Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2016, 09:07 PM - 11 Likes   #21811
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been trying to get a decent shot of a Yellow Warbler for three years - I'm pretty happy with this one

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
05-26-2016, 09:59 PM - 7 Likes   #21812
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
re waiting for a shot

I under stand that.

I've been trying to get a good shot of a black-headed grosbeak for some time, and tonight was my night. Not wonderful background, but at least a good pose of the bird.
taken with k3- f*-300-/f4.5 +da1.4x 1/320 @ 6.7 (effectively wide open) at ISO 6400) --- major cropping but otherwise little tweeking in photo shop.
Attached Images

05-27-2016, 05:12 AM   #21813
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Example of the K-1 resolution power

a couple folks asked me if I liked the K-1 so far, and if I was missing the reach of the APS-C sensor with my FA*250-600...

Well I like the K-1 so far… did not had much time to play with it, especially with my FA*250-600… but, I did tried it last w-e but the bird I was chasing (a Bobolink ) was not easily approachable.

However, when I looked at the image with a pixel peeping approach, and at 1:1 I was really impressed… event at ISO 1250

(see below, I did some screenshots to show you. No PP treatement on these images)

This looks promising!
Attached Images

05-27-2016, 05:21 AM   #21814
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
This looks promising!
Sure does! I may have to change my mind about the K-1...

05-27-2016, 05:23 AM   #21815
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rkappleby Quote
I've been trying to get a decent shot of a Yellow Warbler for three years - I'm pretty happy with this one
Sweet
05-27-2016, 05:36 AM   #21816
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
a couple folks asked me if I liked the K-1 so far, and if I was missing the reach of the APS-C sensor with my FA*250-600...

Well I like the K-1 so far… did not had much time to play with it, especially with my FA*250-600… but, I did tried it last w-e but the bird I was chasing (a Bobolink ) was not easily approachable.

This looks promising!
Thank you for posting this. I am looking forward to the PF review of the K-1, especially with regard to tracking in AF.C. I'd say this looks very promising.
05-27-2016, 06:16 AM   #21817
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Reach of APS-C Sensor

The K-1 does not change the "reach" of the lens, and the sensor does not increase the magnification of the lens. If this is what these people were referring to, then they are ignorant of what is happening in the camera. I am sure there is enough information on this forum and many other sites concerning the ASP-C "crop" sensor, but simply, the smaller sensor is just smaller, and taking a smaller portion of what the lens is actually providing. Take an image from a K-1, or any "full frame" sensor for that matter, and crop to give only 75% of the frame and you effectively have what the smaller sensor is providing. Heck, the K-1 does that IN CAMERA! Very helpful when you are using lenses designed for ASP-C and you can even over-ride this feature if you wish (I do so with a Sigma 10-20 zoom and can use the lens effectively down to 15mm in full frame mode)!

Regards,

BD

05-27-2016, 06:51 AM - 9 Likes   #21818
Pentaxian

K3 + DA*300 @8.3fps, I may try to use K1 (APSC mode @6.5fps) if I have the time and the chicks still not fledged.
05-27-2016, 06:59 AM   #21819
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
The K-1 does not change the "reach" of the lens, and the sensor does not increase the magnification of the lens. If this is what these people were referring to, then they are ignorant of what is happening in the camera. I am sure there is enough information on this forum and many other sites concerning the ASP-C "crop" sensor, but simply, the smaller sensor is just smaller, and taking a smaller portion of what the lens is actually providing. Take an image from a K-1, or any "full frame" sensor for that matter, and crop to give only 75% of the frame and you effectively have what the smaller sensor is providing. Heck, the K-1 does that IN CAMERA! Very helpful when you are using lenses designed for ASP-C and you can even over-ride this feature if you wish (I do so with a Sigma 10-20 zoom and can use the lens effectively down to 15mm in full frame mode)!

Regards,

BD
All true but in most cases the cropped camera puts that same image on significantly more pixels. The ASP-C camera gives you more reach through cropping. In my mind it means I get 1.5 times the reach. So with the K-1 the image of a bird in flight will be on far fewer pixels than if the identical shot were taken on a K-3. So the issue for me is does the larger pixel size, lower noise, etc let me crop enough to use a K-1 instead of a K-3. My guess - probably not. However if the autofocus is quicker and the tracking is better it might be a good alternative since the keeper rate would be improved.

---------- Post added 05-27-16 at 10:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kengoh Quote
K3 + DA*300 @8.3fps, I may try to use K1 (APSC mode @6.5fps) if I have the time and the chicks still not fledged.
Another fantastic series Ken. I did post some of the Lewes DE birds for you yesterday as requested.
05-27-2016, 07:22 AM   #21820
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
All true but in most cases the cropped camera puts that same image on significantly more pixels. The ASP-C camera gives you more reach through cropping. In my mind it means I get 1.5 times the reach. So with the K-1 the image of a bird in flight will be on far fewer pixels than if the identical shot were taken on a K-3. So the issue for me is does the larger pixel size, lower noise, etc let me crop enough to use a K-1 instead of a K-3. My guess - probably not. However if the autofocus is quicker and the tracking is better it might be a good alternative since the keeper rate would be improved.
I agree, if the pixels/imaging points are larger with the FF sensor. The question (and I have not seen anything to answer this yet), ARE the pixles larger, or are there just more of them? The K3 has 24.3 million pixels. The K-1, 36.4. Doing the math, 24.3 x 1.5 (the crop factor) equals, 36.45 (say 36.4). If I go to crop mode on the K-1, am I essentially shooting with a K-3 sensor? I would love someone with the knowledge to chime in to see if these two can be compared like this.

Regards,

BD
05-27-2016, 08:00 AM   #21821
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Absolutely Gold Medal work Kengoh !
05-27-2016, 08:40 AM   #21822
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
I agree, if the pixels/imaging points are larger with the FF sensor. The question (and I have not seen anything to answer this yet), ARE the pixles larger, or are there just more of them? The K3 has 24.3 million pixels. The K-1, 36.4. Doing the math, 24.3 x 1.5 (the crop factor) equals, 36.45 (say 36.4). If I go to crop mode on the K-1, am I essentially shooting with a K-3 sensor? I would love someone with the knowledge to chime in to see if these two can be compared like this.
The K-1 in crop mode is 15.36 megapixels. They are definitely larger. It's more like a K-5 sensor.
05-27-2016, 09:15 AM - 17 Likes   #21823
Pentaxian

More Meadow Pipits with food and a Corn Bunting. Better light today. . I was hoping to get shots of the adults feeding the young but they are still in the long grass. K-5/FA*600mm f4 ED[IF] on a Kirk window mount taken from the drivers seat of a car.

05-27-2016, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #21824
Pentaxian

Stunning captures with super bokeh! Thanks for sharing.
05-27-2016, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #21825
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fantastic series Ken - just wonderful!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Ducatigaz Quote
More Meadow Pipits with food and a Corn Bunting. Better light today. . I was hoping to get shots of the adults feeding the young but they are still in the long grass. K-5/FA*600mm f4 ED[IF] on a Kirk window mount taken from the drivers seat of a car.
And another great series - thanks Gary!!