Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91913 Likes Search this Thread
01-26-2015, 01:51 AM   #15121

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ok thanks for that info was a good read. i did as you suggested and took some photos of a brick wall. was done between rain showers so i not as diligent as i would have liked overcast day i bumped up the iso to 200 still only 320 of a sec i think im not sure that it is the teleconverter i have included 2 pics for your perusal i think it may have been my tripod and a windy night maybe
the top photo is with the 2 times converter the bottom is just the 300 mm f4 wasn't as easy as i thought to get critical focus i think the top photo might be a hair off as i couldn't get the confirmation beep not sure why. even with live view i was struggling i had a towel on top of a steel 44 gallon drum i got the beep with the bottom one however. both pics taken from the same spot i think i'll investigate a different head and studier tripod on a sunny day before i rule anything out i think

Attached Images

Last edited by chardie; 01-26-2015 at 02:14 AM.
01-26-2015, 07:41 AM   #15122
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chardie Quote
wasn't as easy as i thought to get critical focus i think the top photo might be a hair off
Aye thats the game. Focus confirm only works for objects in centre of VF with MF lenses. I find its generally pretty spot on but may not necessarily coincide with my eye. if you're not sure, take a number of shots reocussing each time and pick the best, or deliberately "focus bracket". And use 2 secs mirror lock up of course (I was using my adaptall 200-500mm with some slow shtter speeds 1/50-1/200th at 500mm, resting on a bean bag and a remote shutter with no delay and was amazed at how the vibration transmitted down the lens was blurring some of the pics.... more about this eg here update and here).

QuoteOriginally posted by chardie Quote
i had a towel on top of a steel 44 gallon drum
Ziplock bag full of sand/fine gravel/rice better.

Pics look Ok, my impression is that the tc would pass the basic test of pulling in more detail than the lens alone, but the overall IQ (reflecting my experience with 2x tc's ) tending to disappoint. Just no substitute for getting closer and filling more of the frame with your subject (but often of course you can't...)

Last edited by marcusBMG; 01-26-2015 at 08:05 AM.
01-26-2015, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #15123
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Any idea how it happened? Is it DIY repairable?
All that's missing is the little gold contact plate, it's on a tiny assembly held in place by two screws. It's probably like a 15$ part. Or might be a DiY repair if I had some copper or gold sheet of the right dimensions. If I could order the part it would be a snap.
01-26-2015, 09:04 AM - 4 Likes   #15124

My first one for this thread. DA*300 + 1.7 TC

Bar-Headed geese. They fly over Himalayas to visit India

We fly over the Himalayas
by $udhakar, on Flickr

Last edited by Sudhakar; 01-26-2015 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Edited image URL issue
01-26-2015, 10:07 AM - 5 Likes   #15125
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Some interlopers in the yard today, checking out the bird action. (K-3, Tamron 1.4x & FA*300/2.8)

01-26-2015, 10:55 AM   #15126
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Some interlopers in the yard today
Hi Dave - It looks like that little fox is suffering from mange which is pretty tough on the animal - it would be nice if something could be done to help the animal out, from what I understand it is very uncomfortable and they continuously scratch themselves. Hey-whats that white stuff I see - we have spring going on here.
By the way I couldn't be happier with that 500
01-26-2015, 11:45 AM   #15127
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
Attempted a few on the usual suspects-A 400/5.6 with Tamron 2x BBAR MC7 for the first time through glass storm door plus one w/o. Practice, practice, practice…………...
Lou, thanks for the picture along with the EXIF information. I like to read these in order to help me learn what others are shooting at. However I'm confused. You used a 400mm lens along with a 2X TC yet in the EXIF data it showed focal lengths between 450mm and 800mm. Is there something I'm missing?
Thanks, Bob

01-26-2015, 11:50 AM   #15128
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rkappleby Quote
Hi Dave - It looks like that little fox is suffering from mange which is pretty tough on the animal - it would be nice if something could be done to help the animal out, from what I understand it is very uncomfortable and they continuously scratch themselves. Hey-whats that white stuff I see - we have spring going on here.
By the way I couldn't be happier with that 500
Yeah, I thought he looked pretty scruffy but can't imagine what could be done exactly--I'm not about to try give him a bath. That white stuff is snow (you may be familiar with it ;~)--we're on the southern edge of "The Great Blizzard of 2015!" We'll probably get some moderate accumulation overnight but nothing like NY & MA. Thankfully, I don't have to be anywhere but indoors for the next few days. Glad to hear you're enjoying that Sigma.
01-26-2015, 12:34 PM - 3 Likes   #15129
Pentaxian

The A-400 isn't the sharpest lens in the bag, and when you put the 1.7 TC on it, well your expectations have to be lowered a little. Today was one of those "my kingdom for a 560mm ƒ5.6 lens" days. Anyway, I think the images look OK web sized, even if at 6000, 4000 they look somewhat lacking....

Man it was hard to find this guy. Good thing they sit still for a bit after they perch. Now I know what those guys with the 1000mm lenses on film used to go through. The 400 and 1.7 are a little more than that in equivalence.

Northern Shrike...

If you don't see the purple fringing in this image, fringing isn't something you need to worry about. You're immune to it's presence. Multiplying the image 1.7 times, also multiplies the fringing 1.7 times. There's purple branches on that tree, the whole branch got ate by fringing.

Last edited by normhead; 01-26-2015 at 12:40 PM.
01-26-2015, 12:57 PM   #15130
Pentaxian

Bob,
You're so right Bob. When adjusting the lens length the first time I had the TC on I set it on 800 for just a few shots, cut it off when my other half called and it obviously came up at the other ISO's when I didn't check it on the K-5. It's set on the K-3 but I was obviously careless not checking when I turned it back on. Thanks for the heads up and Norm is also very right on fringing as sometimes it's easier to convert to B/W than look at the purple shorelines.
01-26-2015, 01:11 PM   #15131
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sudhakar Quote
My first one for this thread. DA*300 + 1.7 TC

Bar-Headed geese. They fly over Himalayas to visit India

We fly over the Himalayas
by $udhakar, on Flickr
Those are lovely. Great shot.
01-26-2015, 01:22 PM   #15132
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice shots of a great bird.
01-26-2015, 03:26 PM   #15133
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Man it was hard to find this guy
I looked that guy up it looks like he should be called the singing assassin. I bet the chickadee's are looking over their shoulders That last shot really shows him off well.
Robert
01-26-2015, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #15134
Pentaxian

Just to update.... we've been watching this guy concerned about his health, as in, is he getting any food?..... He pulled a mouse out of it's hole and flew off so, he's is getting fed. After he left we saw three more mice peek out. I hope he comes back tomorrow.

01-26-2015, 03:42 PM   #15135
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Shrikes know how to deal with winter. We occasionally get them here, we are pretty southerly for them. Last time we saw one was last winter and it was pretty cold with good snow cover. Definitely like a protein diet.