
09-30-2014, 02:07 AM   #13635
Veteran Member

Still learning how to handle my Sigma 170-500 APO, handholding fully extended @500mm it's very nose heavy, I really should be getting a monopod or tripod to go with this