Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91913 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2011, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #1441
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Spyder,

I guess when you have to look up the reference the joke loses a lot of its punch. Your education continues my young Padawan. Hope you don’t have to Google up that one or I’m going to give up movie and TV analogies altogether.
That one I get.

QuoteOriginally posted by Skog Quote
Todays edition.

Whimbrel
Really nice shot there.

I'm more or less out of recent shots that are worth posting, so here's a few older ones with the bigma that I don't think I've posted before:

Everyone needs a hug once in a while

Looks MUCH better full size. The aliasing comes from the resizing, doesn't seem to matter what method I use...

And since there's been a long run of wildlife shots, a little variety is on order.

02-02-2011, 05:56 PM   #1442
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Spyder

really nice change from wildlife to life on the wild side
02-03-2011, 12:33 AM - 1 Like   #1443
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow Spyder....those are great shots. Like Lowell said....makes me want to take some longer glass out for something more than wildlife.

My drive into work this guy was on the shoreline. It was just starting to get light out so I had to push it PP quite a bit but I like the color...

Once in a while I stop at this spot during lunch to see what's there....my 1 friend had 8 other friends over all hanging out in the same small tree. Anyways, here is one....

02-03-2011, 05:23 PM   #1444
Veteran Member

Very cool shot SMC. Reminds me of an bearded old man!!

Just received my Bigma today and can't wait to take it out at lunch tomorrow!! It was almost dark when I got home today and my k10 certainly isn't going to pull out any magic high ISO such as the k-5

02-03-2011, 08:53 PM   #1445
Veteran Member

Looking forward to seeing some shots from that Bigma. I was in New England, for a couple of years although I never made it up to Maine. Beautiful area and I'm kicking myself for not taking a trip up that way. That Bigma should be great for birding etc.
02-03-2011, 09:05 PM - 1 Like   #1446
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nomad Quote
Very cool shot SMC.
Just received my Bigma today and can't wait to take it out at lunch tomorrow!!
Sure is Nomad,SMC doesnt miss.
Sounds like your going to be having some fun too.

Something Ive noticed last few days with all the snow and ice,seems like cars are
attracting finches,larks,etc. Wondering if might be when plows go along roads and scrape shoulder
down to bare earth,birds are drawn to foodstuff,tree sparrow was inside of my minimum focus
of 8 feet with tam.360B & AF1.7x. leaned over and 'backed up" with tripod and all but still wasnt enough.
Raptors seem to be keying on all the activity too,like this northern goshawk
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
02-03-2011, 10:56 PM   #1447
Veteran Member

That second shot is a keeper Bill. The ice laden branches setup a great composition for the shot.

02-04-2011, 05:42 AM   #1448
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
That second shot is a keeper Bill. The ice laden branches setup a great composition for the shot.
Really--amazing to get the hawk and ice-covered branches! But I'm wondering whether--due to conditions--it might be a bit too bright and contrasty for best effect. I might try to subtle-ize it a bit (but I'm certainly not sure I'd succeed.)
02-04-2011, 08:34 AM   #1449
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
+++ 1 - NICE shot!
02-04-2011, 10:36 AM   #1450
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Really--amazing to get the hawk and ice-covered branches! But I'm wondering whether--due to conditions--it might be a bit too bright and contrasty for best effect. I might try to subtle-ize it a bit (but I'm certainly not sure I'd succeed.)
I like it as is, for what my opinion is worth (C$ a bit more than 1.0000 US yesterday, but 0.00 is 0.00 either way)
02-04-2011, 10:49 AM   #1451
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I like it as is, for what my opinion is worth (C$ a bit more than 1.0000 US yesterday, but 0.00 is 0.00 either way)
Whatever the exchange rate, I'd be inclined to defer to your opinion.
02-04-2011, 01:16 PM   #1452
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Image posting

I really like the wildlife images many people on the Thread have been posting. I have finally obtained a gimbal plus the camera body support arm which makes photos with my 800 possible but No birds, no small animals and I have seen 3 deer all winter, all I have to shoot is buildings and bare trees. Now that I have the new K-x I really want to shoot wildlife but the glaciers must recede somewhat I believe. You guys think I could post some of dull structures?? Plus include shots of the lens and support gear?
Alan W.
02-04-2011, 01:23 PM   #1453
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kacansas03 Quote
I really like the wildlife images many people on the Thread have been posting. I have finally obtained a gimbal plus the camera body support arm which makes photos with my 800 possible but No birds, no small animals and I have seen 3 deer all winter, all I have to shoot is buildings and bare trees. Now that I have the new K-x I really want to shoot wildlife but the glaciers must recede somewhat I believe. You guys think I could post some of dull structures?? Plus include shots of the lens and support gear?
Alan W.
I just had another idea but need advice. If I put extension tubes behind the 800 mm it would decrease the minimum focus distance I think. It's minimum is 60 feet so if I wanted to make that 20 feet how much extension tube would I need to add??? I can also due trial and error experiments but I hope there is some kind of guide.
Alan W.
02-04-2011, 02:29 PM   #1454
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kacansas03 Quote
I just had another idea but need advice. If I put extension tubes behind the 800 mm it would decrease the minimum focus distance I think. It's minimum is 60 feet so if I wanted to make that 20 feet how much extension tube would I need to add??? I can also due trial and error experiments but I hope there is some kind of guide.
Alan W.
Extension . . . new MFD
0mm . . . . . . . 60ft
15mm . . . . . . 45ft
30mm . . . . . . 33ft
95mm . . . . . . 20ft

Lens Magnification and Depth of Field Calculator

Hope this helps!
02-04-2011, 02:58 PM   #1455
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RXrenesis8 Quote
Extension . . . new MFD
0mm . . . . . . . 60ft
15mm . . . . . . 45ft
30mm . . . . . . 33ft
95mm . . . . . . 20ft

Lens Magnification and Depth of Field Calculator

Hope this helps!
Great! Thanks for the link. Since I have 2 sets for extension tubes, I can get within the 20 foot range, if I want, by putting together over 100mm of tubes. One set at 58mm of extension gets the lens into a very reasonable focusing range for birds and the like. Now for spring and some "wild" birds and other creatures.
Alan W.
P.S. I do so love rotary engine cars.

Last edited by kacansas03; 02-04-2011 at 02:59 PM. Reason: An Addition