Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Warbler and Blackbird in the rain.

04-27-2014, 11:31 AM   #12108
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 6878dodge Quote
. . . not overly impressed with it at long distance but it seems pretty good at closer range, . . .
That's an often overlooked factor in tele lens performance -- especially the older M42, K-, M-, A- version lenses. IME, many of the medium to long FL lenses (say 135 - 500mm) of ALL brands are more satisfactory when used with either near or far subjects. Given the design tools and optical materials of nearly half a century ago I don't find it surprising that optical formulas might have been optimized for "portrait" or "distant" use -- and economical consumer lenses have similar limits and compromises too. The older reviews often reflect that opinion too. (The popular Pentax 135's generally seemed best used for the near distance applications (say out to the 12-18 ft 'portrait' distance) and seemed to play well with extension tubes as well.)

I once had nine 135mm primes and zooms of various brands and ages in hand at the same time and the spare time to compare 'em. I quickly sorted 'em into near distance (sort'a "macro", medium distance "portrait", or long distance "telescopic" categories). When used for their apparent designed purpose, most produced satisfactory results relative to their age.

Interestingly, I also found that TC's used with tele lenses tended to group in the same category of applications and age -- some significantly better for 'close-up' use than 'birding' -- and matching up the 'age' of the designs seemed to help as well, e.g., M42 with M42 lenses, etc. The Pentax AF 1.4x TC was a waste of time with a rather good M 300/4, for instance.

Last edited by pacerr; 04-27-2014 at 11:36 AM.
04-27-2014, 02:00 PM   #12109
Veteran Member

Vintage TC's

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Interestingly, I also found that TC's used with tele lenses tended to group in the same category of applications and age -- some significantly better for 'close-up' use than 'birding' -- and matching up the 'age' of the designs seemed to help as well, e.g., M42 with M42 lenses, etc. The Pentax AF 1.4x TC was a waste of time with a rather good M 300/4, for instance.
That's a really interesting comment about compatibility between optics. It is quite logical and perhaps very correct to assume that there are better compatibilities between optics of similar vintage and manufacture. Eg some older coatings may show some incompatibility with some modern coatings.

Tough job to catalogue that one!

I like my combo of an old TC with a new lens. I'm happy with my image qualities @ 600mm, still lots of room left to develop my skills here. And sure, I'd like a 500 or 600 prime but I can't justify the acquisition of such a beast right now.

Cheers and have a great week all.

04-27-2014, 02:18 PM   #12110

The only long lens i have that is small enough to take on a vacation is my tokina 500 mirror. A dog to focus but no way to get closer to these birds so i'm happy i took it...

Last edited by schj; 04-27-2014 at 02:29 PM. Reason: hmmm dropbox link does not seem to work. fixed
04-27-2014, 03:16 PM   #12111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
These are from today with the DA*300 and HD 1.4x TC.
Coopers Hawk

Acorn Woodpecker

Western Bluebird
Nice shooting, Larry. Are they taken with Q7?
04-27-2014, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #12112
Pentaxian

Wet day, but the wild flowers are coming up. DA*300 with tc.

04-27-2014, 04:01 PM - 5 Likes   #12113
Veteran Member

A few more from today.

Last edited by dane.dawg; 04-27-2014 at 04:07 PM.
04-27-2014, 04:10 PM   #12114
Pentaxian

Nice!
04-27-2014, 08:34 PM   #12115

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Ruby crowned kinglet. Flash with beamer. This will take some work. It was early morning so the flash made it possible, but the exposure using pttl was not adequate. This was manual flash settings.
Very nice. I have been researching adding a beamer and flash. Right now I only have on board flash of my K-3. Interesting enough I shot a Ruby crowned kinglet also, but with the on board flash and DA*300 with DA 1.4tc earlier this week when it was grey and cloudy to see if it would help. My first shot worked well

And it really brought out the color of the eyes and I believe feather detail. Most of my other shots were over exposed, it is going to take some work. It is something that I am definitely interesting in pursuing now.
04-27-2014, 11:13 PM - 2 Likes   #12116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great photos everyone!
QuoteOriginally posted by dane.dawg Quote
Warbler and Blackbird in the rain.
Nice Travis, I should go out more often in the rain, the ambiance is great !

Went to a GBH Nesting area today...

Herons were maybe ~200~250 ft away (at least)
although it was cloudy, I tested a couple of vintage TC's with my big FA* 250-600 f5.6 lens, since the subject were pretty static... (pics not cropped, except maybe those on in Portrait mode, but they were just cropped on the sides...All photos PP in LR5 as I use to do...)

No TC (no flash extender)

No TC

The next 2 ones With Pentax Rear Converter-A 1.4x-L

1.4x TC with flash extender

this one with the Pentax Rear Converter-A 2x-L
(no flash)

The results are not bad, but I observe a more "grainy" result as the TC is greater focal
the vertical ones without TC and with the 1.4x seems similar, but I had to reduce the zoom on the one with the 1.4x TC to frame the entire GBHs (hope you understand what I mean).

Other ducks that were kind enough to let me take a photo from a reasonable distance...

The challenge with the TC's was to have them in focus... since they are manual focus only...

after a couple of tries thru the viewfinder, I decided to work with LiveView's focus peaking (On the K-3)... I was not sure how this worked while I was in the field, but I think I did it right, because most of them were pretty on focus (I don't remember which ones were using that technique)...

I should be more systematic to compare all these variables, and maybe better to do that in a really sunny day... another project !

Sc

Last edited by Weevil; 04-28-2014 at 06:11 AM.
04-28-2014, 02:55 AM   #12117
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Wet day, but the wild flowers are coming up. DA*300 with tc.

Cool ant!
04-28-2014, 05:11 AM   #12118
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
Lovely shots!
04-28-2014, 06:53 AM   #12119
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great photos everyone!

although it was cloudy, I tested a couple of vintage TC's with my big FA* 250-600 f5.6 lens, since the subject were pretty static... (pics not cropped, except maybe those on in Portrait mode, but they were just cropped on the sides...All photos PP in LR5 as I use to do...)

No TC (no flash extender)

No TC

The next 2 ones With Pentax Rear Converter-A 1.4x-L

this one with the Pentax Rear Converter-A 2x-L
(no flash)

The results are not bad, but I observe a more "grainy" result as the TC is greater focal
the vertical ones without TC and with the 1.4x seems similar, but I had to reduce the zoom on the one with the 1.4x TC to frame the entire GBHs (hope you understand what I mean).

Other ducks that were kind enough to let me take a photo from a reasonable distance...

The challenge with the TC's was to have them in focus... since they are manual focus only...

after a couple of tries thru the viewfinder, I decided to work with LiveView's focus peaking (On the K-3)... I was not sure how this worked while I was in the field, but I think I did it right, because most of them were pretty on focus (I don't remember which ones were using that technique)...

I should be more systematic to compare all these variables, and maybe better to do that in a really sunny day... another project !

Sc
awesome shots!!
04-28-2014, 07:11 AM   #12120
Pentaxian

Great photos everyone!

Sc
Great shots. I love shooting in the rain. Of course if I didn't go out in the rain I wouldn't be out much....