Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91879 Likes Search this Thread
05-24-2015, 04:59 AM - 2 Likes   #16876
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Saw this little female blue wren and thought it was worth a shot: The result wasn't too bad, given the heavy crop required :
Impressive! Hey, you visited Canberra and didn't get in touch?

---------- Post added 24-05-15 at 10:01 PM ----------

Someone suggested Tav mode, and to be honest I'd never tried it, so I tried to take a few photos with it today. I was busily trying to photograph a Cormorant when I turned around and found this guy watching me!

Platypus
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

---------- Post added 24-05-15 at 10:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I realize these images weren't shot with a 300mm + lens, but those of you who post on this club forum seem to be the most knowledgeable about birds, so I'll ask my question here.

What's going on with these two sparrows? The one on the right gathered around and began making chirps and opening it's beak. Then, the other one began feeding it like it does to baby birds in the nest. I was told that two birds will often display this behavior when in courtship. Is that so, or is this a parent/fledgling couple and the young one is learning to forage for itself.... with a little help from mom/pop?
I've never heard of it as a courtship display, but it's possible that one bird was a fledgeling which the parent hadn't stopped feeding.

---------- Post added 24-05-15 at 10:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
I did a test tonight, I was shooting the moon again, but aimed at Jupiter, and got a reasonable shot of it where we can distinguish the rings...
High 1:1 crop....Taken with the FA*250-600 @840mm (600mm+ 1.4x HD TC) 1/160. ISO100, f9
Wow! That's amazing! I guess you're using a tracking mount, or was it the GPS? The moon shot is beautiful too! Oh to have a 600mm lens...

And here's the Cormorant. Please note that although I used a railing to steady this shot, the one of the Platypus was hand held at 1/40s using the DA*300 and 1.4TC!

Little Pied Cormorant
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

Last edited by RobG; 05-24-2015 at 06:26 AM.
05-24-2015, 07:47 AM   #16877
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Hey, you visited Canberra and didn't get in touch?
I was only there briefly. Maybe next time.

When I return, I will also revisit the Jerrabomberra wetlands again, with proper long lens. The bird watching hides they have setup in several locations around the wetlands looked very comfy, and there were plenty of birds around. One of the hides there is below. Certainly better than standing in the cold and rain.

Bird-watching hide on Flickr
05-24-2015, 08:00 AM   #16878
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Impressive! Hey, you visited Canberra and didn't get in touch? [COLOR=Silver]

Wow! That's amazing! I guess you're using a tracking mount, or was it the GPS? The moon shot is beautiful too! Oh to have a 600mm lens...
Thanks... no, no tracking mount neither GPS (I dont think the GPS works withs planets anyways?).
Next time I'll try with the Q10 on the 600mm... last night Saturn was in opposition and bright, but cant do it because of ovecast sky...

Went for a walk a little while ago to check out the Jerrabomberra wetlands in Canberra, so I just threw my little DA L 55-300 on the K-3. I left the DA*300 at home, about 1000km away, unfortunately.

The result wasn't too bad, given the heavy crop required :
Very good actually ! I am imressed too!
Was the SR on ?(just curious)

QuoteOriginally posted by dane.dawg Quote
My first photos ever of a Meadowlark.
Its funny since I spent the whole day walking with the Sigmonster and the best photos of the day where from the seat of my jeep with the 300mm.
Lovely!

QuoteOriginally posted by Ducatigaz Quote
It came from ebay,I've fitted a 70mm Arca Swiss clamp to it and I used some parts from an old CS-205 and a couple of gold plated springs
Thanks I'll do more research on this !
05-24-2015, 10:57 AM   #16879
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The result wasn't too bad, given the heavy crop required :
Are you kiddin' me? That's great!

Platypus by RobGeraghty, on Flickr
Wow, wow, wow--a Platypus!

05-24-2015, 11:23 AM   #16880
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Are you kiddin' me? That's great!

Wow, wow, wow--a Platypus!
I agree with both these sentiments.
05-24-2015, 02:44 PM   #16881
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I was only there briefly. Maybe next time.

When I return, I will also revisit the Jerrabomberra wetlands again, with proper long lens. The bird watching hides they have setup in several locations around the wetlands looked very comfy, and there were plenty of birds around. One of the hides there is below. Certainly better than standing in the cold and rain.
No worries, I was only stirring. Yep, the hides are good, although keep an eye out for Brown Snakes outside in the hot months.
05-24-2015, 02:48 PM - 6 Likes   #16882
Veteran Member

I wasnt very happy with the results from the Sigmonster yesterday and thought it was my technique, turned out it just needed a little front-focus adjustment.
Hummer-300mm

Rockstar, ruined was probably the wrong word to use.
Kingfishers are my nemesis and I only get a couple of chances a year to get somewhat close.
I was so excited till I got home and saw the photos on the computer then the disappointment set in.

