Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91814 Likes Search this Thread
07-15-2016, 09:18 AM   #22516
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
Hi, one person I know is looking for a birding lens for its new acquired K-1 (he was using a Canon Bridge before). He's asking me what would be the best FF lens with AF for that, under 1600$ (CAN).
The only answer I am thinking of, would be the Sigma's 50-500 or 150-500 OS version...

the next step would be the DFA150-450, but it's 1000$ more...

I am missing something, or this is really the only options he would have ? (all used only, and pretty hard to find)

Sigma 300mm f2.8 APO EX DG.

07-15-2016, 09:24 AM   #22517
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
3 month time lapse....... Krispy Critter update (no focus tracking used in these shots....... )

Then....K3 shot (DFA 150-450)

and now....K-1 clearly brings out more detail in this shot ....(F*300/4.5....I thought a more mature lens was appropriate for this shot)

No need to thank me for bringing you this.......

Turns out not much eats you when your hooked up to 415volts or so.

I'm surprised the utility hasn't had a crew remove this. The decaying remains still present a hazard to the electric service, and will attract other animals looking for something to eat.

The utility I used to work for actively kept up with squirrels that would get caught up like this. Interruptions of power service to their customers were expected to be kept to a minimum.
07-15-2016, 10:01 AM   #22518
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll keep em coming in the months to come.... don't think he's going anywhere!

Cool. It's so hard to get regular images from the FBI "body farm."
07-15-2016, 12:12 PM   #22519
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'll keep em coming in the months to come.... don't think he's going anywhere!
Not of his own accord. And what is there to be squeamish about, it is an animal. Smell is the sense to cause squeamishness.

07-15-2016, 12:39 PM   #22520
Pentaxian

3 month time lapse....... Krispy Critter update (no focus tracking used in these shots....... )

Then....K3 shot (DFA 150-450)

and now....K-1 clearly brings out more detail in this shot ....(F*300/4.5....I thought a more mature lens was appropriate for this shot)

No need to thank me for bringing you this.......

Turns out not much eats you when your hooked up to 415volts or so.
A reasonable FF facsimile of my student's description of me to their parents over 23 years.
07-15-2016, 01:11 PM   #22521
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ducatigaz Quote
A new car window mount arrived this afternoon, this should help me overcome the problem of lack of height of the door glass because the platform that the ballhead is mounted to can be lowered, also the ballhead can be moved back or forward. It's made by a company called Eckla I have test fitted it to the door and it looks like it will work. The new car we are getting has more rake on the windscreen so the 600mm will not go through the drivers/passenger windows on the Kirk window mount

I did a lot of pondering over whether to get a Kirk or Eckla window mount. I finally went Kirk because how deep the doors on my Ford Edge are, i was not sure if it could mount properly. In any event, the Kirk works fine for now. I did have to get a couple of 1" risers so I could get a full rotation of my gimbal heads
07-15-2016, 01:25 PM   #22522
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I did a lot of pondering over whether to get a Kirk or Eckla window mount. I finally went Kirk because how deep the doors on my Ford Edge are, i was not sure if it could mount properly. In any event, the Kirk works fine for now. I did have to get a couple of 1" risers so I could get a full rotation of my gimbal heads
Because car door windows are usualy slightly curved I use a couple of wooden wedges to get the Kirk window mount to fit properly

07-15-2016, 03:13 PM   #22523
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ducatigaz Quote
A new car window mount arrived this afternoon, this should help me overcome the problem of lack of height of the door glass because the platform that the ballhead is mounted to can be lowered, also the ballhead can be moved back or forward. It's made by a company called Eckla I have test fitted it to the door and it looks like it will work. The new car we are getting has more rake on the windscreen so the 600mm will not go through the drivers/passenger windows on the Kirk window mount
nice, what kind of car is this ?
I was thinking of a windows mount for a while for the 250-600, but did not pull the trigger yet... I saw those Eckla mounts, and the reviews were pretty good.
I have a Nissan Murano, I don't know which would be the best for my car... but the Eckla is interesting!
Show us some pics with the lens mounted!

---------- Post added 2016-07-15 at 18:20 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Thanks! yes I forgot that one, actually, we dont see pics taken with this one often here...
I used to see a brand new copy sold from a online store in AB for 2000$ CAN 2 years ago...
I think that was a very good price!
07-15-2016, 08:26 PM   #22524
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote

my solution: a used pentax f* or FA 300 f 4.5 and the new pentax 1.4x converter.
07-15-2016, 09:46 PM   #22525
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
and the new pentax 1.4x converter
OK, but it is not FF compatible...
07-15-2016, 10:03 PM - 9 Likes   #22526

Here are some shots with my old manual lens SMC 500mm f/4.5

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some more pics with my SMC A 400mm f/5.6

Last edited by cleaverx; 09-05-2016 at 10:09 AM.
07-15-2016, 10:47 PM   #22527
Pentaxian

indeed the converter isn't FF which is a problem. it has everything to do with why I took my ancient Pentax - A 400 f-2.8, and equallly old pentax -L converters to alaska recently. I am most hopeful
that Pentax will soon bless us with an FF converter although manual focus isn't all bad in bird photography. I don't know how many times i've taken a picture of a fairly 'small in the frame' bird
and had the auto focus --focus perfecty on the background, and put the bird completely out of focus.
07-16-2016, 12:16 AM   #22528
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

M 400/5.6 is working for me

Here is a recent shot taken with the M 400/5.6 on K-3 1/125" @ f/8, ISO 800. It's a decent shot. This is the full 6000x4000 image. Taken on Manfrotto 055B with the LensMaster RH-2 gimbal head. Loving it! I should have switched from the ball head years ago. Without the AFA 1.7X the green button gives me a good exposure without compensation.

07-16-2016, 12:20 AM   #22529
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

But the Sigma is. As well as the Sigma 1.4 and 2.0 converters.

And they work great.
07-16-2016, 04:50 AM   #22530
Pentaxian

nice, what kind of car is this ?
I was thinking of a windows mount for a while for the 250-600, but did not pull the trigger yet... I saw those Eckla mounts, and the reviews were pretty good.
I have a Nissan Murano, I don't know which would be the best for my car... but the Eckla is interesting!
Show us some pics with the lens mounted!

---------- Post added 2016-07-15 at 18:20 ----------

Thanks! yes I forgot that one, actually, we dont see pics taken with this one often here...
I used to see a brand new copy sold from a online store in AB for 2000$ CAN 2 years ago...
I think that was a very good price!
Here are some pics with the 600mm mounted. The Kirk window mount sits on top of the door trim so with a ballhead fitted it is much higher. The platform on the Eckla mount can be lowered so the ballhead is below the top of the door trim. In one of the pictures you can see that I have riveted a piece of aluminium to the bracket that should slide down past the window and into the door, the bracket supplied was not long enough to be safe, I didn't want the whole lot falling off the door when I'm driving up a track. With the platform fully lowered I think a gimbal could be used and I will give this a try at some point.
The measurment of the window opening at the back of the door on the peugeot 308SW is about seventeen inches, on the new car that is coming, a Vauxhall Insignia Sports Tourer the window measures about fourteen inches.

Last edited by Ducatigaz; 07-16-2016 at 05:02 AM.