Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
and a couple images from my new toy, all handheld

03-23-2011, 02:55 PM   #1578
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
looks like I can barely join

I have the same lens! Mine has always turned out good images, as you found out based on your shared frames, at f5.6 to f11 and directed nowhere near to the sun. I do find it flares from the sun quite easily. The other drawback to it is sheer size and weight. I find it is not too good for really long distance shots but can be excellent for shots within it's focusing range and in great light. All that said I can not afford a better 300mm any time soon so this will remain my 300 prime MF lens and the Sigma 70-300 zoom my AF lens for the 300mm focal length. Images from the Tak 300 are better to much better than the Sigma zoom lens.
So Congratulations on buying a quality long telephoto lens. Now all you have to do is buy a great SMC 500mm lens. That will set you back some serious money. Happy shooting with your new "toy"(darn heavy toy made from actual metals) in your future.
Alan W.
03-23-2011, 02:58 PM   #1579
Veteran Member

and a couple images from my new toy, all handheld

Was the image of the cranes head taken at "Maximum Focal distance" or "Minimum Focusing Distance" and what f stop was used. The crane photo is the best of what you posted and I think you deserve an Atta Boy for that good image. Again,
Alan W.

03-23-2011, 03:48 PM   #1580
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kacansas03 Quote
Was the image of the cranes head taken at "Maximum Focal distance" or "Minimum Focusing Distance" and what f stop was used. The crane photo is the best of what you posted and I think you deserve an Atta Boy for that good image. Again,
Alan W.
I find the lens to do quite well at F/4 I have yet to stop it down past F/5.6 in actual shooting and have had no issue with sharpness

It was minimum focusing distance (never heard of someone refer "MFD" to the former).

Thank you
03-23-2011, 03:59 PM   #1581
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeatzee, some nice pics thanks for sharing - but what the heck is the bird in the 3rd one?? Based on the long legs, it looks like some sort of "wader", but the bill just doesn't fit??
03-23-2011, 04:43 PM   #1582
Veteran Member

I find the lens to do quite well at F/4 I have yet to stop it down past F/5.6 in actual shooting and have had no issue with sharpness

It was minimum focusing distance (never heard of someone refer "MFD" to the former).

Thank you
Yeah, you are probably right about prime lenses. I have seen MFD used when referring to a zoom lens at it's maximum focal distance but it would be more correct to refer to "MFL" as maximum focal length such as 300 on a 70 to 300 zoom lens. Then if I wish to get more confusing there is the old crop factor which so many lens companies used to refer to a 300mm actual focal length lens as a "450mm maximum" which is incorrect. It is only a crop of the frame taken at 300mm. If in PP you crop more and get a resulting enlargement I feel it is a totally different effect than the crop factor imposed by the sensor size. Oh well, I will quit rambling. Once again good luck with you neat new to you 300mm lens. I really like mine. I find it is one that I can use a 1.4X tele converter behind with success.
Alan W.

03-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #1583
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
Yeatzee, some nice pics thanks for sharing - but what the heck is the bird in the 3rd one?? Based on the long legs, it looks like some sort of "wader", but the bill just doesn't fit??
Your guess is as good as mine

QuoteOriginally posted by kacansas03 Quote
Yeah, you are probably right about prime lenses. I have seen MFD used when referring to a zoom lens at it's maximum focal distance but it would be more correct to refer to "MFL" as maximum focal length such as 300 on a 70 to 300 zoom lens. Then if I wish to get more confusing there is the old crop factor which so many lens companies used to refer to a 300mm actual focal length lens as a "450mm maximum" which is incorrect. It is only a crop of the frame taken at 300mm. If in PP you crop more and get a resulting enlargement I feel it is a totally different effect than the crop factor imposed by the sensor size. Oh well, I will quit rambling. Once again good luck with you neat new to you 300mm lens. I really like mine. I find it is one that I can use a 1.4X tele converter behind with success.
Alan W.
Oh ok, that makes sense. I ignore almost everything zoom related, as a prime man myself

Thanks, Im really glad this lens fell into my lap I would have NEVER purchased it online.... its just one of those things
03-24-2011, 02:33 PM   #1584
Site Supporter

looks like I can barely join
I'm sorry Yeatzee but the exclusive thread is for 300+mm, not 300mm. Come back when you get a 1.01x teleconverter...... Kidding of course. Very cool lens. I wonder if it loves the F1.7x TC as much as the da*300/4? Gee, when I was 17 we still had a black curtain over our heads and held a magnesium powder flash in the air. I can't begin to imagin what kind of gear you will be using in 40 years and maybe the Tak will still be in the bag.

I like the color, focus and exposure on the deer-like critter. Did you breed a duck with a Heron to get that wacky looking bird?
03-24-2011, 03:51 PM   #1585
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just a simple observation here but I don't see how MFD could be considered as Maximum distance. After all the definition of the lens focal length is done at infinity, which is undefined. There is no maximum distance specification
03-24-2011, 03:53 PM   #1586
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
that wacky looking bird
OMG, it's a Dodo! (or some relation)
03-24-2011, 03:56 PM   #1587
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
OMG, it's a Dodo! (or some relation)
No I don't think so. I believe the Dodo is a much fatter bird. That is one reason they died out so fast once humans discovered how to use a gun and found the poor things. However I ask if they were so dumb, as accounts at the time said, then why hadn't some other enterprising predator come along and killed them off or were they comparing their intelligence to the hunters????
03-24-2011, 04:21 PM   #1588
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Just a simple observation here but I don't see how MFD could be considered as Maximum distance. After all the definition of the lens focal length is done at infinity, which is undefined. There is no maximum distance specification
Yes, I agree and I thought I had explained I was thinking of Maximum focal length from zoom lenses. If I was not clear in explaining My mistake I hope this will help members understand that I made a mistake in what I wrote in that post.
Alan W.
03-24-2011, 08:36 PM   #1589
Veteran Member

Here's one of the gorilla at the wild animal park. This sucker turned around for no more than a minute, so this was the best I could get

@ F/4
03-24-2011, 09:02 PM   #1590
Veteran Member

Here's one of the gorilla at the wild animal park. This sucker turned around for no more than a minute, so this was the best I could get

@ F/4
I quite like this shot, yeatzee. Aside from the composition and processing - which are very nice - you've captured an interesting angle on the gorilla's face. We can't really see his eyes, just the brows, and I'm compelled to try guessing at what he's thinking from that tell-nothing smirk.