Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2016, 02:59 PM - 2 Likes   #19876
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Finally got them!
Nice capture - personally I think they look better on the road with tire tread marks on them but this is a nice shot.

02-20-2016, 02:59 PM   #19877
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh you voyeur you!!
02-20-2016, 03:00 PM   #19878
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
personally I think they look better on the road with tire tread marks on them
Pssssst, don't tell Rupert...

BTW, they really prefer privacy,
it's not my first attempt to catch them. Luckily, I had DA300mm mounted on camera.
02-20-2016, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #19879
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
I've been thinking about this as well, and I am going to say no. I cannot see it replacing the K3 for me at this time. For the reasons you mentioned about fps and resolution, and because a longer lens (560) would be more beneficial to me at this point. Plus, I already have more than one K3 that I got with intentions of using until they are no longer worth selling. If I get a K1, it will be a compliment to the K3's that I already carry, but it won't be anytime soon. I'll let the first batch have it's run and let any of the problems get sorted. Then, I will wait and see how others are doing with theirs and decide if I want one then. It would be fun, but I would have more fun with longer glass.
I will buy a K-1 without getting ride of the K-3, but I don't expect that the reduced pixel count will be an adverse issue. a bigger sensor and the FA lenses that I have will likely lead me to attempt to get modestly larger images or at least
attempt to. I'm going to be frustrated wtih the DA 1.4xtc which is so wonderful now but I still have the old pentax manual ones on my bag (1.4x-L and 2x-L) My whole reason for buying the FF is an expectation of a little
better photo at least under some conditions, and if I didn't believe that there wouldn't be much purpose in upgrading.

02-20-2016, 03:20 PM - 2 Likes   #19880
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've been thinking about this as well, and I am going to say no. I cannot see it replacing the K3 for me at this time. For the reasons you mentioned about fps and resolution, and because a longer lens (560) would be more beneficial to me at this point. Plus, I already have more than one K3 that I got with intentions of using until they are no longer worth selling. If I get a K1, it will be a compliment to the K3's that I already carry, but it won't be anytime soon. I'll let the first batch have it's run and let any of the problems get sorted. Then, I will wait and see how others are doing with theirs and decide if I want one then. It would be fun, but I would have more fun with longer glass.
I will be waiting for the K-3 replacement. The price of the K-1 makes it very tempting but the marginal AF.C improvement the design shows means I will wait for a much improved AF.C / tracking capability. If the Forum review indicates that the K-1 AF.C / tracking performance is significantly improved - well that might be a game changer for me.
02-20-2016, 04:55 PM   #19881
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cold Iron Quote
If you're a deer, moose or dog they are a problem. It is a federal offense to shoot a wolf in Mn. Wi. or Mi. so if poachers do shoot they don't talk about it. It is called SSS, shoot shovel and shutup. I never have and don't know anyone that does. Have had a number of wolves close to me and the dog and not about to drop the gun for a camera.
You still haven't answered, how did they live together for 15,000 years before there was civilization? I know the answer could be, building roads helps wolves hunt, increasing their range by about double, but, nature left to itself balances itself out. It shouldn't take human intervention. Just a bit of patience. If there's one thing the Algoqnuin studies have shown it's hunting wolves doesn't change the size of the packs. The food supply is what increases and decreases the wolf population. Perhaps because wolves were eradicated there, Minnesota just needs a bit of time to get back into balance.
02-20-2016, 06:16 PM - 1 Like   #19882
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
how did they live together for 15,000 years before there was civilization?
When there are discussions regarding wolves and moose I always think of the Isle Royale study It has gone on for fifty years About The Project: Overview | The Wolves and Moose of Isle Royale It goes to show how little we know how it all works but unfortunately humans always seem to have a bearing in the outcome of things - if the wolves are really a problem in your area you could always feed them a dog with the pavro virus - that seems to work.

I'm starting to get fidgety - I sent my 500 in to Gentec for some minor repairs - they said it should take less than a week and that was more than a month ago - they say I'm in the "queue".....

02-20-2016, 06:16 PM   #19883
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Early in an ecology course I taught, I told students there was one key word for the majority of human approach to the natural world: MANAGEMENT. Humans, busy little monkeys that we are, simply cannot keep our hands off of anything. And once having the arrogance to believe that everything in the Universe centered upon and rotated around us, it's easy to believe that the natural world, functioning quite well for hundreds of millions of years on its own, cannot do so now except by human intervention - and management. Somehow we can make Nature "better."
02-20-2016, 07:28 PM - 2 Likes   #19884

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Finally got them!
That was quick timing LOL, they spend all of about one second doing that LOL. While these are red babies I expect to see some pics of gray babies soon

X2 right down to the owning 2 K3's right now. Ken does bring up a good point with the Sigma 500 being full frame compatible and low light, however despite having been in Singapore and the equator many times needing light as far North as I am now I want reach AND resolution. Isn't there a perfect solution yet?!
02-20-2016, 07:30 PM   #19885
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The NY DEC estimates the Moose population in NY to be between 500 to 800 animals. Which is remarkable considering the population was 0 before the 1980s. NY lists three mortality factors for Moose. Predation of calves by Black Bears and Coyotes. Eastern Coyotes cross bred with wolves on their way east, though they do not prey on adult Moose. Parasites, mainly brain worm. And vehicle collisions.

