Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91793 Likes Search this Thread
07-21-2016, 10:27 PM - 3 Likes   #22591
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
another california quail shot with the one on previous page

The camera guy (me) messed this one up big time. I was pursuing this bird in an overgrown parking lot by driving around and shootingout the window with a F*300 4.5 and a 1.4xconverter. This quail
isn't much on flyway away from you but they will run away from you. I circled around and got in front of him, but then I was suddenly too close. I really didn't have time to kick off the converter
when the bird turned and stared at me. I cut the birds feet and tail off, but nailed the head..... IT could be that I should try to salvage this by turning into just a head shot....

AFterall the point of the photo is the 'head shot'..... Note how fearsome this otherwise rather passive bird is when it looks directly at you. --- sort of explains its color scheme that
has no message at all when you look at the usual profile. Anyhow it's the straight in the face look that put this photo here, not my miserable technique.

same photo as above but I carried out my ruminations as aggressive cropping. Can you see the giant black mouth????

07-22-2016, 04:10 AM   #22592
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The face-on shot is OK. The expression (if birds have one) looks to me more quizzical than threatening (owls, hawks, eagles head-on look imperious). Insofar as birds have no facial muscles below the skin as mammals do, they''re pretty much limited to opening the beak to a greater or less extent to vary the facially communicated "mood."
07-22-2016, 09:08 AM   #22593
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Nice cobwebs.
Thanks, I did not even know they were there until I processed the files.
07-22-2016, 10:15 AM - 6 Likes   #22594
Pentaxian

A couple of shots from my car today. K-5/FA*600mm F4 ED [IF] on an Eckla window mount

07-22-2016, 03:33 PM   #22595
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kameko Quote
Anna's Hummingbird
Props for getting this one on the Ricoh Facebook page the other day! And get some Chacos for wading
07-22-2016, 05:35 PM   #22596
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
Can you see the giant black mouth????
Yep, maybe like a striking snake--good insight into the possible usefulness of the design.
07-22-2016, 05:47 PM - 21 Likes   #22597
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pygmy Owl from last weekend K1, DA 560
I've always had to photograph these aiming at the tops of trees. This was the first time I've ever seen one close to eye level

07-22-2016, 06:15 PM   #22598
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Those hummer photos in the nest are absolutely amazing! Fantastic captures; once in a lifetime opportunity!
07-22-2016, 07:43 PM - 6 Likes   #22599
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
Hello Kameko,

I will be curious to see your future results with the DA560 + 1.4tc combo. In my experience, it has a high learning curve, which has to do with understanding and getting to know its limitations mainly: the focal length for me (always shooting handheld) meant rediscovering the maximum shutter time, but overall the AF limitations and the loss of light make this a pretty demanding combo to get good results with. Shooting the bare lens is a revelation after forcing myself to make use of the longer focal length of the combo. Still, you can get terrific shots with it.

Chris
I went out one day w/the DA560 + 1.4tc combo, determined to learn how to use it (in a day) and was so disappointed with the results. I've been hesitant to pair the 2 since then. AF is a non-issue for me, but the F8 really hurts unless it's a nice, sunny day. Maybe I'll try using the combo more often.

Those grebe shots are killer! They never, ever sit still for me!

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
Props for getting this one on the Ricoh Facebook page the other day! And get some Chacos for wading
Thanks! I wouldn't have noticed if someone hadn't commented about it on Flickr. You should see the wading shoes now, they've gone from jet black to grey

Here's one from today w/the 560
07-22-2016, 08:57 PM   #22600

QuoteOriginally posted by riseform Quote
I've always had to photograph these aiming at the tops of trees. This was the first time I've ever seen one close to eye level
Amazing shots with a great detail. I am getting K-1 next month. Can't wait to use it with my Pentax SMC 500mm f/4.5 and SMC A 400mm f/5.6.
07-22-2016, 10:15 PM   #22601
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow the details, light and color are incredible!
07-23-2016, 02:04 AM - 3 Likes   #22602

More Aussie birds. K3 and Tokina f5.6 400mm

They've been cropped and enlarged 2 X.

Both from the Finke R in the Northern Territory, said to be one of the oldest rivers on the planet at c. 300 million years. Most of the time it's a string of ponds.

Whistling Kite and White-necked Heron.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by Sigmund; 07-23-2016 at 02:57 AM.
07-23-2016, 03:23 AM - 9 Likes   #22603
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I went out one day w/the DA560 + 1.4tc combo, determined to learn how to use it (in a day) and was so disappointed with the results. I've been hesitant to pair the 2 since then. AF is a non-issue for me, but the F8 really hurts unless it's a nice, sunny day. Maybe I'll try using the combo more often.
That sounds very similar to my initial feelings towards this combo. I almost sold the 1.4tc converter! But don't give up, you can actually get great results with the combo, and you get a reach that gets you close. Having a lot more pixels to work with also lessens the downside of the loss of light somewhat. Here are some recent shots that show you where I am at this point with the combo, although I like shooting the bare lens a lot more when out in the wild.... All were handheld as I always do.

Those grebe shots are killer! They never, ever sit still for me!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by Chris Mak; 07-23-2016 at 03:51 AM.
07-23-2016, 05:21 AM - 3 Likes   #22604

Me wants a DA560 .......But I will have to settle for the DA*300 and TC for now. A couple from last evening.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
07-23-2016, 05:25 AM   #22605
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's a great set. I like the second one especially - in a great fluff.