QuoteOriginally posted by rwingsfan Quote
feeble attempts
Not hardly.

06-19-2014, 11:12 AM   #12707
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My hummers
I have been shooting hummers with flash (lots of them) but when it comes to capturing the colours of the iridescent gorgets I do prefer the natural lighting - nice job.
06-19-2014, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #12708

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Feeble attempts? The first shot in particular is brilliant! The last one is blurred, but considering the circumstances that's probably not surprising.

Hey thanks I appreciate that. Compared to what I see many that post here I consider my attempts...well, feeble Anyway I am totally enamored with wildlife photography and Hummers and Raptors in particular. I just got into the hobby around a year ago and have been enjoying it immensely. I like to catch hummers with natural light as I would not even know how to capture them with flash. They visited my feeders quite a lot during the spring migration, now I seem to have just a resident few. Usually the fall migration is much busier. The last shot was very difficult, low light and having trouble zeroing in the focus. I love my DA*300 but sometime I wish it were faster!

Last edited by rwingsfan; 06-19-2014 at 08:25 PM.
06-19-2014, 04:17 PM   #12709
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Greyser Quote
Very nice, Ken.
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Yep, you've inspired me to try for in-flight shots along similar lines but without success so far.
QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
great shot ken!! what is in its mouth
Thanks Greyser, dadipentak and Amy for the ncie comments.
Amy those are fruits from some fruit trees.

06-19-2014, 05:20 PM   #12710
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Here are my feeble attempts
Wow! Great shots.
06-19-2014, 06:17 PM - 6 Likes   #12711
Pentaxian

Oriental White Eye

06-19-2014, 07:22 PM   #12712
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Hey thanks I appreciate that. Compared to what I see many that post here I consider my attempts...well feeble Anyway I am totally enamored with wildlife photography and Hummers and Raptors in particular. I just got into the hobby around a year ago and have been enjoying it immensely. I like to catch hummers with natural light as I would not even know how to capture them with flash. They visited my feeders quite a lot during the spring migration, now I seem to have just a resident few. Usually the fall migration is much busier. The last shot was very difficult, low light and having trouble zeroing in the focus. I love my DA*300 but sometime I wish it were faster!
As long as you're having fun with it, that's the main thing! Sure the DA*300 isn't perfect, but it's certainly the best lens I have. I'm still waiting for Pentax Australia to offer a discount on the TC, because the results I'm seeing from it combined with the DA*300 on the forum are impressive.

06-19-2014, 07:57 PM - 7 Likes   #12713
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Great Termite Party

I lucked into an interesting event at the Old Dead Oak yesterday--the termite hatch. Actually, while the bird action seemed restricted to the tree, the hatch seemed ubiquitous: termites were streaming out of the woods by the hundreds of thousands (I'll bet the pest control companies were swamped by calls from panicked neighbors.) Interestingly, the only birds who participated in the feast were waxwings and swallows--no phoebes, gnat-catchers or woodpeckers.

Despairing of catching a feeding swallow in flight, I focused my attention on the waxwings (which are kind of exotic to my mind--I didn't see one until a couple of years ago and can't recall any mention of them by the family birders of my youth.) Besides, they're interesting birds to photograph: gorgeous in some photos, totally goony in others. And then there's the challenge of the burnished plumage....

So here's some of what I got:

Last edited by dadipentak; 06-20-2014 at 12:32 PM.
06-19-2014, 08:20 PM   #12714

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I lucked into an interesting event at the Old Dead Oak yesterday--the termite hatch. Actually, while the bird action seemed restricted to the tree, the hatch seemed ubiquitous: termites were streaming out of the woods by the hundreds of thousands (I'll bet the pest control companies were swamped by calls from panicked neighbors.) Interestingly, the only birds who participated in the feast were waxwings and swallows--no phoebes, gnat-catchers or woodpeckers.

Despairing of catching a feeding swallow in flight, I focused my attention on the waxwings (which are kind of exotic to my mind--I didn't see one until a couple of years ago and can't recall any mention of them by the family birders of my youth.) Besides, they're interesting birds to photograph: gorgeous in some photos, totally goony in others. And then there's the challenge of the burnished plumage....

So here's some of what I got:

Ah those waxwings are just awesome. I love seeing birds we do not have in our area. Great shots too.

---------- Post added 06-19-14 at 10:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
As long as you're having fun with it, that's the main thing! Sure the DA*300 isn't perfect, but it's certainly the best lens I have. I'm still waiting for Pentax Australia to offer a discount on the TC, because the results I'm seeing from it combined with the DA*300 on the forum are impressive.

Oh make no mistake the DA*300 is not only my best lens, but also my favorite. Sometimes though it just does not want to lock in especially in lower light or when there are many branches involved. All in all though I would not trade it for anything. I too am waiting for the 1.4X to drop just a little before I make the jump. And yes being retired taking pictures of critters has filled a gap for me that I totally enjoy
06-19-2014, 10:36 PM   #12715
Veteran Member

@dunerunner, thanks! They are interesting for sure. They look funny but darn if they don't disappear when they get in some tall grass and sagebrush.
06-19-2014, 11:40 PM - 4 Likes   #12716
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
First try with hummers

I recently got the K-3 and HD 1.4 and am using them with my F*300. I am blown away with the level of detail I am getting! I want to try again with a better background, a bit of flash, and get closer. Just got the "Better Beamer" for my Sigma 530 DGS and am trying to figure out HSS (never done it before and am challenged!)

The images you guys are posting are just amazing-What an inspiration!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
06-20-2014, 05:02 AM   #12717
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by seadog Quote
I recently got the K-3 and HD 1.4 and am using them with my F*300. I am blown away with the level of detail I am getting! I want to try again with a better background, a bit of flash, and get closer. Just got the "Better Beamer" for my Sigma 530 DGS and am trying to figure out HSS (never done it before and am challenged!)

Good set, love the last one!
06-20-2014, 05:43 AM - 5 Likes   #12718
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by seadog Quote

i love the last one too!!

---------- Post added 06-20-14 at 07:57 AM ----------

a few from last weekend

the snapper isn't with the long lens but still thought he was cool

06-20-2014, 08:34 AM - 6 Likes   #12719
Pentaxian

Great shooting folks
Here are a few from my K-5/Sigma 500mm f4.5 EX DG/Sigma EF-610 DG Super

06-20-2014, 08:49 AM   #12720
Pentaxian

Nice Gary.