Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2015, 09:25 AM - 2 Likes   #14836
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Very nice set of photos and a nice (but sad) story behind.

Can't believe that this lens is - if the exif is right - @600 mm so perfectly sharp.... Truly admirable!
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I agree, great photos; but sad. Hoping the little bird survives. I feed wild birds in my yard all winter, and have a heated water dish for them. It's heartwarming to see them come in and be able to get food & water.

BTW, may I ask what lens you used?

Yes it was @600mm.... This lens is my beloved FA* 250-600mm f5.6 [IF].
If you click on the images I post from flickr, you will be redirected to the flickr page and can see all exif details there...
It's not for nothing that it got a 10/10 in the reviews It's super sharp wide open and at the longer focals... nothing to envy to those 600mm f4
And I have to say that the bird was pretty close sometimes. and I was very happy that the minimum focus distance of this lens is about 10 ft

Actually, this is the lens kit "dressed" for the cold (photo take with my BB during that photo shooting)...

Attached Images

Last edited by Weevil; 01-03-2015 at 09:57 AM.
01-03-2015, 09:57 AM   #14837
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

and this is the same lens undressed
(actually this is a Pentax sd 250-3000mm f12 apo)
Attached Images

Last edited by Weevil; 02-21-2015 at 01:27 PM.
01-03-2015, 10:34 AM   #14838
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
and this is the same lens undressed
(actually this is a Pentax sd 250-3000mm f12 apo)

If I'm not wrong there's practically zero chance to get a used 250-600mm.
Such zoom range, that's something what I'd like to see on the K-Mount Lens Line Up... (already daydreaming, don't wake me up )
01-03-2015, 10:49 AM   #14839
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Such zoom range, that's something what I'd like to see on the K-Mount Lens Line Up... (already daydreaming, don't wake me up )

Don't be pessimist... last month there was one very nice copy that went out at a real good price here in the marketplace...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/36-sold-items/280943-sale-sold-smc-pentax...5-6-ed-if.html

they come up once in a while... like a rare bird. Just have your cash ready, because they go fast!

01-03-2015, 10:56 AM   #14840
Pentaxian

Well, this one must be already halfway to the astronomical telescope... Sigma APO 350 1200mm F11 Teleconverter 1 4X for Pentax K | eBay
(seems like it's for sale already for many months)
01-03-2015, 11:13 AM   #14841
Pentaxian

I keep track of 250-600s, so I watch them regularly. I first heard of the lens at an RCMP auction a few years ago, I bid to $2000 (hey, you might get lucky) it went for $7000+. However, since I've been keeping an eye out, I've seen a least 5 or 6 of them go, for as cheap as $5000 and as expensive a $8000. If you put your money in the bank, you can expect to have one within 6 months. I'll never own one, that $5000 one was an 2 hour drive from my home, if I was going to get one, that would have been it. It's just too big for me. But I see no reason anyone shouldn't be able to find one based on my experience.

Last edited by normhead; 01-03-2015 at 02:17 PM.
01-03-2015, 10:45 PM   #14842
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
Yes it was @600mm.... This lens is my beloved FA* 250-600mm f5.6 [IF].
If you click on the images I post from flickr, you will be redirected to the flickr page and can see all exif details there...
It's not for nothing that it got a 10/10 in the reviews It's super sharp wide open and at the longer focals... nothing to envy to those 600mm f4
And I have to say that the bird was pretty close sometimes. and I was very happy that the minimum focus distance of this lens is about 10 ft

Actually, this is the lens kit "dressed" for the cold (photo take with my BB during that photo shooting)...
What flash setup do you have there sir if I may ask? Does it not scare the birds away when the flash blinks?
Just curious sir because I want to photograph birds someday and I like your setup (though I will be using a Q/Q7 with a long K-mount lens).
Thanks!

01-03-2015, 11:16 PM   #14843
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by januko Quote
What flash setup do you have there sir if I may ask? Does it not scare the birds away when the flash blinks?
Just curious sir because I want to photograph birds someday and I like your setup (though I will be using a Q/Q7 with a long K-mount lens).
Thanks!
Most don't move when you trigger the flash.

You start with a powerful flash unit, then get a flash extender. Better beamer, Harbor digital, and some others make a device that uses a large plastic Fresnel lens to focus the light from the flash into a tighter pattern giving you two or more stops additional light. I have illuminated things a long way off with mine. Most flash units come with lenses that work up to 100 mm or 200 mm, so if you have a longer lens than that you need an extender.

You can have the flash unit on the body, but you get the equivalent of red eye, so it is desirable to move the flash unit up or over from the axis of the lens, hence a flash bracket. A wire to trigger the flash works well and make it easy to switch from auto to manual.

This setup works very well for small birds who tend to hide the bushes.

I've been carrying around long lenses on a tripod for quite a while without comment, but add a flash unit with extender and bracket and everyone is asking what all that stuff is for.

