QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
"Hands" DFA 150-450 on K-1....1/9th crop (2086 by 2086)....hand held
Interesting shot. Nicely lighted.

07-06-2016, 12:49 PM   #22412
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
You may now officially be the first to use the DA560 with the new K1! So here is a burning question: How is the Auto focus performance compared to the DA560+K3 combo?
Thanks and enjoy your new set-up!
Chris
I think it's too early for me to render a useful opinion. It was fast and accurate, but I wasn't chasing warblers or birds in flight and did everything on a tripod. For this same type of shooting, I've not been frustrated with the K3. I'll update as I gain experience with more challenging situations.
07-06-2016, 01:17 PM   #22413
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
I just tried this out - seems to work fairly good
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015KG5NK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
otherwise it is back to Deep Woods Deet
Interesting, I'd like to give it a try. I haven't had much luck with anything except deet and/or completely covering up. The short season here seems like it makes them extra aggressive when they are plentiful and they certainly are plentiful right now as it's been rainy and leaving puddles around.

Here's what it was like recently during sunset near a wetland after flood waters had just receded. I had to break out the heavy armor!
07-06-2016, 01:45 PM   #22414
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Interesting, I'd like to give it a try. I haven't had much luck with anything except deet and/or completely covering up. The short season here seems like it makes them extra aggressive when they are plentiful and they certainly are plentiful right now as it's been rainy and leaving puddles around.

Here's what it was like recently during sunset near a wetland after flood waters had just receded. I had to break out the heavy armor!
Heavy Armor INDEED

07-06-2016, 01:59 PM   #22415
Veteran Member

Normal attire for most of non-urbanized Canada. It's necessary, since our mosquitoes aren't quite as scarce as shown in your left-hand photo. ...and long sleeves alone aren't sufficient. The fabric has to be a very tight weave to prevent the mosquitoes from inserting their probosci between the threads. Terry cloth and stone- or acid-washed denim are useless. I wish I could still find the untouched variety of denim.

Last edited by pete-tarmigan; 07-06-2016 at 02:09 PM.
07-06-2016, 02:02 PM   #22416
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Love the head gear! I should make something like that... bites in the face and neck are the worst... got a mosquito bite on my eyelid last year which pretty much ruined my weekend!

07-06-2016, 02:06 PM   #22417
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Love the head gear! I should make something like that... bites in the face and neck are the worst... got a mosquito bite on my eyelid last year which pretty much ruined my weekend!
No need to spend the time to make one. They're available in every sporting goods, hardware, gardening, travel and convenience store in Canada for only a few dollars apiece.

07-06-2016, 02:08 PM   #22418
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
No need to spend the time to make one. They're available in every sporting goods, hardware, gardening, travel and convenience store in Canada for only a few dollars apiece.
Yeah they're all over Maryland too, and amazon!
But I'm pretty sure I've got all the materials from an old Halloween costume lol.

07-06-2016, 02:16 PM   #22419
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Normal attire for most of non-urbanized Canada. It's necessary, since our mosquitoes aren't quite as scarce as shown in your left-hand photo. ...and long sleeves alone aren't sufficient. The fabric has to be a very tight weave to prevent the mosquitoes from inserting their probosci between the threads. Terry cloth and stone- or acid-washed denim are useless. I wish I could still find the untouched variety of denim.
Right I had my rain shell on to protect my upper body and a few got through those cotton pants. The shell worked for my upper body but it was way too hot! The worst was my right hand which I carried the tripod with. I probably had 50 bites on the back of my hand. I've since purchased a pair of these gloves which reduced the number to the single digits on a similar outing. Not perfect but much better. I also have some better pants that are nylon shell material made by North Face.

07-06-2016, 02:32 PM   #22420
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't see Norm chiming in on the insects but our central/north Ontario woods have swarms of deerflies as well as mosquitos. Deerflies buzz incessantly around your head as well as biting. One product that's offered is a dark, sticky patch you can attach to the back of your hat. My wife came back from her walk saying it didn't work but when we checked there were over a dozen flies attached to it. We'll be heading up there on Saturday!
07-06-2016, 02:38 PM   #22421
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
I don't see Norm chiming in on the insects but our central/north Ontario woods have swarms of deerflies as well as mosquitos. Deerflies buzz incessantly around your head as well as biting. One product that's offered is a dark, sticky patch you can attach to the back of your hat. My wife came back from her walk saying it didn't work but when we checked there were over a dozen flies attached to it. We'll be heading up there on Saturday!
My sister came up to help me pile my wood, so every minute I could work was doubled in effectiveness. SO I was feeding deer flies, not writing about them, not catching them in sticky paper. I'll have to look for some of that in the outfitters, sounds like a good idea.

12 days and counting before I get my new hip. After that, I doubt, I'll be taking many pictures for a bit.
07-06-2016, 02:46 PM   #22422
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Deerfly bites really hurt. Remember those occasionally getting me at Jones Beach when I was a kid. Insects here have not been too bad so far this year, I suspect because it's been quite dry. Walking through the woods, it's easy to tell when we've come down into or near a damp area as the biters start flying around your face.
07-06-2016, 02:50 PM   #22423
Veteran Member

Right I had my rain shell on to protect my upper body and a few got through those cotton pants. The shell worked for my upper body but it was way too hot! The worst was my right hand which I carried the tripod with. I probably had 50 bites on the back of my hand. I've since purchased a pair of these gloves which reduced the number to the single digits on a similar outing. Not perfect but much better. I also have some better pants that are nylon shell material made by North Face.
I've taken to the water in a folding boat but was close to ordering these - may still order next year
https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Summit-Pants-Socks-Medium/dp/B003L20TA0/ref=cm_wl_huc_item
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003PHZVH2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8...I3F91F6DD1SICR

---------- Post added 07-06-16 at 05:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My sister came up to help me pile my wood, so every minute I could work was doubled in effectiveness. SO I was feeding deer flies, not writing about them, not catching them in sticky paper. I'll have to look for some of that in the outfitters, sounds like a good idea.

12 days and counting before I get my new hip. After that, I doubt, I'll be taking many pictures for a bit.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery - keep us posted.
07-06-2016, 03:05 PM   #22424
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
I've taken to the water in a folding boat but was close to ordering these - may still order next year
https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Summit-Pants-Socks-Medium/dp/B003L20TA0/ref=cm_wl_huc_item
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003PHZVH2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8...I3F91F6DD1SICR[COLOR="Silver"]

I've looked at that too. I'm trying to work out a way to protect myself without deet (or with less of it) and make it just a few compact items I can always have along just in case. So the gloves and head net can work with my regular clothes to do the trick most of the time. But that bug jacket or the whole suit is tempting. Just know that if the mesh touches your exposed skin they can bite you through it so you still need sleeves underneath.
07-06-2016, 03:08 PM   #22425
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Have a matched pair of titanium hips. Surgical procedures seem to have improved between the first and second. I had home PT advice for about two weeks after the first (about 3~4 days using a walker, a cane for a couple weeks mostly as a hedge against losing my balance, and carried a staff when hiking in the woods for about a year, again primarily to protect against losing my balance). BUT after the second hip replacement, I discarded the walker as soon as I got home, used a cane for a bit. and a hiking staff for a few months. AND, no pain, ever.
« The M Club! | - »