Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2011, 02:23 PM   #1276
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by d.bradley Quote
Thanks for the note, I'm glad to hear that, since it seems to coincide with my experience. Figuring out what the limitations of the lens will help me refine my technique...I know that, for example, stopping down will be less helpfull than improving my stalking techniques.

I am huming and hawing about going to an AF supertelephoto, but I think I'll stick with the 500/4.5 smc tak for now with the hope that if I can get good wildlife shots with this lens, I'll be able to get good shots with just about anything
I think we all wouldn't mind an FA*600, coming up with the cash for one on the other hand is something else entirely. If only eating was optional!

As Dadipentak said earlier I think the key with the tak/K is being able to mask out as much of the fringing resulting from the CA as you can in post-processing, especially with heavy crops where it's a lot more noticeable. The lens is certainly sharp enough for it. This is something I need to spend more time experimenting with, somewhere in there is a balance between time spent and results.

That aside I find it's just a plain fun lens to use. And whoever thought to put the sights on it is a genius.

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
That is a very interesting observation! I wish I still had mine so I could test how that plays out in practice but I imagine the same might apply to my 1000mm f8.
I've no experience with the 1000/8, but since it's of a similar vintage to the 500/4.5 I'd be surprised if it was completely free of the effect (it is as a result of axial CA after all). It might be that your lens has more even correction though so you don't get one colour offset to the same extent across the focus range.

I think it starts becoming a real issue in the 500 beyond around 150ft or so which is usually too far away to get a decent shot anyway. With the 1000 you'd think the 'sweet spot' would extent somewhat further out (300ft? More?) and that's a long way away.

Next time I'm out I'll have to try and remember to do some test shots to see if I can quantify it a bit better.

01-05-2011, 04:10 PM   #1277
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Thanks Iphoto and dadypentax. I think i will get one. I have been waiting for obvious reasions. Those are with the k-x. But I do not shoot above 800iso. I am hoping for higher iso out of the k-5 . If so i will be in heaven.
01-05-2011, 05:35 PM   #1278
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spyder Quote
As Dadipentak said earlier I think the key with the tak/K is being able to mask out as much of the fringing resulting from the CA as you can in post-processing,
I was fairly successful just desaturating the color in PSE and I'm anything but a pp wizard. The problem came when there were elements in the photo which were the same color as the fringing. OTOH, since you can see the fringing in the viewfinder, you can use it as a focusing guide to some extent.

That aside I find it's just a plain fun lens to use. And whoever thought to put the sights on it is a genius.
Agree on both counts--I wish my A*400mm had sights!

I've no experience with the 1000/8, but since it's of a similar vintage to the 500/4.5 I'd be surprised if it was completely free of the effect (it is as a result of axial CA after all). It might be that your lens has more even correction though so you don't get one colour offset to the same extent across the focus range.

I think it starts becoming a real issue in the 500 beyond around 150ft or so which is usually too far away to get a decent shot anyway. With the 1000 you'd think the 'sweet spot' would extent somewhat further out (300ft? More?) and that's a long way away.
Ah, ok--I may not have been aware because most of my shooting with these long lenses has been near the MFD. Is there a cost in shooting short of the sweet spot?
01-05-2011, 10:16 PM - 1 Like   #1279
Inactive Account

Sigma Ha roy,, F 4.5

This morning, Sigma 500 f4.5
Pentax k-x is very good.

Attached Images

Last edited by garyk; 01-05-2011 at 10:36 PM.
01-06-2011, 12:05 AM   #1280
Veteran Member

I was fairly successful just desaturating the color in PSE and I'm anything but a pp wizard. The problem came when there were elements in the photo which were the same color as the fringing. OTOH, since you can see the fringing in the viewfinder, you can use it as a focusing guide to some extent.

Agree on both counts--I wish my A*400mm had sights!

