Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91813 Likes Search this Thread
12-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #5656
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Skymist Quote
Thanks. But you can see what I mean. It's a mistake to set your lens for F/9 for sharpest picture, then shoot at 1/320th here. You can see some of the water droplets in motion, and their shape implies that 1/1000 or faster is mandatory for this kind of shot. Which the K-5 could easily have handled by going to ISO 800. I learned a lot from this one error. Next time I get a chance for a shot like this, I'll be ready.
TaV mode is sometimes the way to go. Let the ISO float, and set your aperture and shutter speed for what you need.

12-20-2012, 12:15 AM   #5657

Skymist

I am not a pro, although I have some time behind an eyepiece (1st SLR was 1977). My first impression when looking at your photo is not the critical aspect you ascribe. I see an asymmetry that conveys 3 dimensional aspect to the shot and the droplets convey the motion of the scene.

Many times one sees a "perfect" shot that looks like someone cut and pasted exactly perfect parts onto a palatte in perfectly boring 2 dimensions. Maybe I ascribe a different value and quality to a photo, but perfect is boring and for pixel peeping. You made a wonderful capture that I would be proud of having made and to heck with the "mistakes". I photograph for what is conveyed to me and hopefully others viewing. To those that want to be perfectionists and nit-pick, I say go on to the next "perfect" photo and leave me in my ignorance in my happy little non-perfect place.

JB
12-20-2012, 09:15 AM   #5658
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Take-5-JB Quote
I am not a pro, although I have some time behind an eyepiece (1st SLR was 1977). My first impression when looking at your photo is not the critical aspect you ascribe. I see an asymmetry that conveys 3 dimensional aspect to the shot and the droplets convey the motion of the scene.

Many times one sees a "perfect" shot that looks like someone cut and pasted exactly perfect parts onto a palatte in perfectly boring 2 dimensions. Maybe I ascribe a different value and quality to a photo, but perfect is boring and for pixel peeping. You made a wonderful capture that I would be proud of having made and to heck with the "mistakes". I photograph for what is conveyed to me and hopefully others viewing. To those that want to be perfectionists and nit-pick, I say go on to the next "perfect" photo and leave me in my ignorance in my happy little non-perfect place.

JB
Hi, What do you think about these three: crispness vs. blurriness?

12-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #5659

Snowy Egret with fish #2

I am not a pro, although I have some time behind an eyepiece (1st SLR was 1977). My first impression when looking at your photo is not the critical aspect you ascribe. I see an asymmetry that conveys 3 dimensional aspect to the shot and the droplets convey the motion of the scene. Many times one sees a "perfect" shot that looks like someone cut and pasted exactly perfect parts onto a palatte in perfectly boring 2 dimensions. Maybe I ascribe a different value and quality to a photo, but perfect is boring and for pixel peeping. You made a wonderful capture that I would be proud of having made and to heck with the "mistakes". I photograph for what is conveyed to me and hopefully others viewing. To those that want to be perfectionists and nit-pick, I say go on to the next "perfect" photo and leave me in my ignorance in my happy little non-perfect place. JB
Thanks for putting it into a more artistic (or journalistic?) perspective. I do tend to over stress over the technicals and let the composition slide. If this had been a UFO I was photographing, I would have been happy just to have gotten the shot. I should feel that way about any unposed, non still-life shot that conveys something. I couldn't toss that shot because of its being the exact moment I was seeking, and one other thing, the thing that gets me is the eyes. That bird has eyes that just say Madness. If that bird were 100 times its size, it would do well in a monster film, with eyes like those. (Hopefully slightly sharper focused...)

Here's the same bird, about 2 seconds later than the previous shot. With less motion, it's sharper, but maybe not as interesting. Here's where the Tamron just loses it, with the purple fringing in the water reflection, though. Same settings as previous shot, but heavily cropped.

12-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #5660
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks. That's about my rate too, thank goodness for digital media. I find at least half of the throwaways are bad focus. I often wonder if this would be better if I were using a Canon or Nikon camera. Any opinion on that?

Thanks stormtech. Yes I wish everyone posted as much detailed exposure, lens, and conditions info as possible. That's why I do it.
Thanks 8540Tomg and Dane.Dawg.

Here's a mystery Sandpiper. Despite my online searching I can't pin down its species. It's larger than the Least Sandpiper (about 6 inches). Perhaps it's a juvenile.
K-5 with handheld Bigma, AF & ME, F/6 at 1/750th, ISO 800, heavy overcast afternoon. In-camera jpeg conversion from raw.
no mystery

spotted sandpiper,

the key is the white between neck and shoulder
12-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #5661

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
no mystery
spotted sandpiper,
the key is the white between neck and shoulder
It fits! Non-breeding plumage, that's why I didn't see it at first.
Thanks!
12-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #5662
Veteran Member

Great photos Greyser. Do you mind telling us your first name?

12-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #5663
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It fits! Non-breeding plumage, that's why I didn't see it at first.
Thanks!
No problem.

