07-06-2016, 05:19 AM   #22400
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks every one!
07-06-2016, 05:42 AM - 1 Like   #22401
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
Very nice location and probably the best time of year. In the summer you can be sucked dry by the mosquitoes!
There must be a few new species this year... Many people don't understand that there can be upwards of 25-30 different species of mosquitoes at Assateague on a given summer day.

I've only been living here for about 10 years, but I've never seen anything like this year. My wife and I both got a few bites last weekend and ended up with golf ball sized welts from them.
I caught one of the mosquitoes too, should have taken a picture. Not abnormal in size, but it was greyish brown and had a very tough skin to it. Hard to explain, but usually when you flick a mosquito there's not much to them. This guy took two or three hard flicks to finally get off my skin and had some resistance to it, like I could feel it through my nail. Right then I knew that bite was gonna be brutal - 10 days later and I still have a welt!

I refuse to use DEET, unless it's the only thing around.
I use Permathrin on my clothes, shoes, outter shell of backpack. And I use Avon Skin So Soft Expedition 30 SPF on skin.

Don't let that deter anyone from visiting!
Assateague is beautiful this time of year, though my favorite time on the island is end of September... Great waves, cool nights, less bugs, and less people . Not to mention waterfowl migration.
07-06-2016, 05:55 AM   #22402

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
"Hands" DFA 150-450 on K-1....1/9th crop (2086 by 2086)....hand held
Now THAT is amazing.... great capture.

07-06-2016, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #22403
Pentaxian

don't have any fingernails, but a photo of toenails I've got.

I don't think the feet arrived for the bird seed.
Attached Images

07-06-2016, 07:14 AM   #22404
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
I use Permathrin on my clothes, shoes, outter shell of backpack. And I use Avon Skin So Soft Expedition 30 SPF on skin.
Black Flies laugh at anything but 90% or better DEET. Black Fly season in NY runs from May through June, coinciding with the best trout fishing...
07-06-2016, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #22405
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There must be a few new species this year... Many people don't understand that there can be upwards of 25-30 different species of mosquitoes at Assateague on a given summer day.

I've only been living here for about 10 years, but I've never seen anything like this year. My wife and I both got a few bites last weekend and ended up with golf ball sized welts from them.
I caught one of the mosquitoes too, should have taken a picture. Not abnormal in size, but it was greyish brown and had a very tough skin to it. Hard to explain, but usually when you flick a mosquito there's not much to them. This guy took two or three hard flicks to finally get off my skin and had some resistance to it, like I could feel it through my nail. Right then I knew that bite was gonna be brutal - 10 days later and I still have a welt!

Assateague is beautiful this time of year, though my favorite time on the island is end of September... Great waves, cool nights, less bugs, and less people . Not to mention waterfowl migration.
We also have a lot of mosquitoes here in Texas this year, basically we always have them in the summer but they do seem more populated this year. We have also had lots of rain & flooding this year...

---------- Post added 07-06-16 at 09:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
you might have thought this stellar jay had a problem, but not really, just game time

Ah ha! sunny afternoon

17 seconds later: "I think I've been found out"
Looks like a youngster aren't the adults pretty much all blue ?
07-06-2016, 07:52 AM   #22406
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Black Flies laugh at anything but 90% or better DEET. Black Fly season in NY runs from May through June, coinciding with the best trout fishing...
That's unfortunate... permathrin and picaridin are both extremely effective and won't melt your camera gear like DEET!!
Just don't get permathrin on your skin !!!!!

07-06-2016, 08:54 AM   #22407
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by marquis1955 Quote
We also have a lot of mosquitoes here in Texas this year, basically we always have them in the summer but they do seem more populated this year. We have also had lots of rain & flooding this year...

---------- Post added 07-06-16 at 09:45 AM ----------

Looks like a youngster aren't the adults pretty much all blue ?
Nope. Black head and cape are normal colours for Stellers.
07-06-2016, 09:10 AM   #22408
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by riseform Quote
Although I find the brood parasitism of brown headed cowbirds interesting, it's kind of frustrating to witness. They apparently lay eggs in over 220 species of birds.
Victims I've spotted this year include a White-crowned sparrow, Nashville warbler and this Western tanager. At least with the tanager the cowbird picked on someone its own size.

K1 and DA 560 (first time out with this combo, shot full frame, cropped but no noise reduction and only a few Lightroom tweaks. I'm liking the higher shutter speeds I can obtain given the higher ISO performance)
You may now officially be the first to use the DA560 with the new K1! So here is a burning question: How is the Auto focus performance compared to the DA560+K3 combo?
Thanks and enjoy your new set-up!
Chris
07-06-2016, 09:13 AM   #22409
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

I just tried this out - seems to work fairly good
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015KG5NK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
otherwise it is back to Deep Woods Deet
07-06-2016, 09:43 AM   #22410
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
I just tried this out - seems to work fairly good
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015KG5NK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
otherwise it is back to Deep Woods Deet
Sawyer makes great products.
I actually was considering this same stuff but picked up some Repel lemon eucalyptus to try... we shall see!!