Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91898 Likes Search this Thread
10-04-2014, 06:42 AM   #13711
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After following our local ospreys for the last three years with a DA 55-300, I began to look for something longer that could actually be handheld. Here are some of the first few handheld from the back porch with a pristine A-400/5.6. This will take a lot of practice! Exif incorrectly says 35mm.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
10-04-2014, 07:53 AM   #13712
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
After following our local ospreys for the last three years with a DA 55-300, I began to look for something longer that could actually be handheld. Here are some of the first few handheld from the back porch with a pristine A-400/5.6. This will take a lot of practice! Exif incorrectly says 35mm.
You have to set the SR focal length manually when you turn the camera on. EXIF will be correct if you set it, the SR will work better too
10-04-2014, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #13713
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Great Work Gary and kengoh, I had a few kingfishers on my lake, but never got close to them. I saw them fly by lots of times though.
QuoteOriginally posted by dane.dawg Quote
Fantastic Kite shots Garry!Such a gorgeous bird and the last photo should be printed.
One of the best Kingfisher photos I have ever seen Ken, it has it all great perch,food,comp,lighting.

Thanks normhead and dane.

WaterHen on the rock
10-04-2014, 08:11 AM   #13714
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
You have to set the SR focal length manually when you turn the camera on. EXIF will be correct if you set it, the SR will work better too
Yes boriscleto is right, It will help immensely. I've used the -A 400mm f5.6 in the past, a monster of a lens in size and performance. (Had a bunch of 400mm f5.6, Tokina, Sigma AF +MF) The Pentax was superior to them all in terms of IQ. CA was a pain though , persistent even at smaller apertures f8-10. I found myself shooting most of the time at f11 and correcting CA in PP. (Sigma APO 400mm f5.6 controls it significantly better but can't touch the Pentax in terms of resolution). I loved the long focus throw on the lens, with a split focus screen (which for me was mandatory) mounted on a monopod, you could really fine adjust the focus. I sold mine when I got the Sigma 100-300mm f4 but regret it every day. (If someone can lend me a Sigma APO AF 400mm f5.6 Macro i might just get over it. )

Last edited by Stavri; 10-04-2014 at 09:01 AM.
10-04-2014, 08:59 AM   #13715
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree that dane.dawg can shoot with a (cough) Nikon (cough) and still post it here. If nothing else it'll be a good comparison to the K-3. He's a marvelous shooter with a light tight box and lens.
10-04-2014, 09:04 AM   #13716
Pentaxian

Thanks to you and boriscleto. A well earned dope slap for me as It helps to set the manual focus switch to the appropriate setting. I think I've found a keeper!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
10-04-2014, 09:08 AM   #13717
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The Pentax Hymn

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
I agree that dane.dawg can shoot with a (cough) Nikon (cough) and still post it here. If nothing else it'll be a good comparison to the K-3. He's a marvelous shooter with a light tight box and lens.
I see..............it's a mutiny then...As Pentax shooters we need a Hymn to stand behind while banishing Canonikons into the abyss.
(Travelour has provided us with the lyrics though they need a bit of work since they don't rhyme) ...all we need now is music)

QuoteOriginally posted by travelour Quote
I did it! I bought it. A silver K3.
In my bag, a k1000, it’ll accompany.
For a decade, maybe more, I’ve thought of this digital leap.
But I’ve refrained and restrained. These suckers aren’t cheap.
The N-word, the C-word. They don’t follow my axiom.
A camera should be rugged yet flexible. I must be Pentaxian.

In Japan, I teach. So many photo opportunities
Kids see my M50f2. Ask why this antique’s on me.
“My camera can use it. And it’s amazing. You’ll see!”
They ooh and ah, holding it so clumsily.
I’m calm. They won’t hurt it. This baby is titanium.
And that’s one reason, I’m proud to say, I’m a Pentaxian.

I live in the countryside, near Fuji, where the rivers and forests are emerald green.
My piece of heaven, you know. I think Ansel Adams would be quite pleased.
Then there’s the castles, shrines, festivals, and more.
I want to capture everything. It’s so stimulating. Photo opportunities galore.
And so I’m ready to go digital. This is my desire within.
I will be a new age, born again, digital photographer. A Pentaxian.

And now I beg you, my friends, my photographic kin.
In my bag sits an Albinar 135 and M50f2. Each a manual focus lens,
I dream of owning wide angles, macros, telephotos, and zooms. WR if I can.
For a full set, I’d trade my “Teaching with Calvin and Hobbes.” My other sacred gem.
I’m sure I’m going insane. Madness, this is and hence,
Please grant me one little DA for now. To calm my nerves. To settle my mind.
That I may be a new age, born again, digital Pentaxian.

10-04-2014, 11:23 AM   #13718
Pentaxian

I find Nikon shooters useful as bear bait. Don't want to alienate them. (hope you are having a good day Travis)
10-04-2014, 01:27 PM   #13719
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
What a day. Myself, Alistair and friends from the lower mainland went to see if we could find some grizzlies.
What a day indeed!!! Excellent series!!!
10-04-2014, 02:12 PM   #13720
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kengoh Quote
Thanks normhead and dane.

WaterHen on the rock
More interesting birds we don't see here. Great capture.
10-04-2014, 03:54 PM   #13721
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
Shot on a Nikon D7100 + 300mm f2.8? I thought this was a pentax forum (Ought to be shot at dawn for the sacrilege )
Nope. Any old or new 300 or more will do.
10-04-2014, 05:26 PM - 4 Likes   #13722
Pentaxian

Wilson's Snipe.

10-04-2014, 05:31 PM   #13723
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I find Nikon shooters useful as bear bait. Don't want to alienate them. (hope you are having a good day Travis)
I had an amazing day Derek and thank you for setting me up to see Apple and her cubs!
Alistair and Dorothy are amazing people!
The light was lousy today But it doesn't matter because for the first time in my life I got to see a Grizzly and her cubs and we were lucky because there is no guarantees.
Most photos I took were ISO 3200 and cropped pretty heavy.
This only being the second day with a new camera and lens I made lots of mistakes with exposure and and definitely would of done better with K-3 and 500/4.5
I will post some photos Sunday if its ok with Stavri.
10-04-2014, 05:47 PM   #13724
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
I see..............it's a mutiny then...As Pentax shooters we need a Hymn to stand behind while banishing Canonikons into the abyss.
(Travelour has provided us with the lyrics though they need a bit of work since they don't rhyme) ...all we need now is music)
I was thinking more along the lines of;

From the halls of photokina
To the shores of Tripoli
We will take our brand name's photos
In the air on land and sea...
10-04-2014, 06:08 PM   #13725
Pentaxian

Please post them.

I don't know if others have the same experience, but once I've processed my shots usually I'm pretty bored with them. I may go back later and enjoy them, but any enjoyment usually comes from the reactions of others. The bear shots I managed to get on Wednesday are different. Every time I look at them I get shivers. When the sow climbed the tree the clouds parted and the low early light shone on her and the cubs. It was magical. And the one where they were swimming still takes my breath away. I'm glad I took a few mornings trying to focus on the loons on the lake, finding the spot that will get a sharp image far away on a horizontal plane, because it worked with the bears.

I've had other bear shots, some very close, and the grizzlies wrestling from last year was very special. But wednesday was one of those days where the light is perfect, the subject is perfect and the hand is steady.
« The Tammy Club! | - »