Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91893 Likes Search this Thread
01-03-2016, 08:14 PM - 1 Like   #19171
Pentaxian

A Dipper with two Kokanee eggs.

01-03-2016, 09:01 PM - 1 Like   #19172

Bedded Doe and Fawn I happened to spot from my deck. Back when the weather was kinder. DA*300

On the Mississippi River, Tundra Swan running for take off. With my normal setup DA*300 with 1.4X tc

Last couple of days on the deck, woodpeckers sharing the suet.

Female Downy

Red Bellied

The rare Pilated
01-03-2016, 09:11 PM - 1 Like   #19173
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice collection of images, Cold Iron. You saved the best one for last.
01-03-2016, 09:52 PM - 1 Like   #19174
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote

So you trigger the AF with the back button then trigger the shutter with the shutter release?
A good thread on the technique is: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/38-photographic-technique/236970-perfect-...everytime.html

01-03-2016, 11:56 PM   #19175
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Nice shots Norm! It was 60F here today but still too chilly for my old bones. Even the little Spanish doves were all fluffed up in the sun to keep warm.

rvannatta...Love that Towhee! I've only seen one of those around here a couple of times. I barely got a few quick shots of him.....

Regards!
it's my second time shooting Towhee's I got some shots. You can find my full inventory of Towhee shots on my Towhee page at Spotted Towhee There the photos will enlarge to full
screen or so. the two birds of the day are an interesting contrast. the Towhee seems the same accross north america
while the song sparrow has 25 to 50 subspecies that are hard to tell apart.....

But the secret of getting Towhee photos is ---don't put all the bird seed in the feeder.--- Throw a bunch of it on the ground.... They really don't seem to like feeders. I don't even
have a feeder. -- I have a table I throw the seed on and they won't go there either but the half of the feeding that goes on the ground gets attention.

The p ine squirrel comes out some of the time, in this cold weather, and the stellar jay's mob the place first thing in the morning along with the camp robbers particularly if you have
a bread crust or a hot cake for them. The Junko's stay out of the fray and around the edges until the Stellar's and camp robbers get their fill and then they clean up. The Towhee and
the song sparrow both seem to be on the clean up team with the Junkos
01-04-2016, 04:56 AM - 2 Likes   #19176
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Anhinga, not quite in focus, or perhaps blurred.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 01-29-2016 at 12:32 PM.
01-04-2016, 08:18 AM - 11 Likes   #19177
Pentaxian

2 woodpeckers shot with Sigma 500 F4.5 that are red headed but different specie.

I love this specie (Common Flameback Woodpecker shot with K3) for his hair style.

Laced Woodpecker shot with K5

01-04-2016, 09:02 AM   #19178
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
No ice yet, but the numbers of winter duck are building. Long-tailed Duck and Greater Scaup on Lake Ontario today.

Left my TC behind (the weather was very dull anyway) so these are all K-3, DA*300mm and cropped
I was in Toronto for the last couple of weeks and managed to go to the lake front the last couple of days. I did see some long tailed ducks and gadwalls but since I didn't take my long lens with me, no good photos.

Where were your ducks found?
01-04-2016, 09:51 AM - 3 Likes   #19179
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swip Quote
I was in Toronto for the last couple of weeks and managed to go to the lake front the last couple of days. I did see some long tailed ducks and gadwalls but since I didn't take my long lens with me, no good photos.

Where were your ducks found?
The pics were taken from the trail on the east side of the Humber Bay East Park. Sam Smith Park (further west) can also be good but actually my favourite Long - tailed Duck shooting spot is at the bailey bridge on the Leslie Street Spit (Tommy Thompson Park). It's a bit of a walk (or bike ride) to get there from the entrance and the park is only open on weekends and holidays, but I find I get the closest views there with the duck often swimming under the bridge then popping up close by in a feeding frenzy. It can vary and I haven't been there yet this winter - a lot depends on the ice cover which we don't have yet. All these parks can be good for Snowy Owls at this time of year as well.

Another pic from the most recent trip:

And a Snowy Owl at Sam Smith last winter that I have probably posted before:

01-04-2016, 10:16 AM   #19180
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
The pics were taken from the trail on the east side of the Humber Bay East Park. Sam Smith Park (further west) can also be good but actually my favourite Long - tailed Duck shooting spot is at the bailey bridge on the Leslie Street Spit (Tommy Thompson Park). It's a bit of a walk (or bike ride) to get there from the entrance and the park is only open on weekends and holidays, but I find I get the closest views there with the duck often swimming under the bridge then popping up close by in a feeding frenzy. It can vary and I haven't been there yet this winter - a lot depends on the ice cover which we don't have yet. All these parks can be good for Snowy Owls at this time of year as well.

Another pic from the most recent trip:

And a Snowy Owl at Sam Smith last winter that I have probably posted before:
Thanks for the information. I was actually at the Humber Bay Park too. I hope I will have time to check the other locales out when I visit next time.

Last edited by swip; 01-04-2016 at 10:22 AM.
01-04-2016, 11:12 AM - 6 Likes   #19181
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cooper's hawk (?)

Last edited by WPRESTO; 01-29-2016 at 12:32 PM.
01-04-2016, 12:03 PM   #19182
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is a very cool image of the Opossum! The rest of the images are to die for; is this the DA*300?
01-04-2016, 12:13 PM - 8 Likes   #19183
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Osprey

01-04-2016, 12:37 PM   #19184
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Cormorant
Anhinga?
01-04-2016, 02:05 PM - 2 Likes   #19185

Watched this Belted Kingfisher Hunt today, he would knock the head of the fish against the wire. The fish does not look happy
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo