Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91913 Likes Search this Thread
03-20-2012, 05:06 PM   #3031
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Where's the Food?

Hi I haven't posted to the thread before - Here's one from my trusty old Takumar 300

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
03-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #3032
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
I get the same flack from my wife.

Fortunately the fun of using the M 400/5.6 trumps all such nonsense.

Keep shooting buddy.

Tom G
Thanks, Tom. Will do, and right back at ya.

QuoteOriginally posted by rkappleby Quote
Hi I haven't posted to the thread before - Here's one from my trusty old Takumar 300
There's something very right about this photo. I think it's the color, for starters.

Last edited by Designosophy; 03-20-2012 at 05:54 PM.
03-20-2012, 10:53 PM   #3033
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
FA* 300 Lens

03-21-2012, 06:01 PM   #3034
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jackassp Quote
FA* 300 Lens

Sharp and detailed shots of the birds.

03-21-2012, 06:03 PM   #3035
Pentaxian

Just 1 bird during a short shooting session yesterday evening with Sigma 500/F4.5.
500mm, F4.5, 1/1600s, ISO 200

03-21-2012, 06:22 PM   #3036
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kengoh Quote
Just 1 bird during a short shooting session yesterday evening with Sigma 500/F4.5.
Huh. It looks almost exactly like the bird was "cut out" of one background and placed onto another, or the background was masked and then blurred.
(Sorry if this sounds like a critique - I was a high-end fashion retoucher for 15 years and old habits die hard...)

Maybe its just the complimentary color contrast playing tricks with my eyes at this resolution. Very nice action shot anyhow!
03-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #3037
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
. It looks almost exactly like the bird was "cut out" of one background and placed onto another
my thoughts exactly, because the bird is rather noisy and the background doesn't have even the slightest hint of noise in it.

03-21-2012, 08:00 PM   #3038
Pentaxian

Huh. It looks almost exactly like the bird was "cut out" of one background and placed onto another, or the background was masked and then blurred.
(Sorry if this sounds like a critique - I was a high-end fashion retoucher for 15 years and old habits die hard...)

Maybe its just the complimentary color contrast playing tricks with my eyes at this resolution. Very nice action shot anyhow!
Thank panoguy, you are right, the background is a dull white/grey sky.
The bird is almost black. I just like this action shot so try ways to preserve this pic, can't hide from your yrs of high-end fashion retouching skills.

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
my thoughts exactly, because the bird is rather noisy and the background doesn't have even the slightest hint of noise in it.
Hi Digitalis, your observation is correct, the background is shot at iso80 while the bird is at iso200, after brightening up, it added noise to maybe >iso1600, making it pretty obvious.

Guess I need to re-shoot in the morning where the lighting is favorable at that timing.
03-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #3039
Pentaxian

The bird is almost black. I just like this action shot so try ways to preserve this pic, can't hide from your yrs of high-end fashion retouching skills.
It's an excellent moment in flight of a very colorful bird, so I would be trying just as hard to preserve it (although I'd struggle with the focus and tracking long before this - I'm not good at BIF).

It really wouldn't take that much to "integrate" the bird better with your chosen background... "Feather" (ha!) the mask around the body and slightly around the feet (but maybe not the beak) and "brush-out" the mask (more feathering done with a big, blurry brush) where the wingtips are in motion or at the bird's feathers edge, then brighten & desaturate (a lot) the area behind the upraised wing, and darken the area at the feet and tail.
Really, it's just about "selectively" lowering contrast and edge sharpness on the macro level... (easy for me to say, right?) and matching the expected backlighting for those luminous wing feathers.

Adding noise to your background might also help, but might not make as much of a difference since we almost expect to see smooth bokeh.

Well, anyhow, sorry I rambled... like I said, old habits die hard.
03-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #3040
Veteran Member

Hi Digitalis, your observation is correct, the background is shot at iso80 while the bird is at iso200, after brightening up, it added noise to maybe >iso1600, making it pretty obvious.

I have noticed something and a Canonite friend of mine reinforced this to me. If you started messing with the exposure in post processing, you will start creating noise. I keep my exposure right on the center unless I am shooting sunsets. When I used a Nikon I had to underexpose it about a click to two.

I don't know if you all know this, the K-5 utility can edit RAW images and it is quite handy as it has done a better job than letting my Photoshop edit the jpegs. Sooner or later I will probably purchase Lightroom.
03-22-2012, 04:03 AM   #3041
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guess I need to re-shoot in the morning where the lighting is favorable at that timing.
My compliments to the digitalis and panoguy who picked up this was a created image. Also to Kengoh for explaining how it was done. Maybe we should adapt the publishing approach of stating when an image has been seriously manipulated?
03-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #3042
Veteran Member

That is also very easily done with the blur brush though - just the outlines around the subject are a little more difficult - but it creates a buttery smooth bokeh without a hint of noise.
03-22-2012, 11:09 AM   #3043
Veteran Member

I was out yesterday with the DA*300 + Tamron x1.4 (420mm) and have to say that IQ wise that is a great combination, I think I only took the TC off once all day. AF is generally slow though and becomes very picky when the light drops.

It was a gorgeous sunny blue sky day .. the first for weeks it seems ! This is about a 50% crop or less. Minimal PP from RAW. The monkeys were about 40 yds (metres) away.

I was looking for a Manfrotto 393 a couple of days ago when I spotted and bought myself a Chinese imitation of a Wimberly that I've never seen before - not even on-line - (ca. $200 - that's quite a saving over the real thing !) and I wanted to give it a try on a thick, strong monopod I have. Works a dream and is a massive improvement over the ball-heads and the Manfrotto 410 I have. Even with the knobs loosened off a touch the lens remains firmly in place when hands off and without tightening up the knobs again.

I've bought it mainly for the Tokina 300/2.8 I've just bought from another PF shooter and think it should work great for that heavier lens, on either mono or tripod.

Last edited by Frogfish; 03-22-2012 at 11:35 AM.
03-22-2012, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #3044
Veteran Member

SMC Pentax M 400/5.6

Nothing as exotic as Kenny's stuff but we can only shoot the things we can find right?

A very hot early spring day for S. Ontario today. I saw the usual suspects down by the local pond: a Song Sparrow, Robin and a nesting Canada Goose.

Why is there always a twig in the way?

She blends well into her environment

All shots Pentax K5, Pentax M 400/5.6 - ISO 800 at f11~16, 1/1000th sec.

Tom G
03-22-2012, 02:28 PM   #3045
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
I spotted and bought myself a Chinese imitation of a Wimberly that I've never seen before - not even on-line - (ca. $200 - that's quite a saving over the real thing !) and I wanted to give it a try on a thick, strong monopod I have. Works a dream and is a massive improvement over the ball-heads and the Manfrotto 410 I have.
Do you have a link to the item or some photos and info so the rest of us can check it out?