Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2015, 04:32 AM   #15766
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Okay, these are my first pix on the forum. I'm an old dog trying to learn new tricks with my first DSLR. These were taken on Galveston Island during a very foggy weekend. All were taken with the K-5IIs and a Pentax 55-300 mm zoom.

Your comments are welcome - particularly constructive ones.
I only have a positive comment - those shots were taken under very difficult light conditions and I think they are great! Nice detail and contrast without blowing out the background - tough job with fog and a very light background.

03-06-2015, 05:40 AM   #15767
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
stuck indoors waiting for the snow the thaw...
again
03-06-2015, 06:03 AM   #15768
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's one more from the foggy weekend in Galveston. I saw this guy as my wife and I were walking the beach. I know it is a lot of gray, but this is what it was like. I offer two photos - one a crop; one the full picture. I put the cropped one on my website, but now I am thinking the full shot captures the day better. Thoughts?

BTW, for the old folks out there, we were in Galveston for two performers from the past - Hal Holbrook (at 90!) still doing his one-man Mark Twain. He is still fabulous. And Arlo Guthrie with his 50th anniversary tour with the iconic Alice's Restaurant. Nothing to do with photos, but great fun.

Fisherman in the Mist

Fisherman in the Mist (not cropped)

---------- Post added 03-06-15 at 07:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
Scarlet Ibises, Snowy Egrets:
Fantastic!

I would do anything to have seen that sight. We have snowy egrets here in Texas, but no scarlet ibis (just white and white-faced). That is just a magnificent grouping of two absolutely beautiful species. Thank you.
03-06-2015, 06:51 AM - 6 Likes   #15769
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
I like the 3rd shot the most. Simply perfect!
Thanks zzeitg...

Here are some more pics at the feeders and those of the snowly owls...

Bruant hudsonien / American Tree Sparrow [Spizella arborea]
by Curculion, on Flickr

Bruant hudsonien / American Tree Sparrow [Spizella arborea]
by Curculion, on Flickr

Harfang des neiges / Snowy Owl [Bubo scandiacus]
by Curculion, on Flickr

Harfang des neiges / Snowy Owl [Bubo scandiacus]
by Curculion, on Flickr

03-06-2015, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #15770
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
Nice ones everybody !
I finally got some time to go out and shoot last weekend. I drove 45 km to go at a park where a Great Owl was seen recently, but tough luck, it wasn't present. I spent some time at the feeders to catch some common birds...

On my way back, I saw a couple of snowly owls and was able to approach them (pics to come...)
I noticed there was something special about these pictures I had to check out the exif. ( PENTAX-FA* 250-600mm) Incredible shots, as good as I've ever seen them, Love the rendition in natural light, great stuff
03-06-2015, 09:11 AM   #15771
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Okay, these are my first pix on the forum. I'm an old dog trying to learn new tricks with my first DSLR. These were taken on Galveston Island during a very foggy weekend. All were taken with the K-5IIs and a Pentax 55-300 mm zoom.

Your comments are welcome - particularly constructive ones.

Loggeerhead Shrike

Piping Plover

Take Off

Strutting His Stuff

Laughing Gull
Not much to improve there. Your images are well exposed, in focus and interesting to look at. What else is there?

---------- Post added 2015-03-06 at 09:15 ----------

Here's one more from the foggy weekend in Galveston. I saw this guy as my wife and I were walking the beach. I know it is a lot of gray, but this is what it was like. I offer two photos - one a crop; one the full picture. I put the cropped one on my website, but now I am thinking the full shot captures the day better. Thoughts?

BTW, for the old folks out there, we were in Galveston for two performers from the past - Hal Holbrook (at 90!) still doing his one-man Mark Twain. He is still fabulous. And Arlo Guthrie with his 50th anniversary tour with the iconic Alice's Restaurant. Nothing to do with photos, but great fun.

Fisherman in the Mist

Fisherman in the Mist (not cropped)

---------- Post added 03-06-15 at 07:11 AM ----------

I like the (not cropped) version better, myself.
03-06-2015, 10:57 AM   #15772
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
just plain beautiful..
Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by halfspin Quote
I think you nailed it. Where in Florida?
The butterfly was at Viera Wetlands which is off I-95 in Central Florida and the Harrier was at Green Cay in Boynton Beach. Green Cay has received a lot of visitors in the past year. It's getting a bit obnoxious with a bunch of people who are just almost doing whatever they want. I will keep going there regardless.

