Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91910 Likes Search this Thread
03-31-2014, 07:05 PM - 5 Likes   #11761
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fotogaffer Quote
We are in the thick of raptor migration here in Niagara. This is the first time I have had a chance to test out the K3 with the new Pentax TC on the DA 300. I am impressed, focus is just as if there was no TC on the lens, much improved over the performance of the Kenko I have! The images are pretty sharp too, and I am not appreciating any significant degradation in the image quality. Here are some shots of a Turkey Vulture. This guy was perched on a tree top just next to the brow of the escarpment I was walking along and let me get pretty close. Great shooting everyone!

Great photos of the turkey vulture. I thought they are all black but apparently not.

Here are a couple photos of the snowy owl a few minutes from my home. Shot with the Sigma 500 with a Vivitar 1.4x TC.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by swip; 03-31-2014 at 07:10 PM.
03-31-2014, 07:36 PM   #11762
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, great shots of the snowy owl!
03-31-2014, 08:06 PM   #11763
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swip Quote
Here are a couple photos of the snowy owl a few minutes from my home. Shot with the Sigma 500 with a Vivitar 1.4x TC.
What a beauty!
03-31-2014, 10:47 PM   #11764
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Wow, great shots of the snowy owl!
Gorgeous!

---------- Post added 03-31-14 at 10:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TonyTurley Quote
Actually, I think those images are quite special, and would be proud to have gotten them myself.
Thanks. But... So many obstructing branches, etc.

03-31-2014, 11:38 PM   #11765
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FreeSpirit9 Quote
These guys have a beautiful song.

I'm posting this 100% crop because I feel that I may have some front focus issues at 300mm. It looks to me that the box in front of the top bird is in better focus than the bird. I'm viewing my shots on a 15" laptop screen so its a bit of a challenge sometimes to get things spot on. There is some pp sharpening and curve tweeking.

Alternatively I shot too slow at 5.8, 320 iso100 and got camera shake. The two coffee's prior probably didn't help .

Any advice will be welcomed.

Original photo below

Cheers,
Thanks for this. I went to check out Butcherbirds on Youtube and found this one.

03-31-2014, 11:49 PM   #11766
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
And the 500mm f4.5! I found Waldo, that was a fun game!
Ah, didn`t see that one...teleparadise indeed! Too bad I just spend my entire savings on the new house

QuoteOriginally posted by fotogaffer Quote
We are in the thick of raptor migration here in Niagara. This is the first time I have had a chance to test out the K3 with the new Pentax TC on the DA 300. I am impressed, focus is just as if there was no TC on the lens, much improved over the performance of the Kenko I have! The images are pretty sharp too, and I am not appreciating any significant degradation in the image quality. Here are some shots of a Turkey Vulture. This guy was perched on a tree top just next to the brow of the escarpment I was walking along and let me get pretty close. Great shooting everyone!

@Jacco (TenZ.NL) Hearty congrats on your marriage and new home, exciting news for sure!!

Classic Profile

Proud Pose

Sniffing

Preening

Staring
Thanks, Don
Now you shots (superb, I might add) are the first fieldsamples I see of the new TC, and from what I can see the IQ is really great. How does the IQ hold up when pixelpeeping?

Great photos of the turkey vulture. I thought they are all black but apparently not.

Stunning images!
04-01-2014, 12:09 AM   #11767
Veteran Member

Great shooting everyone.

Vultures, Geese, Sandpipers, Owls, Kingfishers, et al.

Awesome shots.

---------- Post added 04-01-14 at 06:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
Drool...I think you mean the 300 F2.8 and the 600mm F4?

Hi guys, how are you all doing?
Man, I`ve been so busy (bought a house and got married) but since a week or 2 I`ve been sneaking outdoor to shoot spring
Got some catching up to do with you guys but here are some of the last 1,5 week.
Congratulations on your marriage and house.

Re: the lens. I did a thorough check and it is way over on front focus. -10 wouldn't do the trick of getting it right. It's going back tomorrow. Must have been ok with manual focus and the TC however as I got some good shot in. Problems showed up when I started using it as a 300mm.

Anyhow.... onwards we go!

Last edited by FreeSpirit9; 04-01-2014 at 01:21 AM.
04-01-2014, 06:09 AM   #11768
Pentaxian

Turkey Vulture and Red Tailed Hawk.

04-01-2014, 07:46 AM   #11769
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, Greyser. That's a great experience.
04-01-2014, 07:59 AM   #11770
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Wow, Greyser. That's a great experience.
Which one? Owls?
04-01-2014, 08:37 AM   #11771
Pentaxian

After years of lurking, I finally get to join this club with a recent DA*300 purchase from the marketplace. Expect lots of pics of hummingbirds, chickadees and my cat's nose. Hopefully it'll stop raining soon......
04-01-2014, 10:13 AM - 3 Likes   #11772
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FreeSpirit9 Quote
Congratulations on your marriage and house.
Thank you too, Freespirit
Did you test on a chart allready? Because I wouldn`t rely on your posted shot because that in that particulair example could be very well a case of missfocussing as the box is very close and in front of the bird.

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Turkey Vulture and Red Tailed Hawk.
Nice captures, Derek.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
After years of lurking, I finally get to join this club with a recent DA*300 purchase from the marketplace. Expect lots of pics of hummingbirds, chickadees and my cat's nose. Hopefully it'll stop raining soon......
Why, don`t you know your DA*300 is WR (actually AW)?

My entry for today:

04-01-2014, 10:35 AM   #11773
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
Hopefully it'll stop raining soon......
Check out the Canada Goose above!
04-01-2014, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #11774
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Why, don`t you know your DA*300 is WR (actually AW)?
yeah, yeah......

I'm from california- I don't go out in the rain if I can help it.
04-01-2014, 02:13 PM   #11775
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That looks awesome fotogapher, and what's this about a raptor migration.... why wasn't I informed? I wonder if the 300 would work with my F 1.7 TC. My A-400 @ƒ5.6 suffers from lack of light, my 60-250 seems Ok with it though. I shouldn't even think about it though. What I should be thinking about would be a FA* 300, 2.8. Of course the cost of the divorce would be double the price of the lens, and neither would be cheap.
Thanks Norm. Here is a link to the Niagara Peninsula Hawkwatch -
Niagara Peninsula Hawkwatch - Welcome!
Every spring we are blessed with a migration along the escarpment!

Great photos of the turkey vulture. I thought they are all black but apparently not

Thanks swip. Great Snowy shots -surprised they are still hanging around.

QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
Ah, didn`t see that one...teleparadise indeed! Too bad I just spend my entire savings on the new house

Thanks, Don
Now you shots (superb, I might add) are the first fieldsamples I see of the new TC, and from what I can see the IQ is really great. How does the IQ hold up when pixelpeeping?

Stunning images!
Thanks Jacco. I guess I will find out how the IQ holds up at pixel peeping when I start shooting smaller birds when they arrive and I have to crop some more than I did with these bold vultures.

Some shots of the vultures in flight - VIF! Again, all taken with the K3, Da 300 and 1.4X TC.

Incoming

Overhead Profile

Dead Ahead

Fingers