Of course the estimated population is really a guess. There is no standard procedure for measuring the population. To that end a study was started last year and 12 adult Moose were fitted with GPS trackers.
02-20-2016, 07:42 PM   #19886

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You still haven't answered, how did they live together for 15,000 years before there was civilization? I know the answer could be, building roads helps wolves hunt, increasing their range by about double, but, nature left to itself balances itself out. It shouldn't take human intervention. Just a bit of patience. If there's one thing the Algoqnuin studies have shown it's hunting wolves doesn't change the size of the packs. The food supply is what increases and decreases the wolf population. Perhaps because wolves were eradicated there, Minnesota just needs a bit of time to get back into balance.
Well you made an incorrect statement earlier that predators only kill the weak and old. Because that is what someone wrote in a textbook years ago and it is still thrown out as fact. The whitetail I posted was perfectly healthy. The wolf pack there kills a whitetail every 4 days like clockwork, the snow causes them to sink and they can't run. The wolf pack can stay on top of the snowpack and chase them down without problem. Snow gets deep enough the same happens to mature moose they can't defend themselves and kick when they are buried in snow.

I posted earlier about the same issue happening in Jasper National Park in Alberta. It is 4,000 square miles and they are down to 19 known moose. The biologist that they sent to spent a year with the moose calves observed 2 calves because that is where the problem is, they are not surviving. Out of the 2 calves he spent a year observing one lived, the other was killed by wolves. Statistically they don't have a lot of data points do they with only 19 Moose left? But it is a common problem that many of us have observed that actually spent time in the woods with them. May not be a problem North of 60 yet, but it is headed your way sooner than later. Just saying....
02-20-2016, 08:20 PM - 3 Likes   #19887
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well the sun finally came out today on a weekend. First time out since Christmas Day. Went out for walk with the k3 and DA*60-250 on my Tamron 1.4TC. Even in the bright sunlight the 60-250 seems sluggish with the Tamron TC. I wonder how much better it would perform with Pentax TC? These were all taken at 250 with the TC so a 350mm equivalent. All taken using manual focus since Auto was just too slow. I finally was able to capture a cardinal. I had to venture off the paved path and find a hiding spot in the woods.
---------- Post added 02-20-16 at 11:15 PM ----------
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by Scorpio71GR; 02-20-2016 at 09:16 PM.
02-20-2016, 09:15 PM   #19888
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I posted earlier about the same issue happening in Jasper National Park in Alberta. It is 4,000 square miles and they are down to 19 known moose.
Cold Iron I curious where you got the number 19 from I simply can't believe that - I am including a link from an Alberta Conservation study http://www.ab-conservation.com/go/default/assets/File/Programs/Wildlife/AUS/...-2013Final.pdf it shows some of the big game counts in various parts of the province and the Jasper numbers simply don't jive with what seems to be happening in the rest of the province. This study if from 2013 but you can see comparisons from previous counts.
02-20-2016, 09:16 PM   #19889
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Taken with my old relic left over from the film days. My old Tokina 400mm AF. I keep saying I am going to sell this lens but I have had it for many years and it is like an old friend.

02-20-2016, 09:17 PM   #19890
Veteran Member

Well you made an incorrect statement earlier that predators only kill the weak and old. Because that is what someone wrote in a textbook years ago and it is still thrown out as fact. The whitetail I posted was perfectly healthy. The wolf pack there kills a whitetail every 4 days like clockwork, the snow causes them to sink and they can't run. The wolf pack can stay on top of the snowpack and chase them down without problem. Snow gets deep enough the same happens to mature moose they can't defend themselves and kick when they are buried in snow.
Wouldn't that kind of fall under weak, with being stuck in the snow and defenseless? If there was no snow, would the wolf pack still go after that particular deer, or choose an easier target?

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
Well the sun finally came out today on a weekend. First time out since Christmas Day. Went out for walk with the k3 and DA*60-250 on my Tamron 1.4TC. Even in the bright sunlight the 60-250 seems sluggish with the Tamron TC. I wonder how much better it would perform with Pentax TC? These were all taken at 250 with the TC so a 350mm equivalent. All taken using manual focus since Auto was just too slow. I finally was able to capture a cardinal. I had to venture off the paved path and find a hiding spot in the woods.
Nice shots. Auto Focus in that situation would have given you a perfectly focused branch and a blurred bird anyways. I use AF to get me to the branches, then manual focus the rest of the way to the bird.
« *Macro* lens club | - »