I have put a thread as a placeholder in the birder's social club for future reference. If you aren't sure post questions here

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/groups/161-birding-group/2227-id-bird.html#gmessage26324
12-20-2012, 07:19 PM   #5664
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dane.dawg Quote
Great photos Greyser. Do you mind telling us your first name?
No problem. My PPG:

PENTAX : PENTAX Photo Gallery artist page
12-20-2012, 09:27 PM   #5665

QuoteOriginally posted by Greyser Quote
Hi, What do you think about these three: crispness vs. blurriness?

Greyser,

I sense this may be a test. I am degreed in Chemistry and Biology, not Art or Photography. I have spent a lot of my life in the outdoors and nature. So here goes.....

Photo 1 is a delight and I chuckled when I scrolled down to it. I am sure a drop or two are crisply in focus, but the blurring (wing tips, etc) gives me a sense of action. There is no eye to connect with, but that bird is happy to be alive at that moment. I think the photo is alive. Would it win an award? I don't know, but consider the Mona Lisa versus one of the Picasso females (say Nude, Green Leaves and a Bust). Which would win ... depends on the judges.

Photo 2 is great. I am a fool for good reflections and it is sharp. The droplets and ripple give action and keep it from looking like a museum mount. I like the fact that one can see into the water to the bottom and glimpse the feet. While there are no "landmarks" and surrounding points to contribute, or frame things, the visual dimensions give the eye alot to play with.

Photo 3 is interesting. The eye is a bit out of focus, but the feather detail is nice. With the bird perched on the partially submerged limb and showing great intensity, there is some drama created in the photo which makes me enjoy viewing it.

Ok. So much for my POV. Did I pass or fail the test?

JB
12-20-2012, 09:39 PM   #5666

Thanks for putting it into a more artistic (or journalistic?) perspective. I do tend to over stress over the technicals and let the composition slide. If this had been a UFO I was photographing, I would have been happy just to have gotten the shot. I should feel that way about any unposed, non still-life shot that conveys something. I couldn't toss that shot because of its being the exact moment I was seeking, and one other thing, the thing that gets me is the eyes. That bird has eyes that just say Madness. If that bird were 100 times its size, it would do well in a monster film, with eyes like those. (Hopefully slightly sharper focused...)

Here's the same bird, about 2 seconds later than the previous shot. With less motion, it's sharper, but maybe not as interesting. Here's where the Tamron just loses it, with the purple fringing in the water reflection, though. Same settings as previous shot, but heavily cropped.
Skymist,

I like the sunlight in the eye and the beak. You are right about the eyes. The intensity of the predatory birds should make us very happy they didn't evolve as 40-50 foot tall versions. There would be alot fewer mammals, including people running around.

JB
12-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #5667

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
No problem.

I have put a thread as a placeholder in the birder's social club for future reference. If you aren't sure post questions here

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/groups/161-birding-group/2227-id-bird.html#gmessage26324
Thanks, but it isn't letting me post there. Do I have to join a group first? Answer: yes.

Last edited by Skymist; 12-21-2012 at 08:59 PM. Reason: answer my own question.
12-21-2012, 12:38 AM   #5668
Veteran Member

Greyser,

I sense this may be a test.
There is no test. I have plenty of slightly off focus shots of water birds catching/holding/swallowing fish. Believe me, the sharp and crispy ones look better.

I am degreed in Chemistry and Biology, not Art or Photography. I have spent a lot of my life in the outdoors and nature.
I hold PhD in Material Sciences and what I do every day for living is far away from Art and Photography too. However, I'm so excited when I'm able to get a decent enough shot. I'm not sure what is it: a passion, hobby, or just a part of my life already. I'm pretty sure the majority of us here feel the same.

Photo 1 is a delight and I chuckled when I scrolled down to it. I am sure a drop or two are crisply in focus, but the blurring (wing tips, etc) gives me a sense of action. There is no eye to connect with, but that bird is happy to be alive at that moment. I think the photo is alive. Would it win an award? I don't know, but consider the Mona Lisa versus one of the Picasso females (say Nude, Green Leaves and a Bust). Which would win ... depends on the judges.

Photo 2 is great. I am a fool for good reflections and it is sharp. The droplets and ripple give action and keep it from looking like a museum mount. I like the fact that one can see into the water to the bottom and glimpse the feet. While there are no "landmarks" and surrounding points to contribute, or frame things, the visual dimensions give the eye alot to play with.

Photo 3 is interesting. The eye is a bit out of focus, but the feather detail is nice. With the bird perched on the partially submerged limb and showing great intensity, there is some drama created in the photo which makes me enjoy viewing it.

Ok. So much for my POV. Did I pass or fail the test?

JB
Thank you JB very much for the kind words. Believe it or not your thoughts are very similar to what I feel myself about these shots. Even #3. It is dreamier than the one which is focused at the beak-head-eye. I have this one two. It is more dynamic and sportier, I would say. For some reason I like the posted one here more.

There are two more similar shots:

12-21-2012, 08:12 AM   #5669
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Greyser- Nice capture on the top one! That fowl is defying gravity! Great timing!
12-21-2012, 08:48 AM   #5670
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Excellent shots and action on this page, folks!

Here's my contribution to the 'Birds fishing while splashing' topic.