Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2014, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #14731
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Not exactly within budget...

Ubuntu_user has one in the marketplace right now for a mere $965.
And god knows we don't comment on marketplace listings.

12-23-2014, 11:59 AM   #14732
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Well, I'm out of here My old Sigma's AF is dead. Focus is stuck, something "clicked" inside. Suddenly, right before blue heron took off. I still could catch an eye, but that's all.
I can not afford some decent 300mm, only another old something. What can I possibly find for about $100-200....

R.I.P my Sigma.
The A17 version of the Tamron 70-300 is a sharp lens and is budget friendly.
It has a tendency to purple fringe in high contrast situations, but that is easily cleaned up with post process software.
Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2 Lens--DigitalRev
12-23-2014, 12:43 PM   #14733
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Oh, thank you, guys. I feel like a horse suddenly stopped on the run. I just got so involved in shooting with 300mm. I do have back up 55-250mm Canon combo, but it's not the same. Somehow 50 extra mm makes a difference. And the Pentax combo is heavy. I've been struggling in the beginning with weight, but love it now. It helps to keep hands steady after getting used into weight.

AF must have because it's convenient to shoot with the camera on my upper arm, and keep the body straight not killing my back. With heavy manual lens I'm afraid I can not catch action using 300mm zoom efficiently. I do have great Tele-Takumar 200mm f/5.6, but not for the action shooting, I simply can not catch it well.
Well, the same Sigma, but DL is not really expensive. And the others as well. It just must be sharp at 300mm. That old cheap Sigma surprisingly was very sharp.

Yes, shooting birds is tricky because the light direction, background change too fast while tracing birds. I've never tried multi bracketing there are too many things to learn. Seems like instead of buying flash I will shop for 300mm soon. It was my source of joy!
FYI, a DA 300mm just appeared in the marketplace, and the price is right!
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/283522-sal...condition.html
12-23-2014, 02:14 PM   #14734
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
The A17 version of the Tamron 70-300 is a sharp lens and is budget friendly.
It has a tendency to purple fringe in high contrast situations, but that is easily cleaned up with post process software.
Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2 Lens--DigitalRev
That's the one I'm thinking about. Some reviews state that it's sharper than Sigma. Purple fringe is not a problem, since my Sigma was a fringe monster, and I got used into removing mostly purple (and green, and blue) fringe all the time. I forgive slow hunting focusing, darkness, CA, fringing for Sigma's sharpness at price of $42 I also think that before it died, I pushed its limits pretty well. The first time I tried it, I could not get any sharp image at all, it took time to explore.
Maybe one day DA*300mm will be a piece a cake to manage.

Thanks again, guys, for all your advice. I feel better now.

12-23-2014, 03:03 PM   #14735
Pentaxian

That's the one I'm thinking about. Some reviews state that it's sharper than Sigma. Purple fringe is not a problem, since my Sigma was a fringe monster, and I got used into removing mostly purple (and green, and blue) fringe all the time. I forgive slow hunting focusing, darkness, CA, fringing for Sigma's sharpness at price of $42 I also think that before it died, I pushed its limits pretty well. The first time I tried it, I could not get any sharp image at all, it took time to explore.

Don't just feel better, buy something..... just kidding...
12-23-2014, 03:36 PM   #14736
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just make sure you get version A17. There are a few different versions of Tamron 70-300 and the others I tested were soft at 300.
12-23-2014, 11:09 PM   #14737
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

another 300mm in ebay with interesting price: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/283560-pentax-fa-30...s659-ebay.html

12-23-2014, 11:57 PM - 4 Likes   #14738
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
That is a steal! I bought mine on ebay directly from Japan a few years ago for over 1K. It is a very fine instrument and is also friendly with relatively inexpensive screw driven 1.4x TCs. I was shooting it paired with K-5 with and without TC for couple of years at least.

12-24-2014, 01:35 PM   #14739

Santa came from South Korea!

I just got a package containing the F* 300mm that was in excellent+ condition. Great price too $870! My wife, God bless her, is telling me i need to wait til Christmas (tomorrow) to open it in front of the kids. *sigh* If the tests go well I will be selling my E++ DA* 300. Can't Wait!
12-24-2014, 03:27 PM   #14740
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevwaly Quote
I just got a package containing the F* 300mm that was in excellent+ condition. Great price too $870! My wife, God bless her, is telling me i need to wait til Christmas (tomorrow) to open it in front of the kids. *sigh* If the tests go well I will be selling my E++ DA* 300. Can't Wait!
Congrats! I look forward to your comparison tests results.
I can't see any lens making me get rid of my DA*300 personally.
12-24-2014, 03:32 PM   #14741
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Acquired another Photax Paragon 300mm f5 (couldn't resist the price). Its a classic hefty old M42 lens. Mint condition, but optically no better than the last one! Lumix G1 (just easier to work with M42 lenses on the lumix than on the Pentax: no exposure problems, magnified focus assist is very accurate either on the screen of through the evf, but lens issues are magnified a bit more by the 2x crop factor):

This was the best pic. f8 or 11 (f stop not recorded obviously)

And this was the best wide open pic, most were not that great TBH, and I had to work in pp to ameliorate the PF on the black-white feather line.

Fair results for a "coffee and donut" lens IMO...

My other bargain buy was a sigma 400mm. But thats probably the worst case of fungus I've had! Clean up project , I'll keep you posted.
12-24-2014, 09:09 PM - 6 Likes   #14742
Pentaxian

I managed a few minutes of poking around with a slight detour. Worth the time.

12-24-2014, 09:14 PM   #14743
Veteran Member

Rams and Cormorants. Definitely worth the time. Excellent photos.
12-24-2014, 10:14 PM   #14744
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevwaly Quote
It's xmas here.....so go for it..........

Great price.....love my copy.
12-25-2014, 12:58 AM   #14745
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Congrats! I look forward to your comparison tests results.
I can't see any lens making me get rid of my DA*300 personally.
humm... I have both... would be hard to choose which one is better. I should do a comparison testing one of these days. Just like this, I'd say I love the DA*300 silent focus + WR... better for going out in the filed I guess
what kind of comparison would you like to see ?