03-06-2015, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #15773
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was furious when I put the pics on the PC. The dratted PKA adapter on the 200-500mm 31A had lost connectivity and instead of being at f9 I was at f5.6, with fringing to match! Thought the shutter speeds were suprisingly high. Need to learn to monitor the VF data even while concentrating hard on focussing...

Still, my best pics so far of a Coot.

And Mr and Mrs Wigeon (these were at f8).

100% crop. This was 1/800th, ASA800, f8

Last edited by marcusBMG; 03-07-2015 at 07:33 AM. Reason: added crop. 2 spelling
03-06-2015, 03:02 PM - 1 Like   #15774
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sudhakar Quote
"Scarlet Ibises, Snowy Egrets:" Love this combo shot.

Thanks - the light was fading fast and that was just after I had removed the T/C, so it was just the DA*300. Here are some ibises in flight:

The colour really is that stunning - it almost hurts your eyes. Seems to upset the autofocus as well!

AggieDad - there's lots you can do with that DA 55-300 - great shots!
03-06-2015, 03:42 PM - 7 Likes   #15775
Pentaxian

I had some great views of a Short Eared Owl that landed on a sea wall

03-06-2015, 05:30 PM   #15776
Veteran Member

Superb Gary.
How close did you get?
03-06-2015, 05:50 PM - 1 Like   #15777
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
I was furious when I put the pics on the PC. The dratted PKA adapter on the 200-500mm 31A had lost connectivity and instead of being at f9 I was at f5.6, with fringing to match! Thought the shutter speeds were suprisingly high. Need to learn to monitor the VF data even while concentrating hard on focussing...
I know the feeling, Marcus! I've been having problems with a Tamron lens not wanting to talk to the K-3. I'm also guilty of shooting sometimes without reviewing the VF indicators only to find that I forgot to lower the ISO (or raise it). Black birds are very hard to get decent images of; the camera wants to over expose. Well done on the Coot and Wigeon shots!

---------- Post added 07-03-15 at 11:53 AM ----------

Does this count as BIF?

Mine! Mine! Mine!
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

---------- Post added 07-03-15 at 11:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ducatigaz Quote
I wonder how its eye got injured? Reminds me of a "captive" owl; raised by people in Brisbane. He ended up with eye problems due to poor nutrition as a chick.

Yesterday I photographed this Dusky Moorhen - luckily it was more interesting in feeding than worrying about how close I was!

Dusky Moorhen

Last edited by RobG; 03-06-2015 at 06:08 PM.
03-06-2015, 06:13 PM   #15778
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ducatigaz Quote
Amazing photos as always, but I have to ask. What is up with the Owl's eyes? Is that normal with their vision, or does this one have a lazy eye?
03-06-2015, 06:19 PM   #15779
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I know the feeling, Marcus! I've been having problems with a Tamron lens not wanting to talk to the K-3. I'm also guilty of shooting sometimes without reviewing the VF indicators only to find that I forgot to lower the ISO (or raise it). Black birds are very hard to get decent images of; the camera wants to over expose. Well done on the Coot and Wigeon shots!

---------- Post added 07-03-15 at 11:53 AM ----------

Does this count as BIF?

Mine! Mine! Mine!

---------- Post added 07-03-15 at 11:55 AM ----------

I wonder how its eye got injured? Reminds me of a "captive" owl; raised by people in Brisbane. He ended up with eye problems due to poor nutrition as a chick.

Yesterday I photographed this Dusky Moorhen - luckily it was more interesting in feeding than worrying about how close I was!

Dusky Moorhen
So similar to the North American Common Gallinule...

I've been wondering what happened to this one for a year and a half.

03-06-2015, 08:10 PM - 1 Like   #15780
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Amazing photos as always, but I have to ask. What is up with the Owl's eyes? Is that normal with their vision, or does this one have a lazy eye?
It's not normal, and would severely impact the bird's stereo vision and ability to hunt.

---------- Post added 07-03-15 at 02:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
So similar to the North American Common Gallinule...
I've been wondering what happened to this one for a year and a half.
I'm sure that they have a common ancestor! There seems to be very little genetically between quite a few waterbirds - the Coot looks pretty much the same all over the world, for example.