---------- Post added 01-03-15 at 10:24 PM ----------

There was a recent discussion about flash brackets. I picked up a Manfrotto 233B CAMERA BRACKET from Henry's for $69.99. Not sure yet if I like it. It is stable once set up, but somewhat awkward to adjust, and the whole assembly is bulky.
01-04-2015, 12:02 AM   #14844
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by januko Quote
Thanks!
Exactly what Derek described...
I use a Pentax AF-540-FGZ flash in HSS (High-Speed Sync) mode, and a Jobu Design Topmount flash bracket like this: Topmount Flash Bracket w/QR (bought in special at Lozeau, for something like 75$ if I recall well)
01-04-2015, 12:30 AM   #14845
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Most don't move when you trigger the flash.

You start with a powerful flash unit, then get a flash extender. Better beamer, Harbor digital, and some others make a device that uses a large plastic Fresnel lens to focus the light from the flash into a tighter pattern giving you two or more stops additional light. I have illuminated things a long way off with mine. Most flash units come with lenses that work up to 100 mm or 200 mm, so if you have a longer lens than that you need an extender.

You can have the flash unit on the body, but you get the equivalent of red eye, so it is desirable to move the flash unit up or over from the axis of the lens, hence a flash bracket. A wire to trigger the flash works well and make it easy to switch from auto to manual.

This setup works very well for small birds who tend to hide the bushes.

I've been carrying around long lenses on a tripod for quite a while without comment, but add a flash unit with extender and bracket and everyone is asking what all that stuff is for.

---------- Post added 01-03-15 at 10:24 PM ----------

There was a recent discussion about flash brackets. I picked up a Manfrotto 233B CAMERA BRACKET from Henry's for $69.99. Not sure yet if I like it. It is stable once set up, but somewhat awkward to adjust, and the whole assembly is bulky.
Oh! I thought it was a softbox. Flash extender! Now I know!

Thanks for the reply sir! I learn something new today.
01-04-2015, 10:47 AM - 1 Like   #14846
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Lafan Sands has three nature reserves and is well known as a winter repose for Great Crested Grebes and other migrants.
No sign of the GCG's, lots of lapwings, but I was happy enjoying the sunshine and checking out my newly acquired K5

This was handheld with the 300mm tamron 54B from one of the hides. Cropped. Take the longer lenses along and get a bit closer next time...

01-04-2015, 02:07 PM - 5 Likes   #14847
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pardon the delay as I left town after posting, but thank you for the supportive comments.

QuoteOriginally posted by Greyser Quote
What shutter speed and other settings do you use for BIF?
If you click on the photos, I think the Flickr page reveals all the settings. I shot the harriers and owls at two locations over a two day period of rare Pacific Northwest sunshine. Settings were from 1/1250-2000, spot metering, AF.C, AF(M), continuous shooting High, mostly wide open and TAV. I had planned on switching to manual but the exposure turned out so well the first day I remained in TAV the second (different location). On the second day I had more trouble with dark birds and next time will manually set my exposure. I absent mindedly left the shake reduction on the first day. If I were to shoot again tomorrow with the luxury of good sunshine (we are back to rain), I would not shoot wide open. My shots at 6.3 were markedly better than 5.6.

There was a lot of high powered glass out there. Almost all were shooting on tripods, but I think I would have missed half my shots if I had done the same (I did have it with me). Still very much a work in progress.

QuoteOriginally posted by RKP Chennai Quote
Fantastic BIF shot. Did you prefocus it or was it a scanning shot..
All birds were followed in the viewfinder, using back button for AF. #18 Hold AF status on 3-4, still trying to figure out what I like best. More than once I would lose the bird and focus into infinity, having to aim at something on the ground to get back in range. I also had a few times where I'd have the bird perfectly in my lens but not in focus and the back AF button seemed to do nothing (I suspect that was when I had hold AF status on 4).

Switching subject now from handheld back to a tripod shot, just to keep my post from being too boring. Here is a long eared owl with its nictitating membrane partially closing in the left eye. I like any excuse to use the word nictitating.

01-04-2015, 05:15 PM   #14848
Pentaxian

Nice owl shot. You mention that the shots were better stopped down a bit. That may be increased depth of field, but my question is whether the lens is good wide open? You are getting very nice results.
01-04-2015, 10:04 PM   #14849
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Nice owl shot. You mention that the shots were better stopped down a bit. That may be increased depth of field, but my question is whether the lens is good wide open? You are getting very nice results.
Thanks. I think it is a good lens wide open. The first three shots posted in my handheld series were all at 5.6
Much of my (tripod) bird photography still ends up being wide open given our usual overcast conditions and I've been very happy with the results.

A limiting factor for BIF is my skill level with handheld shooting, which is a work in progress. Even by the second day, I felt much more confident tracking the owls in the center of the viewfinder.
01-05-2015, 09:27 AM   #14850
Veteran Member

Very nice Carol. If I could find a bird, I would try my 300 Takumar.