Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91804 Likes Search this Thread
03-15-2011, 12:08 AM   #1546
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I suppose I'll have to post a few samples when I get the two cheap-o lenses I won in the mail.

I had one of those "no way I'll actually win this" moments occur TWICE tonight - I snagged a Quantaray 400mm f/6.3 and a Quantaray 500mm f/8 ($7.99 and $19.99!).

I suspect my next big purchase will be a better tripod.

03-15-2011, 07:04 AM - 1 Like   #1547
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello all, I have been on a road trip in Florida for a couple weeks and figured its time to share some snaps.

Sandhill Crane - biggest birds I ever saw and when I approached to 40m I got the stand tall and flap routine. Could almost see eye-to-eye with that critter. K5 and da*300+F1.7x

Obligatory sunset as I drove away from the Gulf near the Crystal River nuclear power plant. The smudge through the Sun is a thin line of couds. K5 and da18-135

After the only rain of the trip I found a pond with a small flock of Ibis (Ibises?). This guy was tentative about sticking his foot in the water but was soon rewarded with a meaty snack to eat instead of whatever the others were nibbling on.

.....and I finally found the Bluebird of happiness. This pair was scoping out a new house. K20D and A*400/2.8 + F1.7x

03-15-2011, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #1548

Went out for a red kite hunt again yesterday. Both of these cropped, 1 very heavily from 600mm

03-15-2011, 07:52 AM   #1549
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like you had fun, Lee--the bluebirds are terrific!

03-15-2011, 08:07 AM   #1550
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I agree fully! That bluebird shot is stunning.

---------- Post added 03-15-11 at 09:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Hello all, I have been on a road trip in Florida for a couple weeks and figured its time to share some snaps.

Sandhill Crane - biggest birds I ever saw and when I approached to 40m I got the stand tall and flap routine. Could almost see eye-to-eye with that critter. K5 and da*300+F1.7x
Good shot of the Sandhill. Be very careful when you approach Sandhills. They are huge, as you say, and can be quite dangerous. At least one researcher has been killed while trying to band one. One day last summer at Waterton Lakes, we saw a Sandhill drive off a cow moose!
03-16-2011, 05:54 AM   #1551
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Thanks dadi-p, lots of stuff here I have never seen before or even heard of!

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I agree fully! That bluebird shot is stunning.

---------- Post added 03-15-11 at 09:11 AM ----------

Good shot of the Sandhill. Be very careful when you approach Sandhills. They are huge, as you say, and can be quite dangerous. At least one researcher has been killed while trying to band one. One day last summer at Waterton Lakes, we saw a Sandhill drive off a cow moose!
Thank you for kind words Canada. I never knew the Cranes were dangerous but after he turned and stood up to me I got the message and I am much smaller than a moose.
03-16-2011, 07:43 AM   #1552
Inactive Account

@imtheguy: Haha that first ibis is hilarious! most goofy looking bird I ever saw. My dog gets the same expression when he has to walk or sit in wet/snow. And the crane looks excellent! Did you shoot it hand held? The reds in the second ibis shot looks a bit over saturated to me, but otherwise I really liked them all, thanks!

03-16-2011, 08:32 AM   #1553
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Skog Quote
@imtheguy: Haha that first ibis is hilarious! most goofy looking bird I ever saw. My dog gets the same expression when he has to walk or sit in wet/snow. And the crane looks excellent! Did you shoot it hand held? The reds in the second ibis shot looks a bit over saturated to me, but otherwise I really liked them all, thanks!
Thanks for the comments. I make no claims for color accuracy as I am on the road using a new and uncalibrated laptop for processing. It was sundown at the time and very warm light but I will know better when I get home how to adjust.

Need to see some shots of your dog if it can make the same face as that Ibis!
03-16-2011, 10:12 AM   #1554
Pentaxian

Nice series.
03-17-2011, 10:03 AM   #1555
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Huzzah! Great images....
03-17-2011, 10:20 AM   #1556
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Nice series.
Thank you for commenting.

QuoteOriginally posted by cdurfor Quote
Huzzah! Great images....
Well, my name ain't "huzzah" but I appreciate your noticing the shots. I will look for some eaglet shots posted this weekend, good luck.

---------- Post added 03-17-11 at 01:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Unlocker Quote
Went out for a red kite hunt again yesterday. Both of these cropped, 1 very heavily from 600mm
I love the action and motion implied in that second shot. Only a video clip could show more.
03-17-2011, 10:47 AM   #1557
Ira
Inactive Account

Remember boys and girls:

This Saturday night, the moon is going to be the closest to earth than it's been in 18 years--and it's going to be a FULL moon.
03-17-2011, 11:16 AM   #1558
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Obligatory sunset as I drove away from the Gulf near the Crystal River nuclear power plant. The smudge through the Sun is a thin line of couds. K5 and da18-135

After the only rain of the trip I found a pond with a small flock of Ibis (Ibises?). This guy was tentative about sticking his foot in the water but was soon rewarded with a meaty snack to eat instead of whatever the others were nibbling on.

.....and I finally found the Bluebird of happiness. This pair was scoping out a new house. K20D and A*400/2.8 + F1.7x
It seems from researching the sandhill crane that you probably captured a Florida Sandhill crane which is endangered due to habitat loss. The most common sandhill crane is one that they all were named for when first seen in Nebraska's sandhill along the North Platte river. That is where I first saw one when we lived in that area.
03-17-2011, 11:19 AM   #1559
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Remember boys and girls:

This Saturday night, the moon is going to be the closest to earth than it's been in 18 years--and it's going to be a FULL moon.
thanks Ira, if it's a clear sky i'll try a moon shot. I got a Sigma Pantel 300 mm f5.6 m42 as part of a kit recently ($25 cost average) (unfortunately it only shoots wide open time to learn to take one apart soon)
03-18-2011, 06:36 PM   #1560

My first proper moon shot at 600m earlier this evening!

Last edited by Unlocker; 03-20-2011 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Typo!
« DA* Club | - »