Ah, ok--I may not have been aware because most of my shooting with these long lenses has been near the MFD. Is there a cost in shooting short of the sweet spot?
The CA on the 500/4.5 takumar is one issue where shooting raw and using Adobe Camera Raw can help. You'll see that when you adjust the red/cyan slider the 'ghost' images align, and you actually increase the effective resolution by doing this. Adjusting the colours or compensating for CA/fringing by hand won't have the same effect. Also, at longer focus distances the CA is extreme enough that ACR's adjustments actually max out.

As for the min focal distance, I don't think there is any problem at all:

You'll just have to be careful of camera shake and DOF, it seems the optical performance is great. Anyone have any contrary experience?
01-06-2011, 01:44 AM   #1281
Forum Member

I probably just need to spend some time playing around in the editor with some of the more extreme cases. It's just more fun to be out shooting.

I wish my A*400mm had sights!
I wonder why they stopped putting them on longer lenses.

My experience is that the lens is at it's best at or near the MFD, so you can't really be short.

The CA on the 500/4.5 takumar is one issue where shooting raw and using Adobe Camera Raw can help. You'll see that when you adjust the red/cyan slider the 'ghost' images align, and you actually increase the effective resolution by doing this. Adjusting the colours or compensating for CA/fringing by hand won't have the same effect. Also, at longer focus distances the CA is extreme enough that ACR's adjustments actually max out.
I don't use ACR so I'm not sure exactly what those sliders do - are they the transverse CA correction adjustments? I haven't really seen much transverse CA from the K500, just axial CA which you can't fix by transforming the colour channels (how do you align an OOF area with an in-focus area?).

As for the min focal distance, I don't think there is any problem at all:

You'll just have to be careful of camera shake and DOF, it seems the optical performance is great. Anyone have any contrary experience?
Nope, that's pretty much what I've found as well.
01-06-2011, 04:54 AM   #1282
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You'll just have to be careful of camera shake and DOF, it seems the optical performance is great.
Exactly.

01-06-2011, 10:25 AM   #1283
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
@garyk. Great shots. The dark colour birds with details is tough to achieve, but you got it clean.
01-06-2011, 04:51 PM - 1 Like   #1284

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
Thanks Iphoto and dadypentax. I think i will get one. I have been waiting for obvious reasions. Those are with the k-x. But I do not shoot above 800iso. I am hoping for higher iso out of the k-5 . If so i will be in heaven.
"the K5 One of the best APS-C DSLRs in terms of high ISO image quality"

01-06-2011, 05:25 PM   #1285
Inactive Account

Thanks, silva.kumar.

Yea, the dark birds are a balancing act. but in good light not to hard.

I want the k-5 so bad, but i am in thailand and no one here sells it. And i am afraid if i order from somewhere else it will have the stains and then i am really in a bad spot.....
01-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #1286
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My M400/5.6 has the shotgun sight on the lens hood locking screw. It's invaluable at 400mm, really needed at 560mm and absolutely essential at 680mm - the last two using my converters.
01-07-2011, 05:52 AM   #1287
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Monopod Shoulder Brace

Is there anyone here who could speak to this inquiry?
01-07-2011, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #1288
Forum Member

shots with Sigma 2.8/300

Here are some shots I took with the 300/2.8 Sigma APO DG EX with matching TCs, I let you guess which ones were without, with one and with both (1.4 and 2.0 TC)

angus
Attached Images

Last edited by angus; 01-12-2011 at 05:46 AM.
01-07-2011, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #1289
Forum Member

300/2.8 cont.

Here are a few more - perhaps it helps the guesswork if I say that the majority are with at least one TC
Attached Images

Last edited by angus; 07-31-2013 at 08:40 AM.
01-07-2011, 08:46 AM   #1290
m8o
Veteran Member

Is there anyone here who could speak to this inquiry?
Looks intriguing. I am cautious that using it against my shoulder will do the trick; I'm too fidgety. As someone posted, I'd believe leaning against an inanimate object may prove more effective; duopod-like.

Otherwise, I gotta get processing some of my long-lens shots! (only on this page) angus is on a tear what a good day / iFoto, incredible emotion / gary, great results in what seems like less than ideal light in most.

Last edited by m8o; 01-07-2011 at 08:54 AM.