Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91913 Likes Search this Thread
07-21-2016, 04:50 AM - 1 Like   #22576

QuoteOriginally posted by Kameko Quote
This was one of those days I wish I'd had rain boots on. Y'know when you get excited about seeing a bird, and don't notice you're standing in water until your shoes have already filled up?

These images appear to be WELL WORTH the wet feet!!!! Beautiful light, great capture. Would you mind sharing the lens used?

07-21-2016, 10:48 AM   #22577
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcerrati Quote
These images appear to be WELL WORTH the wet feet!!!! Beautiful light, great capture. Would you mind sharing the lens used?
Thanks! My shoes are now in the dryer I was using the DA 560
07-21-2016, 12:42 PM - 5 Likes   #22578

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K-50 with SMC 500mm f/4.5.

Great Blue Heron after taking a bath. Still have a mohawk

Last edited by cleaverx; 07-21-2016 at 06:49 PM.
07-21-2016, 01:07 PM   #22579
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
Have not seen too much this summer, most of my spots are empty. Going to have to try some new spots it seems. Did manage to get this Kingfisher from the driver's seat. I've learned to get a few shots off before getting out of the car if I can. As usual once I opened the door and got out, gone.

Bigma and K3, very windy conditions.

Nice cobwebs.

07-21-2016, 01:10 PM   #22580
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Wowww... I can't believe it's been 3 months since I've posted here! When life gets busy! Here's a few from the last few weeks all taken w/the DA 560mm

Anna's Hummingbird

Violet-green Swallows

I can't say I think this is a great image, but I'm still getting use to the 560 w/the 1.4x TC

Nice work Kameko.

Welcome back!
07-21-2016, 01:51 PM - 1 Like   #22581

Alongside my new hybrid camera the tele lenses on the K3 feel like they're from the stone age as far as AF speed goes. No point in preferring their IQ if there's no I to begin with when trying to handhold shoot BIFs.

I've been gathering tips to improve the AF success rate and image quality. Comments welcomed.

1. Turn off SR when panning.
2. Turn up the ISO to allow a fast shutter.
3. Leave the CPL off.
4. Set AF Hold to high.
5. Use 1 or 9 AF points. Views vary on whether going pink works.

Any other options?

My main problem is when failing to lock on, the DA300 prime goes down to minimum focus and back (and the bird's out of the frame). The Tokina 400mm f5.6 hunts fruitlessly.
07-21-2016, 02:30 PM - 8 Likes   #22582
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Wowww... I can't believe it's been 3 months since I've posted here! When life gets busy! Here's a few from the last few weeks all taken w/the DA 560mm

Anna's Hummingbird

Violet-green Swallows

I can't say I think this is a great image, but I'm still getting use to the 560 w/the 1.4x TC
Hello Kameko,

I will be curious to see your future results with the DA560 + 1.4tc combo. In my experience, it has a high learning curve, which has to do with understanding and getting to know its limitations mainly: the focal length for me (always shooting handheld) meant rediscovering the maximum shutter time, but overall the AF limitations and the loss of light make this a pretty demanding combo to get good results with. Shooting the bare lens is a revelation after forcing myself to make use of the longer focal length of the combo. Still, you can get terrific shots with it.

Here are some of the DA560 without the 1.4tc that are cropped at least as much as to mimic the combo focal length (and some more). I keep trying out what produces the better results...

Chris

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by Chris Mak; 07-26-2016 at 06:04 AM.
07-21-2016, 02:33 PM - 20 Likes   #22583
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hummingbirds in Nest

In June my daughter found a hummingbird's nest and I started going out every other day to keep a photo record as they progressed. From hatching till the day they left was 21 days. The mother would not come need the nest if I was anywhere near so in order to get these shots I would set up my camera with a wireless trigger and then I would go and hide behind a rock outcropping and watch the nest with binoculars. The following shots were taken on their last day in the nest as I returned the following day for one more shoot but they were gone. It was rather humorous to watch as the tiny chicks basically grew out of the nest. The last day the chicks were taking turns flexing and flapping their wings and it was quite apparent they were getting ready to go. As a point of interest after the chicks left and I measured the outside diameter of the nest, the nest had become rather misshapen and stretched as the chicks grew and still the nest was only 2 inches wide when measured on the outside of the nest. I was really fortunate to be able to watch this whole process. Doubt I'll ever see it again at least not with hummers. BTW Sig 500
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
07-21-2016, 07:58 PM   #22584

QuoteOriginally posted by rkappleby Quote
In June my daughter found a hummingbird's nest and I started going out every other day to keep a photo record as they progressed. From hatching till the day they left was 21 days. The mother would not come need the nest if I was anywhere near so in order to get these shots I would set up my camera with a wireless trigger and then I would go and hide behind a rock outcropping and watch the nest with binoculars. The following shots were taken on their last day in the nest as I returned the following day for one more shoot but they were gone. It was rather humorous to watch as the tiny chicks basically grew out of the nest. The last day the chicks were taking turns flexing and flapping their wings and it was quite apparent they were getting ready to go. As a point of interest after the chicks left and I measured the outside diameter of the nest, the nest had become rather misshapen and stretched as the chicks grew and still the nest was only 2 inches wide when measured on the outside of the nest. I was really fortunate to be able to watch this whole process. Doubt I'll ever see it again at least not with hummers. BTW Sig 500
What amazing pictures. I never saw Hummingbird nest. Thanks for sharing.
07-21-2016, 08:08 PM   #22585
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Those are amazing!
07-21-2016, 08:23 PM   #22586
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I started going out every other day
Great idea!
But I would forget to go out for the second picture
07-21-2016, 08:25 PM   #22587
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done!!! Thanks for sharing.
07-21-2016, 08:30 PM   #22588
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the comments guys its appreciated - if you are interested I posted a series of photos on the post your photos thread that I took every other day as the chicks grew. Taken with a few different lenses
07-21-2016, 09:54 PM - 1 Like   #22589
Pentaxian

Life is hard.

07-21-2016, 10:18 PM   #22590
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sigmund Quote
Alongside my new hybrid camera the tele lenses on the K3 feel like they're from the stone age as far as AF speed goes. No point in preferring their IQ if there's no I to begin with when trying to handhold shoot BIFs.

I've been gathering tips to improve the AF success rate and image quality. Comments welcomed.

1. Turn off SR when panning.
2. Turn up the ISO to allow a fast shutter.
3. Leave the CPL off.
4. Set AF Hold to high.
5. Use 1 or 9 AF points. Views vary on whether going pink works.

Any other options?

My main problem is when failing to lock on, the DA300 prime goes down to minimum focus and back (and the bird's out of the frame). The Tokina 400mm f5.6 hunts fruitlessly.
I use single point focus for everything bar landscapes, and have no issue with focussing speed and never have had really. The only time I have had issues is using a 120 400 Sigma and Teleconverter, which did hunt a bit in lower light.