Last edited by dane.dawg; 05-24-2015 at 03:16 PM.
05-24-2015, 03:19 PM   #16883
Veteran Member

Was the SR on ?
I usually leave it on, so I think yes. But at 1/750 the SR probably didn't have much work to do.

hides are good, although keep an eye out for Brown Snakes outside in the hot months.
Noted!! Brown snakes are the worst.

In the hides I felt a tension between bird photographers and bird watchers. It was clear that bird watchers don't like noisy, camera people, even if they are using a quiet camera like the K-3. Memo to self: never bring the K-x there
05-24-2015, 03:20 PM - 3 Likes   #16884
Pentaxian

K-3 DA* 60-250 +1.5 TC, 400 ISO, ƒ8, 1/500s

We went over to the Portage Store Restaurant for Lunch, and watched the prerequisite rookie dump into the cold water. On the way back we saw 4 moose, so here ya go, shooting moose, Algonquin Style.

Experienced photographer tries desperately to avoid photobombing my picture, not realizing, she was in my picture.

All in a day's work.
05-24-2015, 03:46 PM   #16885
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Noted!! Brown snakes are the worst.
A while back I saw a brown snake curled up in the sun on the doorstep of one of the hides.

QuoteQuote:
In the hides I felt a tension between bird photographers and bird watchers. It was clear that bird watchers don't like noisy, camera people, even if they are using a quiet camera like the K-3. Memo to self: never bring the K-x there
Which is ironic considering that the photographers are probably the keenest members of the Canberra Ornithological Group.

---------- Post added 25-05-15 at 08:51 AM ----------

Thanks... no, no tracking mount neither GPS (I dont think the GPS works withs planets anyways?).
Next time I'll try with the Q10 on the 600mm... last night Saturn was in opposition and bright, but cant do it because of overcast sky...
I'd have thought that over the space of a 30 second (or less) exposure, the only noticeable motion would be due to the rotation of the earth. What I'd wonder is whether the accuracy of motion of the SR system would work above a certain focal length, and what that focal length would be. It would be interesting to see the result with the Q! We keep getting high cirrus in the evening.
05-24-2015, 03:51 PM   #16886
Veteran Member

That must of been an amazing experience Norm, but I would imagine it would have been even better if it was just Tess and you there.

Last edited by dane.dawg; 05-24-2015 at 03:58 PM.
05-24-2015, 04:52 PM   #16887
Veteran Member

Bird(s) in flight...
How many do you see?

This morning at Assateague Island. The osprey I've been tracking has eluded my today, but I made the best of it regardless.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
05-24-2015, 06:00 PM   #16888
Pentaxian

That must of been an amazing experience Norm, but I would imagine it would have been even better if it was just Tess and you there.
These days I enjoy photographing the other photographers as much as I enjoy photographing the moose. But the other people don't really matter. The moose are habituated. These sessions were terminated when logging trucks or motorcycles went by on the highway. They don't seem to mind people, but loud noises they aren't familiar with send them back into the bush.
05-24-2015, 06:29 PM   #16889
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

We went over to the Portage Store Restaurant for Lunch, and watched the prerequisite rookie dump into the cold water. On the way back we saw 4 moose, so here ya go, shooting moose, Algonquin Style.

Experienced photographer tries desperately to avoid photobombing my picture, not realizing, she was in my picture.

All in a day's work.
and I thought that moose avoided people and that they were dangerous. This looks like a petting farm

---------- Post added 05-24-15 at 09:30 PM ----------

I wasnt very happy with the results from the Sigmonster yesterday and thought it was my technique, turned out it just needed a little front-focus adjustment.

Hummer-300mm

Rockstar, ruined was probably the wrong word to use.
Kingfishers are my nemesis and I only get a couple of chances a year to get somewhat close.
I was so excited till I got home and saw the photos on the computer then the disappointment set in.
Nice work Travis, I guess you're happy with the firmware
05-24-2015, 07:27 PM   #16890
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Great Bear this morning with the 150-500

Nice collection.

---------- Post added 05-24-15 at 10:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

All in a day's work.

Hi Norm, is this the right time of year to see them? I must go up there one of these day.