Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91913 Likes Search this Thread
02-16-2015, 03:49 PM - 5 Likes   #15436
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think it would be a cardinal really good idea to put an end to this.

I took a hint from Norm and shot through the window with the F*600. I dropped the EV too far so it was way underexposed but thought it was worth salvaging but it lost some IQ to shadow recovery. I may take another crack at it. I love the colors of female Cardinals in soft light.

02-16-2015, 04:54 PM - 9 Likes   #15437
Veteran Member

A few good ones from today

I haven't posted for a while. Still, I've been looking for the great shooting of others. Good job guys!

I finally got a few decent shots of Belted Kingfisher today and another fishing guy... Two images were shot about 1.5 hours apart. I believe it is the same Kingfisher got hungry again.

K-3 and Sigma 500/4.5 handheld as usual.

02-16-2015, 05:04 PM   #15438
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I think it would be a cardinal really good idea to put an end to this.
What the Duck!?

(okimdone)

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
lost some IQ to shadow recovery.
You could probably hide that with Photoshop. Great pic btw.

---------- Post added 02-16-15 at 06:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Greyser Quote
I haven't posted for a while. Still, I've been looking for the great shooting of others. Good job guys!

I finally got a few decent shots of Belted Kingfisher today and another fishing guy... Two images were shot about 1.5 hours apart. I believe it is the same Kingfisher got hungry again.

Great shots!
02-16-2015, 05:10 PM   #15439
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Let us know your experience with the video head. If it goes well I may give an old one I have a try. I use the aluminum version of your tripod. I opted for the Custom Brackets CB Gimbal for portability. I got it just prior to moving and I have not had enough time to evaluate the gimbal. Based on two short outings I am happy so far. The CB flash bracket designed for the CB Gimbal is superb compared to others I have used with the Better Beamer.

I do wish that more lenses incorporated the aiming sights on my K 500 4.5. With an 800 on a cropped body BIF must really be a challenge regardless of rig used.
I would appreciate any suggestions you and others have for aiming devices.
this flash bracket is very interesting!!

02-16-2015, 05:54 PM   #15440
Veteran Member

Awesome Greyser.
02-16-2015, 06:09 PM   #15441
Pentaxian

Very nice. I love the throw in the air trick, and you caught it.
02-16-2015, 06:10 PM   #15442

I finally got a few decent shots of Belted Kingfisher today and another fishing guy... Two images were shot about 1.5 hours apart. I believe it is the same Kingfisher got hungry again. K-3 and Sigma 500/4.5 handheld as usual.
Very nice. I have to figure out how to get such sharp shots handheld with my light(er) weight rig. I hate to even think of handholding your lens.

02-16-2015, 06:23 PM   #15443
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by entropy1 Quote
Very nice. I have to figure out how to get such sharp shots handheld with my light(er) weight rig. I hate to even think of handholding your lens.
It is not as bad as you think
02-16-2015, 06:43 PM   #15444

It is not as bad as you think
Darn - then I'll just have to keep thinking of how much I'd hate paying for that lens.
02-16-2015, 06:50 PM   #15445
Veteran Member

Darn - then I'll just have to keep thinking of how much I'd hate paying for that lens.
Don't worry. It is only $5K. My take - every penny worth it! You may go for DA 560/5.6 though. However, it is a very different beast!
02-16-2015, 07:03 PM   #15446
Veteran Member

Don't worry. It is only $5K. My take - every penny worth it! You may go for DA 560/5.6 though. However, it is a very different beast!
Have you used both the Sigma 500 and the DA 560?

---------- Post added 02-16-15 at 08:24 PM ----------

I don't have anything over 420mm, but all of my shots are hand held. I use the DA 300* by itself and with the 1.4 HD TC (420mm).
I use Continuous Drive Mode on high (burst mode). The idea behind burst mode is this. Let's say I hold the shutter button down for 3 frames. The first frame could have motion blur from me pushing the button down. The last frame could have motion blur from me releasing the button. The middle frame should have no movement since you've already pressed the button on the first frame and aren't going to release it yet on this frame. Get what I am saying?

Even with that said, sometimes the first shot or last shot turns out the be the sharpest.
02-16-2015, 08:09 PM   #15447

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
I don't have anything over 420mm, but all of my shots are hand held. I use the DA 300* by itself and with the 1.4 HD TC (420mm). I use Continuous Drive Mode on high (burst mode). The idea behind burst mode is this. Let's say I hold the shutter button down for 3 frames. The first frame could have motion blur from me pushing the button down. The last frame could have motion blur from me releasing the button. The middle frame should have no movement since you've already pressed the button on the first frame and aren't going to release it yet on this frame. Get what I am saying? Even with that said, sometimes the first shot or last shot turns out the be the sharpest.
Yes, thanks! I do use continuous drive mode on high, except when I screw up. (And I appreciate someone describing their user mode settings a while back - I tried that this time and it helped some.) Maybe I need new hands, not a new lens. I should also check and see if my Sigma needs any focus adjustment set and whether I really do better without the TC to get more light/faster exposures. And I need to try turning off SR when I am using a tripod. But I'm back in MA, imprisoned by snow at present, with windows too dirty to shoot through.
02-16-2015, 10:06 PM - 3 Likes   #15448
Pentaxian

I went out to try to find a Great Horned owl that was hooting, and pointed the 500mm towards Jupiter. Beautiful clear night and was surprised that I could see the moons.

This eagle was setting up a nest.

02-16-2015, 10:07 PM   #15449
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great shots ! Was this a "flip the fish" contest ?
02-16-2015, 10:40 PM - 1 Like   #15450
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Have you used both the Sigma 500 and the DA 560?

---------- Post added 02-16-15 at 08:24 PM ----------

Not quite. I had a chance to have both but did not use it. The 560/5.6 may be a bit sharper. However, Sigma 500/4.5 is more compact, has more pleasant bokeh and better MFD.